Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
remove program (PCCILLIN) that crashed during uninstall by GME
I just wanted to start the Live One Care Beta but ran into a problem with the version 14 of PCCILLIN. It disconnected the network and locked up the uninstall. I had to turn off the computer to get things back running. So, the PCCILLIN is gone as far as the uninstall program knows but it is still there and preventing me from installing Live One Care. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
October 11th 06 06:39 PM
by Telstar Go to last post
3 407
Defragmenting Vista - Quick review of the available products by Telstar
TESTBED HW: Dual Xeon 2.8 prestonia 2 GB pc2700 drr ram (4x512mb) WD 1200JB ATA testing drive (4 partitions) SW: Vista RC1 5600, clean install All vista drivers except: Nvidia 55.33 beta drivers
October 11th 06 06:37 PM
by Telstar Go to last post
3 329
WinSAT Reference by L.K.
Hello, I can't find the file winsatapi.h into Vista SDK RC1 Inlcude folder. Is it renamed ? or where can I find it ? regards
October 11th 06 06:35 PM
by L.K. Go to last post
0 388
Video FPS is Shot by Ben
I was hoping RC2 would fix a problem with the ATI drivers decreasing frames per second performance. But it didn't. In fact, I'd say it's worse. Playing World of Warcraft is next to impossible. Changing the in game video settings does absolutely nothing. Either ATI has got to get a new beta driver issued or I'm going to have to go back to XP.
October 11th 06 04:07 PM
by Charles Go to last post
2 412
"Windows could not search for new updates" by Peter
Getting the above with error code 8024400A - an error I haven't seen since XP SP1 days. Everything else connects just fine...anyone know what's wrong? -- Peter Toronto, Canada XP Pro SP2 x 2 + Vista RC1 5728 P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 700gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR TS H429A + H552U CD/DVD Combi-Drives
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 10th 06 07:23 PM
by Peter Go to last post
12 605
XP vs Vista overheads by Alex
Hopefully not too stupid a question but how does Vista compare to XP regarding performance overheads. I know Vista is more complex but I was wondering if it might not also have more efficient code thus negating some of the increased performance requirments?
October 10th 06 05:18 PM
by The Unknown P Go to last post
1 409
I cannot enable Windows Aero. by AeroVista
Why can't I enable Windows Aero? I have Nvidia Geforce 5200 Pentium 4 2.03Ghz 512MB memory 30GB Hard Disk Why can't I? Anyone can help me. Please Help!!!!! Last time i can enable in Vista 5728.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 10th 06 11:27 AM
by Roy Coorne Go to last post
11 700
System Restore Issue by Fuzzy John
Ever since System Restore showed its face in Windows Me I always turned it off as I rely on images. In Vista RC-1 build 5728 I also turned off System Restore on all drives and yet my C: drive (System) free space kept getting lower and lower. Going thru Disk Cleanup | More Options | System Restore Cleanup I was able to recover the missing HD space. Also, when looking at System Properties |...
October 10th 06 01:59 AM
by Fuzzy John Go to last post
2 456
Why a dumbed down version of defrag ? by James
Hello people, any one know the reason why microsoft had dumbed down DEFRAG ??
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 06 07:20 PM
by Georgi Matev Go to last post
14 634
Disk Keeper no longer supported at this time by Jim McCree
Disk Keeper is no longer support with RC1........He is Disk Keepers response to my email to there Tech Support about this..... Diskeeper currently only provides support for the Windows Vista CTP builds 5381 and 5384 with a free public beta, which can be download from our website. The regular purchase versions of Diskeeper cannot be run on Vista,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 06 11:17 AM
by Peter Go to last post
18 645
flawless upgrade from XP to RC2 by Jerry
Did an image of my drive (XP), and downloaded and burned the RC2 iso. After removing the one program that I had problems with under RC1 (it's an HP ProtectTools program), started the upgrade. It went flawlessly. The only complaint, is the time (one hour and 25 minutes). And the Synaptics touchpad driver is 'jumpy' so am using the basic drivers from Vista. This is running on an HP Pavillion...
October 9th 06 04:42 AM
by Just Bob Go to last post
6 463
Disk Check by Cheddarhead
I can't seem to find disk check in Vista RC2. My hard disk has some bad blocks I noticed in event viewer. Want to run a disk scan and check for bad blocks, anyone can point me in the right direction? Cheddarhead
October 9th 06 03:30 AM
by Cheddarhead Go to last post
3 440
Complete PC Restore-Jill (MSFT) by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
Jeff, this might have been addressed already. I was just in the process of burning a Vista DVD. I'll give this a run-through and see if there is any clarifying text for this. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
October 9th 06 03:09 AM
by Jeff Go to last post
8 409
Freezing in RC1 by Paul hayward
Hi all I have been using Vista since BETA 2 and have recently installed RC1 on my main system. The problem i am having is that after a few minutes of using RC1 it just locks up with no mouse movement and the processor fan starts to work overtime! I didn't have any major performance issues with BETA 2 except for the low memory in my system holding the OS back.
October 8th 06 09:26 PM
by Mufaddal Go to last post
3 464
Vista just started to freeze up / hang by CaryGson
Vista was working fine for some-time (except for a few bugs). Then it started to freeze up. I changed nothing I was aware of. Maybe a Windows Update changed something. Symptoms a it boots fine, it's loading stuff after boot, it works fine for about 2 minutes then just freezes. There's a little activity going on (clock changes every 10 minutes or so, mouse will move after same time...
October 8th 06 08:53 PM
by Tony Thijs Go to last post
2 450
Constant CPU Usage by db_cooper1950
I have been displaying the CPU Monitor as a gadget on my Vista sidebar. I am running RC 1 (build 5600), and my question is : Why is there a constant CPU usage of anywhere from 25% to 100%. I understand some backround usage, but this is constant and to the point of causing system slow downs. My system ib running on a AMD Athlon 64 chip, with 3 GB of physical memory.
October 8th 06 07:04 PM
by k_m99 Go to last post
3 877
Weird activity with restore point use. by JewelsH
Well, I've been having problems running both the free version of AVG and the beta they put out to test with Vista. Both versions had trouble loading at startup. The beta version keeps giving a kernel interface fault. On to the weird activity of Vista. I used a restore point of one week ago, which was prior to the beta download. After I did the restore, the downloaded AVG beta file...
October 7th 06 01:55 PM
by JewelsH Go to last post
6 386
Service tweaking by Ross
does anyone know of any service tweaking lists or any tips tp spped up rc1 a little, without sacrificing the visual effects
October 7th 06 05:52 AM
by Ross Go to last post
0 434
RC1 lagging? by dietcoke
Hey, is Windows RC1 laginf for anyone? Please if anyone has fix for this et me know... my specs are 1 gig ram 250 gig hd amd dual core 3800, vista very slow... is there anyfix for this? please let me know thanks
October 7th 06 04:46 AM
by JewelsH Go to last post
1 439
RC1 lagging by dietcoke
hey, Vista RC1 is lagging majoly on my computer it takes foever to start up.. i have a high performce computer for gaming... does anyone know a way to fix ti without goign back to XP? please let me know, thanks
October 6th 06 10:55 PM
by dietcoke Go to last post

From The