Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
System Health Report Timeout Error by Luc M
Whenever I try and run a system health report, after about a minute I get the following error: "An error occurred while attempting to generate the report. The wait for the report generation tool to finish has timed out." Any ideas?
December 14th 09 05:55 PM
by thebatty1 Go to last post
8 280
Any programs or sites that re-install system files? by 93Rado
I ran a sfcscan and... It seems I have some corrupt files. This laptop doesn't have a recovery/reformat drive or i'd just reformat the laptop. Moreover, I don't have a recovery disc for vista, just Win-7. Perhaps anyone can pinpoint me in the right direction? I have the CBS file... However it's close to 24MBs... :confused: --
December 14th 09 02:47 AM
by 93Rado Go to last post
0 166
Hidden by [email protected]
Can you tell me how to change Windows Explorer so it's not hidden? I need to back up a hidden file. AW
December 13th 09 04:22 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
2 287
Hidden by [email protected]
Can you tell me how to change Windows Explorer so it's not hidden? I need to back up a hidden file. AW
December 13th 09 01:13 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 167
Vista Resets Cursors Upon Reboot by [email protected]
I'm running Vista Home Premium Version 6 (Build 6000) and I'm logged into the Administrator account. Vista does not save my cursor changes after I reboot. I change the cursors and they stay changed until I reboot, then they go back to the default Windows Aero scheme. Also, when I'm in the Pointers tab of the Mouse Properties screen, the Apply button is disabled/unavailable (I cannot click it)....
December 13th 09 12:11 PM
by evilfeevil Go to last post
4 330
Vista eternal shutdown by j lunis
This is a question I am confident has been asked and answered but I have been unable to find the answer - maybe because I don't know the right search terms. Vista Home Premium Sometimes when I try to shut down the PC - START-SHUTDOWN and either shutdown or restart - the shutdown can take, literally, 60-75 minutes and sometimes longer. Since I usually don't have that long to wait, removing...
December 11th 09 02:40 PM
by j lunis Go to last post
0 181
Can't uninstall a download by Kay
I mistakenly downloaded MS Winter Fun Pack 2004 for XP on my Vista computer, I didn't see that it said for XP when I downloaded and installed it. Using the uninstall in Control panel, I tried to uninstall. I got back an error (1713) message that say's 'can't install'. Please help me get this program uninstalled. Thank you.
December 11th 09 03:14 AM
by Kay Go to last post
0 182
Registry by SPDy
I have a vista machine (quad-core 500gb hdd) that's a couple years old. The registry is now 30.2 GB! So from time to time it goes out to lunch when it is doing shadow copy or restore point creation. I just can't begin to imagine what could be stored in the registry that is 30 Gig. The registry is supposed to be for settings AFASIK but I've seen blob chunks in there that are quite large and I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 10th 09 04:54 PM
by Tom[_26_] Go to last post
10 412
CPU running at 100% and memory at maximum, getting mad! by malfrus
Dear all, I've enjoyed my dell XPS M1330 laptop for over two years now. Never had any significant trouble with it...until now. It has Vista home premium 32 bit and 4GB of ram. Last week on friday I left my laptop on the whole night (it's something I did before and found no hassles the next morning) with plenty of air circulation where it was located. The next morning the laptop...
December 10th 09 11:25 AM
by malfrus Go to last post
0 193
Registry by SPDy
I have a vista machine (quad-core 500gb hdd) that's a couple years old. The registry is now 30.2 GB! So from time to time it goes out to lunch when it is doing shadow copy or restore point creation. I just can't begin to imagine what could be stored in the registry that is 30 Gig. The registry is supposed to be for settings AFASIK but I've seen blob chunks in there that are quite large and I...
