Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
explorer.exe 92% CPU usage, Vista 64-Bit ultimate. by James
Windows Explorer looses the plot and relentlesly consumes massive amounts of CPU for no reason, please HELP! It's happened a few times now and it's usally after a few hours of use, this is obviously a bug :rollseyes: Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
June 16th 08 12:34 AM
by ladhani[_2_] Go to last post
3 181
Applications can't connect to the internet by Noctamid[_2_]
Hello! Well I guess I am one of the many that also have problems connecting to the internet. I found this page a read youre posts. I can't get any webpage working, and ontop of that all programs I have that need internet access (such as Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Steam, Playonline, Hlsw, Msn, yahoo messenger and so on) don't work. When the applications start I get an error and they shut down. And...
June 15th 08 09:54 PM
by Noctamid[_3_] Go to last post
2 193
Unable to Access Control Panel Selections by blksmth52
I'm running Vista Home Premium x64, 2GB memory, NVidia 8600 GT with ASUS M2N motherboard. My problem is this: About four days ago I started my system and left the room. When I came back the monitor was blank even though the computer was running. I had to do power button shut down. It started back up without a problem. Later on I tried to open the device manager from the control panel and got a...
June 15th 08 07:30 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
7 279
utilizing second hard drive by Bressler
my system has two hard drives. is it possible to improve performance by utilizing second (D) drive. there are times when the (C) drives seems to be working overtime what with all the background features in Vista. I'm not a techie, so would appreciate if somebody could explain what I need to do.. I do know that they are set up as master/slave. -- Bressler
June 15th 08 02:03 PM
by Victek Go to last post
7 245
Slow start after hiybrid sleep and power down by Pieter de Vries
My Vista-SP1 PC starts rather slowly after it has been put into hybrid sleep and the mains power has been down. This is strange as it starts quickly after pure hibernate, what should be the same. Start times are as follows: Hybrid-Sleep (mains power on stays on): 15 sec Hybrid-Sleep (mains power has been off): 120 sec Hibernate: 35 sec Remarkable at the start after hybrid sleep (+power down)...
June 15th 08 01:56 PM
by Pieter de Vries Go to last post
0 222
I need help windows base score is not showing up.. by conker
Windows base score is not showing up at all.. i need help .. can someone help me correct this problem.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/fidelito17/performanceratingnotworkingimage.jpg can someone help me????
June 15th 08 12:53 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 217
Windows features on/off error by Tom[_12_]
Hello, When I try to use the "Turn windows features on or off" function in Windows Vista Home Premium, I get this message: "An error has occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed". I have tried several times on different features, enabling or disabling the feature, always the same error message and nothing is changed. When I bought this computer two months ago it was...
June 15th 08 12:02 PM
by Tom[_12_] Go to last post
0 233
Vista problems by Leah
I bought my computer 12/19/07 and unfortunately it only had the option of coming with Vista. 2 months after purchasing my new PC, the desktop completely disappeared, leaving me with only an explorer window to navigate my computer. Since then, all of my USB drives have disappeared to where I can't use my printer, keyboard, mouse, card reader, etc. I spoke with the manufacturer who said they...
June 15th 08 10:56 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
2 241
Windows Explorer toolbar keeps shutting down by ClancD
I'm running Vista Home Basic. The main toolbar at the bottom of the screen keeps locking up, I try to click on something, it won't work, then I get a message that Windows Explorer is Not Responding. I then click to restart it, it will work for a few seconds, then the whole process repeats. I have run a virus scan, done a disk cleanup and defraged it, to help. Is there anything I can do short...
June 15th 08 04:48 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 210
Can't see defrag scheduler by Levi2003
I have tried to open the defrag screen to see when it is set to defrag. According to one of the posts, it does it automaticly. When I click on it, the cursor just sits there and spins. I even have tried to open it from the start menu, using the search option, and now when I hit the start button, I can't access anything else in there also. Why is this so hard?
June 15th 08 04:17 AM
by Brink Go to last post
3 227
Vista Ultimate - kb938371 installation error by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint) "John Campbell" John wrote in message ... Hello all, I repeatedly get an installation error when trying to install update KB938371. The error number is: 8E5E03FB. Since automatic update is on, this has been going on quite a while. I even tried downling the...
June 14th 08 08:56 PM
by Robert Aldwinckle Go to last post
0 210
Explorer/Office Error Message by Concern1
Hello and thanks for your replies. I just recently upgraded from XP to Windows Vista SP 1 and I've ran into a couple of problems. As I am using Internet Explorer and Office, and for no apparent reason, all of sudden I get an error message saying that it has encountered a problem and that it needs to close and restart. The last time I wa using "IE" it happened when I clicked on a preview of a...
June 14th 08 06:57 PM
by Concern1 Go to last post
4 244
MIDI files will not play!!! by Frank Bloater
Greeting! My Windows Media Player has stopped playing MIDI files. What could be the problem? Thanks for any help you can give me. :-
June 14th 08 06:56 PM
by Frank Bloater Go to last post
0 189
Lost CD/DVD drives by F.Hagan
Hi this keeps happening every couple of months,running vist basic with a pretty new Dell inspiron 530.it entails a full format and reload to get the drives back.I think some-one mentioned once before this was a Vista problem Any Ideas thanks.
June 14th 08 05:58 PM
by C.B.[_5_] Go to last post
1 238
dll_unloaded errors by Nick
Hi.. I have been getting a few *.dll_unloaded errors recently which result in the explorer shell crashing and needing to be restarted. Its not a huge problem as it only happens perhaps once or twice a day (sometimes not at all) but it's a little inconvenient as I use a Dreamscene desktop video which I need to reset it after each crash. I have only noticed the error with the following dll...
June 14th 08 04:31 PM
by RodneyMullen Go to last post
1 263
Windows Vista and Publisher by scmustangmom
I have a publication that I did with Publisher 2003 and can't open it up on Vista. I have my old Office XP disks and was wondering if there is a way to use the program off of the disc on Vista. How would I extract only the Publisher program?
June 14th 08 04:49 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
4 231
Latest Vista Critical Updates Affecting Performance by Jeff
I installed the lastest Vista Updates (8) yesterday (6/11) and I have noticed a significant performance degradation including it now taking about 15-120 minutes for my computer to start up. Has anyone else experienced this?
June 13th 08 10:27 PM
by jlafay Go to last post
6 230
Windows Update Issues by Tr1X
I keep getting this windows update error. http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/xp0theadX/WindowsExplorer.jpg] I dont know if its updated or not because it wont let me do anything, and i tried updating it and it wont work. now i have no other choices but to try reboot my computer. anyone know anything i can try before i reboot my computer? --
June 13th 08 04:29 PM
by Mark H[_2_] Go to last post
1 229
XPath Query in Event Viewer by Dave Lawlor
I am trying to do a query to bring back only records that have a IP address from the event data: EventData Data Name="SubjectUserSid"S-1-5-18/Data Data Name="SubjectUserName"DAVE-PC$/Data Data Name="SubjectDomainName"WORKGROUP/Data Data Name="SubjectLogonId"0x3e7/Data Data Name="TargetUserSid"S-1-5-18/Data Data Name="TargetUserName"SYSTEM/Data
June 13th 08 01:21 PM
by Dave Lawlor[_2_] Go to last post
2 258
System Restore by djmorgan
Seems like as good as place as any for this. Now I like system restore! in the XP days it saved my bacon many times In Vista SR runs off the scheduler with an MS provided template that I have not adjusted in any way. I am noticing that I am not getting any restore points set except the manual ones or at install uninstall of programs.
June 13th 08 10:37 AM
by djmorgan Go to last post

From The