Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
computer freeze by justenuff
So, my computer w/ Vista (came loaded) has froze up 13 times in the past three days that I have had it. I'm not using it for games, just several, regular applications. When it freezes, I can't ctrl+alt+del to get the taskbar. The mouse also freezes, so I can't get to the taskbar to activate task manager either. I think I ran across something that concerns a Windows auto repair problems...
November 25th 10 05:44 AM
by jim jc Go to last post
9 1,095
Failed to Install MS.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Windows Server by MARIAN PUDEK
How About some info or help on this issue. Will not install MS. NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on my Vista Home Premium 32 bits I've tried several time but not to avail. Any Suggestion? I wonder how important this program/file is? Thanks, Marian
October 11th 10 11:07 PM
by MARIAN PUDEK Go to last post
0 778
Scheduled tasks delayed in W2008 SP2 by Verky
Hi, I have some scheduled tasks in my W2008 server SP2. Last day, two of them started half hour late. I don't find any log that tells me why windows didn't start these tasks at the right time. I've found this bug in Windows 2008 SP2 Task Scheduler (http:// support.microsoft.com/kb/982341/en-us?fr=1) but I don't have any delayed task checked.
October 8th 10 04:21 PM
by Verky Go to last post
0 624
regedit by dido22
hello, I am in serious danger of having to make a minor change to the registry, and am a bit nervous. I know that there is 'regedit' and I know how to start it. I will read some on-line articles 1st. Are there any 3rd-party progs which might be safer / easier to use ? Thanks
September 27th 10 12:26 PM
by dido22 Go to last post
2 524
Vista Defragmenter and ReadyBoost drive by Derek
Hi, I noticed something funny on my laptop last night. I have a 2GB SD card which I use for Vista Readboost. My laptop is scheduled to perform the Vista Defragmenter at 22:00 each Sunday. At exactly that time, the light for the SD card started flashing a whole bunch. To me, this appears like the defragmenter had kicked-in and was trying to
September 18th 10 01:30 PM
by john kimmich Go to last post
6 472
Disabling write caching for eSATA drives? by Russell
I'm using eSATA drives store images (I'm a photographer) and swap drives according to client. I'm running Vista64 with lots of RAM. Problem is that the file transfer progress bar will show that data transfer is complete when in reality it's still being transferred from the cache to the target drive. If I remove the drive I risk interrupting the transfer and get corrupted files. I currently...
August 17th 10 04:33 PM
by Russell Go to last post
1 394
USB error message by Ret.[_2_]
I keep getting a window popping up on my Vista laptop telling me that "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it." If I click on the window for more information I get another window stating that "The location of the device is shown in bold type". There is then a tree headed 'USB Root Hub (6 ports) and the 'problem' port is number...
August 17th 10 01:12 PM
by M Peters Go to last post
1 349
PC Goes Of For No Obvious Reason And Then.. by El.Plates
I have Vista Home Premium which inadvertently switches itself off and I have to go through about 7 or 8 manual boots under 'choose repair option' which repairs a little, switches off, I reboot, it repairs a little further, switches off and so on until I get to 'will start up at a point. Any ideas as to why this maybe ? The PC has Norton 360 on it... TIA
August 17th 10 12:00 AM
by Gregg Fowler[_3_] Go to last post
5 391
Files Infected: C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\onvzku.sys (Rootkit.Agent) by Lee[_10_]
While running Malware I found the following in my computer! Not sure what it is but is called Rootkit.Agent and it had a green asterisk in front of the listing. I have run Malware several times and it says it is quarantined and deleted successfully. Also ran PC tools Spyware doctor with negative results meaning it does not show up. Yet when Irerun Malware the Rootkit.agent continues to...