December 9th 09 05:21 PM
by SPDy Go to last post
0 172
MS Update kills MS IE7 by Bob
I have my month old computer with windows vista home premium. On 12th of February 2008 I run Microsoft update to update my computer like I have done for years with no problems. I install all 38mb of the 11 new recommended Microsoft updates. IE7 will not connect to Internet. I get "Internet Explorer cannot display web page". I used IE7 right before I did update and it worked fine. I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 9th 09 12:37 PM
by mamaly Go to last post
17 669
Restarting Every Morning by webdigr[_2_]
Since last few days, my system has starting to restart every morning sharp at 8:00 AM. I'm show this message (Attached below) and given 5 minutes to close all apps before restarting. But it's really annoying when that happens everyday! :unsu I've no idea, what program finishes running everyday, irrespective of whether I'm connected to the net or not. I've checked all the possible places,...
December 9th 09 11:06 AM
by webdigr[_2_] Go to last post
0 254
Restarting Every Morning by webdigr[_2_]
Since last few days, my system has starting to restart every morning sharp at 8:00 AM. I'm show this message (Attached below) and given 5 minutes to close all apps before restarting. But it's really annoying when that happens everyday! :unsu I've no idea, what program finishes running everyday, irrespective of whether I'm connected to the net or not. I've checked all the possible places,...
December 9th 09 11:06 AM
by webdigr[_2_] Go to last post
0 190
Performance problem in Vista Windows explorer if /SWAPRUN:NET is seton an executable. by patrick.vancauteren
I have rather big executables (about 25-35 MB). Because I want my users to easily execute my application, I don't want them to install a bunch of DLL's, just xcopy-install is OK for me (and my customers). Because my software is often run from a network drive, and my customers' networks are not always reliable, I link my executables using the /SWAPRUN:NET option. This guarantees that the whole EXE...
December 9th 09 10:09 AM
by patrick.vancauteren Go to last post
0 166
Performance problem in Vista Windows explorer if /SWAPRUN:NET is seton an executable. by patrick.vancauteren
I have rather big executables (about 25-35 MB). Because I want my users to easily execute my application, I don't want them to install a bunch of DLL's, just xcopy-install is OK for me (and my customers). Because my software is often run from a network drive, and my customers' networks are not always reliable, I link my executables using the /SWAPRUN:NET option. This guarantees that the whole EXE...
December 9th 09 10:09 AM
by patrick.vancauteren Go to last post
0 209
Windows 7 Desktop Windows Manager memory leak? by David J Taylor
I couldn't find Windows-7 groups, so I'm posting here. Please redirect if required. On PCs where the user remains logged in, but is not using the mouse or keyboard, the memory used by the DWM continues to increase until some mouse or keyboard activity takes place. On my PC Hydra, for example, DWM.exe uses up to 600MB, and appears to cause other applications to give up their own working...
December 9th 09 05:42 AM
by David J Taylor Go to last post
0 270
Windows 7 Desktop Windows Manager memory leak? by David J Taylor
I couldn't find Windows-7 groups, so I'm posting here. Please redirect if required. On PCs where the user remains logged in, but is not using the mouse or keyboard, the memory used by the DWM continues to increase until some mouse or keyboard activity takes place. On my PC Hydra, for example, DWM.exe uses up to 600MB, and appears to cause other applications to give up their own working...
December 9th 09 05:42 AM
by David J Taylor Go to last post
0 212
windows media player (Vista) won't open by bfree
Hey, I cant open the Windows Media Palyer on my computer...anyone knows why or might help me? thanx
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 9th 09 04:55 AM
by jroos1 Go to last post
11 348
Explorer Vertical Scroll Problems by LsR
I have Windows Vista Home Premium installed on an HP Pavillian Laptop. I am having a problem with the vertical scroll bar in Windows Explorer. When I try to use the vertical scroll bar to scroll down in an Explorer window, the scroll bar jumps back to the top of the window. The same thing happens when I try to set a Screen Saver, the pull down window jumps back to the default (none)...
December 9th 09 01:09 AM
by LsR Go to last post
0 205
Vista Excessive Disk Activity by rbd
For the past few weeks I have been attempting to create a Vista Home Premium configuration on a new Core 2 Duo PC. I though that I had finally created a stable config with all the proper hardware drivers and many of my apps. I then noticed that the disk activity light was on solid - and I couldn't figure out why. I ran a number of process tools, the only one that seemed to provide useful...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 9th 09 12:55 AM
by hershey444 Go to last post
26 1,784