Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
A performance/progress question on Defrag by Questor[_2_]
I located an old hard drive stored on a shelf the other day and connected it to my Vista machine with a USB dongle. I decided to defrag it (350Gb). Now, I already know that Vista's defrag provides NO indication of progress other than that pretty lame statement that "this may take a few minutes to a few hours". I've seen mention of other defraggers here in this NG and am wondering if any...
January 1st 10 07:11 PM
by Questor[_2_] Go to last post
0 163
Low Memory?? All gone at once?? by nmulder33
I'm a complete dummy when it comes to computers so I hope someone can help me with this. I bought my Acer laptop with Vista on it about two years back. The C drive is the drive that hold all my programs, the D drive is for extra backup. Yesterday my laptop was showing me an error saying I'm low on memory. I thought that to be odd as I haven't really installed anything. So I uninstalled programs...
January 1st 10 05:55 PM
by CrucialHoax Go to last post
4 184
Low Memory?? All gone at once?? by CrucialHoax
More than likely whats happening is that C: drive doesn't have enough room to do the auto back-up anymore. Either that, or your putting info on the D: partition like stated above. On your desktop, hold the windows key and press R the run box will open type cleanmgr hit enter there will be an option or a tab to clean up old back-ups for system recovery and keep only the most recent. Use...
January 1st 10 05:55 PM
by CrucialHoax Go to last post
0 230
Black screen and CHKDSK when I restart by trepanation
I'm sorry if some of this information is vague, not too great with computers...anyways... I have Gateway laptop with Vista (not sure if it's 64-bit or 32-bit) and I've been using it for about 10 months and yesterday, I noticed that when I got online, it was really laggy and saw that 99% of the memory was being used, so I decided to restart it. (I didn't even have three programs up.) Right before...
January 1st 10 02:01 AM
by trepanation Go to last post
0 177
Service Pack 1 Update problem... by Atreyu[_4_]
I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. I possibly want to upgrade to Windows 7 equivalent. Here's my dilemma: I installed Service Pack 1 via Windows website download manager, and after a fashion, it appeared to have installed and it rebooted my system. It clearly shows as having been installed according to Windows Update History. HOWEVER, according to Microsoft, when I click START right...
December 31st 09 11:12 AM
by Atreyu[_4_] Go to last post
8 324
Vista Home Premium Freezes by No Name
Inspiron 1420 Laptop Windows Vista Home Premium Internet Explorer 8 Anti-Virus Webroot PC Utility Inc. Error Fix Startup/Shutdown- 5 to 7 minutes When booted, three different blank (green screens) pop up. The third, and last green screen closes after about 3 minutes Once bootup is complete, icons may not work
December 31st 09 01:03 AM
by No Name Go to last post
4 258
Vista Home Premium Freezes by No Name
Inspiron 1420 Laptop Windows Vista Home Premium Internet Explorer 8 Anti-Virus Webroot PC Utility Inc. Error Fix Startup/Shutdown- 5 to 7 minutes When booted, three different blank (green screens) pop up. The third, and last green screen closes after about 3 minutes Once bootup is complete, icons may not work
December 30th 09 09:29 PM
by No Name Go to last post
0 186
Bottom bar freezes a few minutes after startup..... by Schneider
After booting up the computer and logging on, everything works for ~5 minutes before the bottom bar freezes up. Turning on the task manager does nothing to help as that too freezes up right away. Minimizing a tab means losing it for good and the recovery disks do not seem to be working at all. I have tried to use a system restore, but that did nothing to fix the problem. I have used two different...
December 30th 09 07:04 PM
by Schneider Go to last post
0 183
Windows Explorer not responding by USAOz
My Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) keeps freezing with a title bar error message 'Not Responding'. I t may or may not resolve itself after about 10 minutes - more often not! I am usually given the option to restart it but then the desktop is refreshed and I lose about half my app tray icons! I had read the (similar) threads here but they date back to 2007 and none offer a...
