Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Installed Usable Memory by Paul Calcagno
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2), with 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, CA Security Suite, MBAB, SuperAntiSpyware Professional, Cleaner and Spybot search and destroy on an Acer Aspire T180 desktop. All WU's are current and the machine is working just great. About 6 months ago I noticed a reduction in the amount of usable installed memory. I have 2048 MB of installed RAM in 3 slots (512 MB,...
January 6th 10 02:13 PM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
6 311
Control Panel Crashes Windows Explorer by phassionate
I have found the solution to this problem: Boot up in safe mode 9keep tapping F8 when the pc's just booting up) then, navigate to windows/system32 then delete a file called cpqikey.cpl This should fix your problem. Though, I've read that there may be other offending .cpl files in the system32 folder. Start with this one
January 6th 10 12:44 AM
by DANYO1337 Go to last post
8 355
System Restore Will Not Restore by Mike[_32_]
I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder if anyone here has an answer. http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/889274-system-restore-will-not-restore.html
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 5th 10 11:10 PM
by Mike[_32_] Go to last post
18 533
Vista Hibernates shortly after resuming. by richytay
Hi. I have an Acer 5735 Laptop with vista Home Premium 32 bit. My machine hibernates fine, but when I resume it from hibernation, I have start using it straight away (ie just moving the mouse). If I don't interact with it, it will start hibernating again within a minute. This is frustrating bacause it means I have to sit and watch it awake from hibernation. Is this normal? Is there a way to stop...
January 4th 10 07:38 AM
by richytay Go to last post
0 273
Vista Hibernates shortly after resuming. by richytay
Hi. I have an Acer 5735 Laptop with vista Home Premium 32 bit. My machine hibernates fine, but when I resume it from hibernation, I have start using it straight away (ie just moving the mouse). If I don't interact with it, it will start hibernating again within a minute. This is frustrating bacause it means I have to sit and watch it awake from hibernation. Is this normal? Is there a way to stop...
January 4th 10 07:38 AM
by richytay Go to last post
0 228
Installed Usable Memory by Paul Calcagno
R C. Thanks for the tip. I'll try taking your suggestion with this post. Most others just think it's sufficient to just yell at me for double posting. You were the only one to actually be helpful about it. Paul C. "R. C. White" wrote in message ... Hi, Paul.
January 4th 10 03:44 AM
by Paul Calcagno Go to last post
0 264
Installed Usable Memory by Paul Calcagno
R C. Thanks for the tip. I'll try taking your suggestion with this post. Most others just think it's sufficient to just yell at me for double posting. You were the only one to actually be helpful about it. Paul C. "R. C. White" wrote in message ... Hi, Paul.
January 4th 10 03:44 AM
by Paul Calcagno Go to last post
0 173
CHKDSK Frequency by Frank C[_2_]
What is a reasonble frequency to run CHKDSK? I would consider my computer use "light" probably creating about one file per day. I run disk cleanup weekly. Thanks Frank C Dell Inspiron 530S Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2 Dell studio laptop Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2 HP Photosmart D7260
January 3rd 10 04:12 PM
by Frank C[_2_] Go to last post
4 306
Installed Usable Memory by Paul Calcagno
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2), with 2 GB of RAM, Firefox, CA Security Suite, MBAB, SuperAntiSpyware Professional, Cleaner and Spybot search and destroy on an Acer Aspire T180 desktop. All WU's are current and the machine is working just great. About 6 months ago I noticed a reduction in the amount of usable installed memory. I have 2048 MB of installed RAM in 3 slots (512 MB,...
January 3rd 10 03:51 PM
by Paul Calcagno Go to last post
0 144
WRENCH ICON NOT SHOWING FOR TOGGLING ANALOG CLOCK & OTHER GADGETS' by goobmeister
I have an ACER 1410 Netbook running Vista Home Premium--other users whose desktops I've viewed have a wrench icon that appears when holding the pointer over the analog clock face (or other gadgets)...I only have a caret pointing down and an "x" to close the gadget...why can't I see the wrench and left- and right-pointing "arrows" that allow enhanced toggling of features in the gadgets? I...
