Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Reliability and Performance Monitor error message by Sally Leonard
I have a hp laptop using Vista. I am finding that I can no longer access my Reliability and Performance Monitor to generate a report on my computers state of health. When I try to access it, an error message comes up stating - Error: An error occured while attempting to generate the report. The interface is unknown. I have searched the internet for a solution, but not been able to find...
May 28th 10 10:41 AM
by Sally Leonard Go to last post
0 581
Can't open files by John[_72_]
A friend left a garbled message on my telephone answering machine asking me for help but I don't use Vista or iTunes, so I'm hoping some kind soul on here can help. Basically any file he downloads (it may be a photo of his grandson sent as an email attachment in jpg format, or a program such as skype.exe, or a pdf document) cannot be opened. When double-clicked, any downloaded file opens up...
May 27th 10 03:28 PM
by John[_72_] Go to last post
4 666
Can't open files by John[_72_]
A friend left a garbled message on my telephone answering machine asking me for help but I don't use Vista or iTunes, so I'm hoping some kind soul on here can help. Basically any file he downloads (it may be a photo of his grandson sent as an email attachment in jpg format, or a program such as skype.exe, or a pdf document) cannot be opened. When double-clicked, any downloaded file opens up...
May 27th 10 11:04 AM
by John[_72_] Go to last post
0 318
Disk Defragment? by duaneProf
When I set the Defragmenter to defag at a specified date and time it never does because where is lists the "next scheduled run" is has listed "never" and I don't know how to get rid of the "never" See screen shot below. Appreciate your help. http://www.idf50.co.uk/webhost/members/duane/images/defag.jpg] duane --
May 27th 10 09:34 AM
by jayan kara Go to last post
6 767
Font size has changed by rslchamp01
The font size in certain programs has changed to a real small font. Still readable but just barely. As an example, using AIM instant messenger, I can type an answer and adjust the font size there but when I hit enter to send it the text size converts to a real small size. It also is doing it in other programs as well. Any answers? Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista...
May 24th 10 02:27 PM
by Parrott Go to last post
2 673
Windows Vista unable to rate my system by Waseem Banani
hi, when i clicked on 'Rate this Computer' this msg is shown (Cannot complete assesment. The assessment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, driver, or other component.) i dont know why???? note: Drivers for all devices are installed perfectly. waseem
May 23rd 10 05:04 PM
by Chuck[_2_] Go to last post
5 666
Sony VIAO Laptop Screen Cloudy by ttaiwo
Hello, The screen of my Sony Viao laptop usually gets cloudy (suddenly) for about 5-10 seconds and then comes back on. This has been happening more and more frequently. Can anyone diagnose the problem or has anyone seen this happen and knows the problem? Thanks
May 23rd 10 10:59 AM
by ttaiwo Go to last post
0 309
Disk Defragment? by duaneProf
When I set the Defragmenter to defag at a specified date and time it never does because where is lists the "next scheduled run" is has listed "never" and I don't know how to get rid of the "never" See screen shot below. Appreciate your help. http://www.idf50.co.uk/webhost/members/duane/images/defag.jpg] duane --
May 23rd 10 12:02 AM
by duaneProf Go to last post
0 305
Font size has changed by rslchamp01
The font size in certain programs has changed to a real small font. Still readable but just barely. As an example, using AIM instant messenger, I can type an answer and adjust the font size there but when I hit enter to send it the text size converts to a real small size. It also is doing it in other programs as well. Any answers? Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista...
May 22nd 10 12:32 PM
by rslchamp01 Go to last post
0 284
best backup software for Vista Home Ultimate that will allow me toselect files and folders to backup and restore by Lisa Hetherington
I basically have 10 GB of music, 5 GB of pictures and 1 GB of documents plus a couple of folders on my Desktop (containing downloads) that I would like to be able to backup. I have a restore CD to restore to factory settings...it's my data I'm worried about. Vista doesn't let me select the files and folders I want. I don't want to spend a lot of $$ but I do want easy backup and...
