Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Registry Cleanup by evenicoulddoit
Hi All, I've tried using the Microsoft Answers forum... but they've not exactly been helpful. I also have a 32bit OS, sorry! A while back in attempting to check and correct my registry of any problems I downloaded a program, RegSeeker (from Softpedia), which edited permissions and has caused great problems since. (The program has been verified as non-malicious, but clearly it doesn't do it's...
January 24th 10 05:35 PM
by evenicoulddoit Go to last post
0 199
Preparing to Recycle - Calculating by Inglo[_2_]
I have occasion to clean out a large number of folders, I do this by searching through them by file type. The search will return x number of files of type a, b, and c. Where x may be a few thousand files. I then select all from the search return window and delete. The "Preparing to Recycle" window pops up and begine "Calculating". This often takes over a half an hour. I'm at 23...
January 24th 10 05:18 PM
by richc46 Go to last post
4 342
Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage virus Message by Marz
I was hoping that someone could either answer this question or direct me to a place where I could find an answer in another forum. I thought this was a good place to start. I have a PC game called Air Conflicts on my Dell Inspiron 1501 running Vista Home Premium. There have been a couple of times recently when my MS Calendar interrupted the game by popping up an event reminder. Then, I get...
January 23rd 10 02:43 PM
by Marz Go to last post
2 247
registry errors by doneganw
Dear All, Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors? I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has lots of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment though. -- Bye, William J. Donegan
January 22nd 10 05:02 AM
by doneganw Go to last post
0 203
desktop freezing when idle by djfergy
I have Vista Home Premium 32bit. When my PC becomes idle for different periods of time, my desktop freezes. The little blue circle doesn't move, mouse doesn't work, Ctrl, Alt, Delete doesn't work. I have to turn it off and on again to get it to work. As long as the system stays busy with something in motion, everything is terrific. This has been going on for a couple of weeks &...
January 20th 10 08:23 PM
by TGL Go to last post
6 384
Failed drive? by Hanlet
Hi all, For a few weeks my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525) had been randomly freezing, and earlier today it froze. I did what I usually do, which was restart and wait, but this time it just wouldn't turn on; it kept telling me it had failed to start correctly. After trying again and again with the system repair, with no luck, I tried safe mode, which still wouldn't work. After exploring different...
January 20th 10 07:18 PM
by David B.[_3_] Go to last post
4 461
APPCRASH...StackHash_fd00 exporer error...?? by black mamba
Hi all frm the last few days im getting this error...kindly help me wat to do with it?? Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: Explorer.EXE Application Version: 6.0.6001.18164 Application Timestamp: 4907e242 Fault Module Name: StackHash_fd00 Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
January 20th 10 01:15 PM
by Jeff puckett Go to last post
3 984
Failed drive? by Hanlet
Hi all, For a few weeks my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525) had been randomly freezing, and earlier today it froze. I did what I usually do, which was restart and wait, but this time it just wouldn't turn on; it kept telling me it had failed to start correctly. After trying again and again with the system repair, with no luck, I tried safe mode, which still wouldn't work. After exploring different...
January 20th 10 01:50 AM
by Hanlet Go to last post
0 278
Out of focus background by dkling60
Why is it all of the sudden anything I choose as a desktop background is enlarged and out of focus? Not just images I've downloaded, but the "stock" backgrounds offered by Windows. I'm getting close-ups on both. I've tried re-sizing them but no soap. I haven't changed any resolution settings either. What gives?
January 19th 10 10:53 PM
by nimi09 Go to last post
3 355
Hibernate won't power off...it' restarts! by deltrey[_4_]
Hoping someone can help me out here. I'm running 64bit Vista Ultimate on my pc and it just will not power off when I click hibernate. Instead it just reboots. I have the settings all set the same as another computer in my house which powers down properly. I would appreciate if anyone could help me out...starting to go a little crazy over here :confused: --
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 19th 10 01:33 AM
by sjak8150 Go to last post
11 548
Inefficient use of memory? by Robert Miles
I'm getting what looks like inefficient use of the memory on two of my computers. On one, with 8 GB, Windows Task Manager - Performance currently reports: Physical Memory Usage History constant at 4.90 GB Physical Memory (MB)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 18th 10 09:52 AM
by Steven Turner Go to last post
16 551
Wi Fi by Connie[_3_]
I have a laptop and would like to be able to use it at Starbucks or Panera Bread. I don't understand how it works. Is there a charge and more importantly, how do I connect? Will all laptops connect or do I need a particular software? At home I use a router from my desktop.
January 18th 10 12:40 AM
by Dave Warren Go to last post
2 339
Wi Fi by Connie[_3_]
I have a laptop and would like to be able to use it at Starbucks or Panera Bread. I don't understand how it works. Is there a charge and more importantly, how do I connect? Will all laptops connect or do I need a particular software? At home I use a router from my desktop.
January 17th 10 11:26 PM
by Connie[_3_] Go to last post
0 209
Help please, can't start up!! by Excessive
When I start the PC, after the loading bar for Microsoft thing finishes,instead of going to login screen it gives me a blue screen, and it says Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. This just happened overnight!!!! Help please. :( --
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 16th 10 06:12 PM
by Sandy[_2_] Go to last post
20 777
CHKDSK Problems by StewartGuy
Just some time ago i decided to run an error check on my HP Laptop that has vista home edition... for some reason it froze at 4% in the first stage (1 of 5), at this point i was able to exit the error check by pressing Escape, i went on and defragmented my computer next and did various virus and spyware cleanups, then i decided to do the error check again, this time the same thing happened but...
January 16th 10 05:26 PM
by darkseed Go to last post
7 316
damn toshiba please help by lordfucus01
Hello, i need help with partitioning my drive first here's the specs toshiba satellite LG355D vista home premium 350 gig HDD w/100.3 gigs free... I am wanting to install linux mint 8 but when i try to shrink, all it alots me is 49Mb unallocated space which is no where near enough:mad:... soo I am stuck, I am wanting to allocate at least 10GB...... please help!! this is the only computer i have...
January 16th 10 01:27 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
2 310
Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service by Ronc
Won't start... Error: 1717 The Interface is Unknown Aside from reinstalling the OS, can it be fixed? All I have to work with currently is an image disk provided by the manufacturer of Vista Ultimate which would start over with old drivers and old Vista (pre SP1).
January 16th 10 10:05 AM
by Ronc Go to last post
0 182
Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service by Ronc
Won't start... Error: 1717 The Interface is Unknown Aside from reinstalling the OS, can it be fixed? All I have to work with currently is an image disk provided by the manufacturer of Vista Ultimate which would start over with old drivers and old Vista (pre SP1).
January 16th 10 10:05 AM
by Ronc Go to last post
0 349
damn toshiba please help by lordfucus01
Hello, i need help with partitioning my drive first here's the specs toshiba satellite LG355D vista home premium 350 gig HDD w/100.3 gigs free... I am wanting to install linux mint 8 but when i try to shrink, all it alots me is 49Mb unallocated space which is no where near enough:mad:... soo I am stuck, I am wanting to allocate at least 10GB...... please help!! this is the only computer i have...
January 16th 10 04:26 AM
by lordfucus01 Go to last post
0 213
Help please, can't start up!! by Excessive
When I start the PC, after the loading bar for Microsoft thing finishes,instead of going to login screen it gives me a blue screen, and it says Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. This just happened overnight!!!! Help please. :( --
January 15th 10 09:19 PM
by Excessive Go to last post

From The