January 3rd 10 12:47 PM
by goobmeister Go to last post
0 144
WRENCH ICON NOT SHOWING FOR TOGGLING ANALOG CLOCK & OTHER GADGETS' by goobmeister
I have an ACER 1410 Netbook running Vista Home Premium--other users whose desktops I've viewed have a wrench icon that appears when holding the pointer over the analog clock face (or other gadgets)...I only have a caret pointing down and an "x" to close the gadget...why can't I see the wrench and left- and right-pointing "arrows" that allow enhanced toggling of features in the gadgets? I...
January 3rd 10 12:47 PM
by goobmeister Go to last post
0 211
CHKDSK Frequency by Frank C[_2_]
What is a reasonble frequency to run CHKDSK? I would consider my computer use "light" probably creating about one file per day. I run disk cleanup weekly. Thanks Frank C Dell Inspiron 530S Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2 Dell studio laptop Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2 HP Photosmart D7260
January 2nd 10 02:29 PM
by Frank C[_2_] Go to last post
0 153
Black screen and CHKDSK when I restart by trepanation
I'm sorry if some of this information is vague, not too great with computers...anyways... I have Gateway laptop with Vista (not sure if it's 64-bit or 32-bit) and I've been using it for about 10 months and yesterday, I noticed that when I got online, it was really laggy and saw that 99% of the memory was being used, so I decided to restart it. (I didn't even have three programs up.) Right before...
January 2nd 10 11:12 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
6 262
Machine Check Exception 0x0000009C by Falcon[_9_]
The machine is a six month old Acer Aspire 5920, running Windows Visa Home Premium, and of course there is no disc provided. Any attempt to start up either in safe mode (F8 - any option selected) Normal Windows mode, or the Acer recovery mode (Alt & F10) results in a BSOD with the following Machine Check Error message: Stop: 0x0000009C (0X00000003, 0X8304B120, 0XF2200004, 0X0B02010A) The error...
January 2nd 10 09:22 AM
by Chuck[_2_] Go to last post
8 248
Recovery Drive by goodtimez
I need some help! I have a inspiron 530s computer, it has two hard disk drives. The os (c:) drive and the recovery (d:)drive. The os drive is only about 25% full but the recovery drive is 99% full. It keeps telling me my backup failed that i need to free up space, but i don't know what to do or what to delete...... Could some one help me out?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 2nd 10 09:05 AM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
11 516
Windows Time Service errors by Steven L.[_2_]
I have Vista SP2. The Event Viewer shows that I keep getting the following type of error message repeatedly: NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time.windows.com,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9) This is but one of...
January 2nd 10 12:30 AM
by Steven L.[_2_] Go to last post
4 169
Windows Time Service errors by Steven L.[_2_]
"Peter Foldes" bounce@bounce wrote in message : Steven Vista what? Can you let us know. Also do you have any Office versions installed and if so which one along with the SP level Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2.
January 2nd 10 12:30 AM
by Steven L.[_2_] Go to last post
0 238
A performance/progress question on Defrag by Questor[_2_]
I located an old hard drive stored on a shelf the other day and connected it to my Vista machine with a USB dongle. I decided to defrag it (350Gb). Now, I already know that Vista's defrag provides NO indication of progress other than that pretty lame statement that "this may take a few minutes to a few hours". I've seen mention of other defraggers here in this NG and am wondering if any...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 1st 10 10:28 PM
by Questor[_2_] Go to last post
12 413
Defrag doesn't work by Alex[_12_]
After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5 minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is recommended that you defragment now." When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and repeats the same message. This repeats each time. Any...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 1st 10 09:54 PM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
30 770
Bottom bar freezes a few minutes after startup..... by Schneider
After booting up the computer and logging on, everything works for ~5 minutes before the bottom bar freezes up. Turning on the task manager does nothing to help as that too freezes up right away. Minimizing a tab means losing it for good and the recovery disks do not seem to be working at all. I have tried to use a system restore, but that did nothing to fix the problem. I have used two different...
January 1st 10 07:19 PM
by No Name Go to last post

From The