Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
System Crashing daily - Vista by Chipper
I have a real mess on my hands. Ever since I allowed my new computer (6 mos. old, and running Vista) to download and install the updates available Feb. 12, it has been a horror show. My computer is crashing at least once a day. I've tried going back to various previous restore points, but then, after the "restore process", up pops the message "System retore did not complete successfully....
March 13th 08 10:04 PM
by Chipper Go to last post
8 189
High Disk Usage/CPU when computer goes idle. by Steve
Hi, I've tried searching for this problem I've had, but nothing other than the "System Idle Process" comes up. My problem is that whenever my laptop goes idle (almost the second when the screen saver goes on after 15 minutes), I get high CPU and disk usage. This has happened ever since I first bought this computer, so I'm pretty sure it's not a program I've installed. But, I've tried to turn...
March 13th 08 08:46 PM
by Steve Go to last post
3 174
Windoes Security by David0944
When my PC was delivered, and evaluation copy of McAfee Command Centre was pre installed. As I prefer to use my own antivrus product as well as Windows own firewall, I uninstalled McAfee. Although it didn't fully install, I removed the files left behind with the removal tool provided by McAfee. I installed my own antivirus product, aVast, and activated Windows firewall. If I look in Security...
March 13th 08 08:35 PM
by Bob F.[_4_] Go to last post
8 256
Registry restore by Larry Adler
Fairly straightforward question: Say I back up my entire registry by exporting to a .reg file, saving it to the desktop. When I import that file into the registry, does it overwrite all the existing registry files?
March 13th 08 05:25 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 207
Problem with wallpaper by LegalNurse
Up till a few minutes ago I had a beautiful clear photo of twin babies as my background, but I decided to update it to a newer shot (after adding Quickbooks earlier today--I don't know whether this is related, or whether the problem is Vista). Anyway, now every picture I try to place as wallpaper, including the standard scenic photos, are blurred. I tried cleaning disc space and also...
March 13th 08 04:53 PM
by LegalNurse Go to last post
0 200
Backup of emails by georgeB
When using the Backup Wizard with Vista, are the emails, address book etc. saved if instead of Outlook the Mozila Thunderbird is the default email software? And if not, are there any options for doing that in the Backup Wizard?
March 13th 08 04:24 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
1 214
registry question by oufan199
When I import an entire backed-up registry (.reg) file into the registry, does it overwrite all the existing registry files?
March 13th 08 01:06 PM
by oufan199 Go to last post
0 192
Low Disk Space FOLLOWUP by ibmlucia
I have Vista Home Premium on my one yr old HP laptop. I keep getting a popup indicating low disk space on my "D" recovery drive and have to delete files from my trash. Since the "D" drive is FULL, I have NEVER been able to do a full backup. I have not saved anything to the D drive. A friend suggested one of my 'spy security' programs had saved data there. I had 'SpyBot' but uninstalled...
March 13th 08 11:37 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
9 353
Explorer.exe crashes by Josh Y.
I'm having BIG issues. I accidentally downloade Virtumonde last night and have ran McAfee virus scan enterprise and Spybot and both have gotten rid of the trojan and spyware...at least that's what they tell me. Now spybot tells me that there are registry changes happening from time to time and anytime I try to start the control panel or My Computer, explorer.exe crashes and reboots. I am...
March 13th 08 11:31 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
5 298
problems opening programs with vista by thatzebdude
hey evry1 im having heaps of trouble opening a lot of programs with vista, such as itunes, quicktime and the program that runs my camera on my laptop. it comes up with "this program has stopped working" and then goes on to say that a problem has caused this error to occur. does any1 have any ideas of wat could b causing this and how i can fix it thanks heaps
March 13th 08 10:06 AM
by thatzebdude Go to last post
0 211
Display too Small by skawks
After an automatic windows update, my computer restarted and everything on the monitor has shrunk down in size including the toolbar, sidebar, mouse, internet explorer and everthing else. I have a Dell 22" widescreen LCD with resolution set at 1680 by 1050 which I believe is the correct resolution. Any recommendations to return everything back to its normal size? Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 13th 08 05:09 AM
by Cal Bear '66[_2_] Go to last post
20 567
Maintance Problem by wmauctions
Hi All new here I have a few questions I have a Dell Dimension 4600i p4 2.8 32bit system it was given to me with a broken motherboard, I played with it and got it running long enough to install Vista Business 6.06.6000 everything works good except the sound(No sound). Now the hard part I have gotten my hands on a used motherboard same size but is a p4 1.7 How do I use the better processor and...
March 13th 08 01:46 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 222
Taskbar and desktop icons have disapeared by John
A friend of mine switched on his computer and all his desktop icons and his taskbar has dissapeared, any answers on hot to fix this problems? -- JohnD76
March 13th 08 12:06 AM
by fmq Go to last post
9 539
Problems with cold boot by zeus22
I run Vista home premium 32. Two sata HDs. I operated great for about six months. Lately, when I boot the computer shuts off after asking for password. I then have to completely shut off the power and then is asks if I want safe mode, etc.. I tell it to run windows normally and it powers on without a problem. Why does it shut off pwer cmpletely on "cold boot" after running bios and...
March 13th 08 12:04 AM
by zeus22 Go to last post
0 223
Important updates by Denis
Good evening all, I am being asked to download the same important updates all the time. They get downloaded, I reboot and then the same Updates are available for download. I think I have downloaded the same downloaded half a dozen time, hoping this would fix itself...and it does not. Any ideas
March 12th 08 11:27 PM
by Denis Go to last post
5 228
USB Thumb drive, Protection by Steve[_32_]
How do I remove write protection from a USB thumb drive? Files on the drive, which I don't need, are not archived.
March 12th 08 10:14 PM
by Mark L. Ferguson Go to last post
3 242
Power Icon not updating by blueflame
A few days ago, I noticed on my laptop running vista home premium that my battery icon stays at 100%, even when I have been running on the battery for an hour or so. I have no idea why its doing this. It has also occasionally told me that my battery is at 2%, even though it has been plugged in. yesterday My computer randomly shut itself off. It acted as though I just took the battery out...
March 12th 08 08:59 PM
by blueflame Go to last post
1 201
System Backup Fails by sandman3x[_2_]
I'm currently running Vista Home Premium with an Ultimate upgrade on it's way. I too am having the same problem with my system backups (backup failed) but there is one major difference between what others have posted and my problem: I do not use McAfee, I use the new Vista compatible Zone Suites. My error message is slightly different but I have the same results, not being able to run a...
March 12th 08 07:45 PM
by sandman3x[_2_] Go to last post
0 230
external hard drive issues by eddiebigd
I have a WD Passport external hard drive about 100gigs. I use it for most of my document storage because I'm on the road a lot so it's easier for me to take the hard drive on the road than it is to swap files between two machines. Ok, so the problem is, for some reason, I'll be working on my external drive, have a bunch of documents open and whatnot, and all of the sudden, it just stops...
March 12th 08 07:25 PM
by Dave Go to last post
8 254
Vista error by AnarHesenzade
Windows explorer does not respond when I want to download and Save smth from web. I can only run or open the downloads. I also cannot browse for anything. How to solve this?
March 12th 08 12:43 PM
by AnarHesenzade Go to last post

From The