August 13th 10 03:10 PM
by Lee[_10_] Go to last post
0 341
Cannot find Saved document by Ritter197[_2_]
I have a friend who is legally blind and I try to help him often with windows XP. He received yesterday in Windows Live Mail with windows xp a document from his previous company with an attachment "All_articles_finalreview.doc". He made many changes to it which took him over 4 hours. Then when he was finished he was asked to Save it and he said yes. I was at his house to-day trying to find this...
August 12th 10 12:02 PM
by Robert Aldwinckle Go to last post
9 472
Server's SSL certificate was rejected for the following reason: by [email protected]
Certificate Error: Cert Chain not trusted. Do you want to trust this certificate in future sessions? Then, there's a page or so of data which is indecipherable to me. I've seen this a few times and it always comes up under all my other open windows. Does anyone know what it is and what I should do about it?
August 1st 10 06:14 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 317
Taskbar doesn't always hide by [email protected]
Frequently, my Taskbar ceases to hide. I think it might have something to do with open apps needing attention but I can't prove this and I'm not even sure it's true. I am using Windows 7 now - BUT I have had this same problem with Vista, XP Pro and OS's before that. It's only now that I'm searching for a fix (guess I was very lazy - sorry!!!). Can anyone help me? The only thing I've been...
July 31st 10 03:00 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 323
OS on a logical drive by itself? by [email protected]
I've often heard that the OS should be on a drive (logical drive) by itself so that, when it gets a problem, you can just re-install a new copy of the OS on that drive. However, isn't the OS modified when you install programs? Where would you install them? Can someone explain the procedure for this and how it works? It has always confused me and, if if works as I understand, I'd like to try...
July 26th 10 05:59 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
8 424
Lost Performance Score by brbrown
When I first had my Vista Home Premium laptop, I was able to access Performance Information Tools via the Control Panel and the page would show the "Rate and improve your computers performance" at the top with the performance details and score below together with the "Update my score" button at the bottom. Suddenly, all the performance details and score, together with the "Update my score"...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 2nd 10 09:53 AM
by brbrown Go to last post
20 1,757
Strange error in Disk Management by Questor[_2_]
I have an IDE to USB dongle that works fine with all my spare disks save one. When I try to get it to install I get the "USB device installed correctly" tone but nothing shows up in the Computer panel. I then go to Computer Management and check on the disk. It is showing with a tiny red mark of some kind (very hard for my eyes to see) and the word "unknown" under Disk1. In addition, 'not...
May 31st 10 01:09 AM
by Questor[_2_] Go to last post
8 744
Control Panel, Personalize and System Properties does not open... by xphilip
Can somebody help me? I have Windows Vista Ultimate and my Control Panel, Personalize and System Properties does not open, it cant' print too!! I tried a lot of things but none of them could make anything stable. Please, if someone know about this problem, answer.... Thanks in advance.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 30th 10 07:40 AM
by titaniumgray Go to last post
20 2,482
Update Problem: Error 8024402F by [email protected]
Has anyone found an answer to this problem yet?
May 29th 10 02:17 PM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
2 741
Update Problem: Error 8024402F by [email protected]
Has anyone found an answer to this problem yet?
May 28th 10 05:24 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 317
Strange error in Disk Management by Questor[_2_]
I have an IDE to USB dongle that works fine with all my spare disks save one. When I try to get it to install I get the "USB device installed correctly" tone but nothing shows up in the Computer panel. I then go to Computer Management and check on the disk. It is showing with a tiny red mark of some kind (very hard for my eyes to see) and the word "unknown" under Disk1. In addition, 'not...
May 28th 10 04:56 PM
by Questor[_2_] Go to last post
0 321
Reliability and Performance Monitor error message by Sally Leonard
I have a hp laptop using Vista. I am finding that I can no longer access my Reliability and Performance Monitor to generate a report on my computers state of health. When I try to access it, an error message comes up stating - Error: An error occured while attempting to generate the report. The interface is unknown. I have searched the internet for a solution, but not been able to find...
May 28th 10 10:41 AM
by Sally Leonard Go to last post

From The