December 30th 09 06:46 PM
by USAOz Go to last post
0 162
Logon Process Initialization Failure by Ed
Anyone ever received this? I'm running Windows Vista Business, the full version, on a Compaq Presario V3000. My computer froze this morning, and when I tried to CTRL-ALT-DEL and stop the frozen programs, I started getting this error: "Interactive logon process initialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details." I tried to restart, but the only way I could was to hold...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 30th 09 05:32 PM
by raziajju Go to last post
12 360
System Restore Will Not Restore by Mike[_32_]
I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder if anyone here has an answer. http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/889274-system-restore-will-not-restore.html
December 29th 09 08:04 PM
by Mike[_32_] Go to last post
0 177
Service Pack 1 Update problem... by Atreyu[_4_]
I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. I possibly want to upgrade to Windows 7 equivalent. Here's my dilemma: I installed Service Pack 1 via Windows website download manager, and after a fashion, it appeared to have installed and it rebooted my system. It clearly shows as having been installed according to Windows Update History. HOWEVER, according to Microsoft, when I click START right...
December 29th 09 05:01 PM
by Atreyu[_4_] Go to last post
0 195
lastalive0.dat lastalive1.dat by warder
Hi, I have something writing to the hard drive once every minute or so. I'm assuming this is preventing my laptop hard disk from sleeping when off power. It writes to 2 files, flipping between them: lastalive0.dat lastalive1.dat The process is svchost.exe. The files are in:
December 29th 09 10:23 AM
by voitek Go to last post
3 290
Lexmark icon Missing in Notification Area by Paul Calcagno
I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 with 2 GB of RAM, all WU's, Firefox, MBAM, SuperAntiSpywareProfessional, CCleaner, Spybot, CA Security Suite, and WLM. The machine's running just great but after the last restart (to complete the uninstall of Ad-Aware) my little Lexmark All-In-One printer icon is missing from the notification area. It's usually placed right next to my network icon. I've tried...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 29th 09 02:34 AM
by Questor[_2_] Go to last post
12 363
Something may be wrong with my Ram,motherboard,hard drive or whatnot? Help me =[ by Aizen
Alright when i start up my laptop it goes into the HP invent screen and shows the F keys at the bottom. Than after a little bit it goes onto the screen that has the blinking underscore (the blinking _ sign" than it just stays there... It makes these loud beeping noises than stops after a little bit. I don't know what to do and I REALLY don't want to take it to a professional for reasons i don't...
December 28th 09 08:16 PM
by Mrich Go to last post
4 215
Lexmark icon Missing in Notification Area by Paul Calcagno
I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 with 2 GB of RAM, all WU's, Firefox, MBAM, SuperAntiSpywareProfessional, CCleaner, Spybot, CA Security Suite, and WLM. The machine's running just great but after the last restart (to complete the uninstall of Ad-Aware) my little Lexmark All-In-One printer icon is missing from the notification area. It's usually placed right next to my network icon. I've tried...
December 28th 09 05:06 PM
by Paul Calcagno Go to last post
0 154
Inefficient use of memory? by Robert Miles
I'm getting what looks like inefficient use of the memory on two of my computers. On one, with 8 GB, Windows Task Manager - Performance currently reports: Physical Memory Usage History constant at 4.90 GB Physical Memory (MB)
December 28th 09 12:12 AM
by Robert Miles Go to last post
0 172
XPTask.dll error by CJ
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium operating system with my HP laptop. Suddenly from last few weeks the system has started throwing following error messange in a separate window continuously. "XPTask.dll has stopped working" Can you please suggest me the solution? Thanks, CJ
December 27th 09 10:44 PM
by No Name Go to last post
7 229
CPU Performance Problems by Marcelli
This relates to my experience with Vista Home Premium so I cannot comment on other versions. My experience has been that this ##### utility for reporting problems once it finds a fault continues to seek out solutions to it when there are none. It clicks in the werfault.exe application which can one one instance take 50% of CPU and on occasions runs twice and takes all the CPU time. Fingers...
December 27th 09 10:28 AM
by Marcelli Go to last post
0 153
CPU Performance Problems by Marcelli
This relates to my experience with Vista Home Premium so I cannot comment on other versions. My experience has been that this ##### utility for reporting problems once it finds a fault continues to seek out solutions to it when there are none. It clicks in the werfault.exe application which can one one instance take 50% of CPU and on occasions runs twice and takes all the CPU time. Fingers...
December 27th 09 10:28 AM
by Marcelli Go to last post

From The