May 21st 10 12:36 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
8 468
explorer.exe does not run on startup by manos
Hello and thanks for your time. Every time I boot my computer, the process freezes when it's time to run explorer.exe. For some unknown reason, it won't load on its own. I can overcome the problem by using the task manager (File - New task - "explorer"), but this has to be done every time I boot. I would appreciate some help to find a permanent solution. Thanks in advance.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 20th 10 09:56 AM
by JPSALEEM Go to last post
22 1,090
Space available: different result between Property and JDiskReport by Allamarein
I have just checked my available space in C: Property shows I am occupying 90.6 GB (and oddly it "steals" some GB while Vista is running and my hard disk seems to fill up by itself. JDiskReport shows I am using only 85.8 GB and it provides a detailed list of my files. Who is it right?
May 18th 10 06:21 PM
by Allamarein Go to last post
0 478
Space available: different result between Property and JDiskReport by Allamarein
I have just checked my available space in C: Property shows I am occupying 90.6 GB (and oddly it "steals" some GB while Vista is running and my hard disk seems to fill up by itself. JDiskReport shows I am using only 85.8 GB and it provides a detailed list of my files. Who is it right?
May 18th 10 06:21 PM
by Allamarein Go to last post
0 245
Lost Performance Score by brbrown
When I first had my Vista Home Premium laptop, I was able to access Performance Information Tools via the Control Panel and the page would show the "Rate and improve your computers performance" at the top with the performance details and score below together with the "Update my score" button at the bottom. Suddenly, all the performance details and score, together with the "Update my score"...
May 17th 10 08:08 AM
by brbrown Go to last post
0 247
Unable to Clear Solution and Problem History by jmorourke80
I have a problem floating around in my Problem Reports and Solutions that I can't delete. Its been in there since I first installed Vista on my system and relates to an error installing some raid drivers. I've since got the drivers installed but whenever I try to delete the problem, or clear the problem history, I'm given an error simply saying "Unable to Delete 1 Item". Anyone know how I can...
May 17th 10 05:56 AM
by dianenicholson Go to last post
1 618
chkdsk issue by [email protected]
Whenever I run chkdsk /r, it finds quite a few errors and corrects them. An example is a lot of orphaned files. Then, if I run it again right away, it does the same thing and finds the sa,e orphaned files. What causes this and how can I correct it? Thank you.
May 14th 10 05:06 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 305
Restore problem! by bushi1
Hi there Im new in your forum and also in Vista World! I got a Hp laptop AMD Turion x2 64 2.00 Ghz, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD! Im having a problem, since my laptop is new, i couldn't install other OS except Vista (or i could manage it with some serious changes on the system, which i didn't accept to do) So, since I'm new in Vista i don't know much about that! Im having a issue with this laptop a...
May 13th 10 12:53 AM
by bushi1 Go to last post
2 602
"Logon Process has failed to create the security options dialog." Error Message by Banjoguy
Another thread on this problem has closed. I am adding this in case it can help someone with the same problem. I have just had 3 days of hell trying to get my HP dv9500 Notebook working again. (Vista Home Premium 32 bit) I tried most of the suggestions listed in the other thread although I could never complete a successful restore to a previous date even though I tried a dozen times or so from...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 13th 10 12:39 AM
by pjg[_2_] Go to last post
15 1,451
Restore problem! by bushi1
Hi there Im new in your forum and also in Vista World! I got a Hp laptop AMD Turion x2 64 2.00 Ghz, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD! Im having a problem, since my laptop is new, i couldn't install other OS except Vista (or i could manage it with some serious changes on the system, which i didn't accept to do) So, since I'm new in Vista i don't know much about that! Im having a issue with this laptop a...
May 12th 10 01:49 AM
by bushi1 Go to last post
0 303
Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files? by NewsReader2K
System Specs: Vista Ultimate P4 3.2 Ghz 2 gig DDR dual-channel memory I did a Google search and got bombarded with conflicting info, and was I wondering if there were an official work-around for this issue?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 11th 10 07:16 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
17 1,098