Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Backup problems by Caedriver
I tried to make a backup using the new backup center and when i click on setup auto backup (the only thing i can click on) i get an error stating that i cant create a backup on battery power, please attach a cord and try again. The slight and i emphasize slight problem is that im using a freaking desktop. Anybody know of this error and the solution, thanks!
October 6th 06 06:14 PM
by Jill Zoeller [MSFT] Go to last post
4 460
"Windows Search Is Not Running" RC1 (5728) by nrms
Windows Search has suddenly stopped working. In the Event Log I have "Windows Search failed to created the new system catalog. Internal Error 1.0x800070002. I decide to investigate further using the Event Log Online Help tool. When I elect to "Yes, Send the Info to Microsoft"; I get another error: "Windows Script Host Error: There is no file extension in E:\Users\NRM ." (The User Name...
October 6th 06 04:43 PM
by nrms Go to last post
0 481
O&O Defrag versus Microsoft Defrag in Vista by MB@MI, USA
Out of curiosity I wanted to do a side-by-side test of Microsoft Defrag versus O&O Defrag, and was shocked... Microsoft Defrag announced at its completion all drives defragmented. When I loaded O&O Defrag next, it reported that the hard drive was 78% fragmented!! Whats going on with Microsoft Defrag? Why would it tell me defrag done at 78% fragmentation? (with O&O Defrag you can actualy look...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 6th 06 12:24 AM
by Telstar Go to last post
12 675
Diskeeper 10 Vista beta by rblacher
Last night, Diskeeper posted a new beta of Diskeeper 10 Professional for Vista. It is available for free download from their website. Sigh -- life is tough for these companies. They now claim compatibility with Vista RC1 Build 5600 32-bit. I can't vouch for it. My 32-bit machine is running build 5728 and the new Diskeeper aborts the install on that computer with a message that I am not...
October 6th 06 12:23 AM
by Telstar Go to last post
7 1,088
Pathetic Vista download performance by Spirefm
I ran a comparison last night between XP and Vista downloading the same file with the same .exe file and the same settings. XP ran at 50KB/s and Vista at 8KB/s. I repeated the test with the same result. I suspect its because of all the extra security. It makes Vista unuseable for me so I'll have to investigate further. Apart from that, Vista seems fine. Colin
October 5th 06 04:38 PM
by Gene Fitz Go to last post
9 1,122
Constant CPU Usage by db_cooper1950
I have been displaying the CPU Monitor as a gadget on my Vista sidebar. I am running RC 1 (build 5600), and my question is : Why is there a constant CPU usage of anywhere from 25% to 100%. I understand some backround usage, but this is constant and to the point of causing system slow downs. My system ib running on a AMD Athlon 64 chip, with 3 GB of physical memory.
October 5th 06 01:59 AM
by db_cooper1950 Go to last post
6 454
Vista freeze ! by Madmoi23
Hello, I have a problem, everytimes i try to watch video (or open Media Center, or run many applications), my computer freeze up during 10 at 120 seconds and return to normal during 1 second and continue like that. It stop only when video is finish or when i reboot. But my computer meets the basic requirements : Processor : 2,8 GHz VRAM : 256 MB (NVIDIA GeForce 5500 FX)
October 4th 06 11:49 PM
by Madmoi23 Go to last post
2 513
To upgrade from XP or not, that is the question by Paul K
I am considering upgrading from XP Pro to Vista. I have a 3ghz P4 with 1gig of memory. The upgrade advisor says I'm good to go. Question: My reason for the upgrade woud not be the eye-candy, but rather performance issues I am having with XP. I'm willing to put up with a few bugs here and there. Question: 1) Is Vista speedy-enough to consider the upgrade an improvement over XP Pro...
October 4th 06 02:36 PM
by David R. Longnecker Go to last post
3 505
Delay in IE7 when opening new tabs by Catweazle
When I right click a link and select "Open in new tab" there is a very noticable delay before it opens. Is anyone else having this problem?
October 4th 06 05:34 AM
by fancyNutz Go to last post
1 449
Disk Defrag by leetudave
Is there a way to access defrag.exe in Vista RC1? I'm an advanced user and would prefer to use the full graphical defragment utility, not the limited one that pops up when you click on drive properties, then defragment. It appears they have made it simpler, but it also doesn't display nearly as much information. As I understand there are two ways to access defrag.exe, through the command...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 2nd 06 08:59 PM
by Jill Zoeller [MSFT] Go to last post
14 1,364
System Restore. beta Vista 5472 by Stephen Tripp
Hi there, I just noticed the same on my system (x64 Prof/Vista RC1 x64), and unfortunately have no answer yet but I can tell you what does NOT help: Turning 'System Restore' off (from within XP) does NOT prevent the 'Restore Points' from being destroyed. I am, btw, running on a RAID (SII3114) system.
October 2nd 06 08:26 PM
by Jill Zoeller [MSFT] Go to last post
1 434
Display Setting by mc
hello there, I need some help pls, I don't know what's going on with the Display Setting task, it pops up everytimes I log into windows Vista. Any comments would be welcome. thanks very much mates
October 2nd 06 07:43 PM
by mc Go to last post
4 439
Hesitation every 2 or 3 seconds by OscarVogel
After updating from Beta2 to SR1, I noticed that if I move the mouse slowly across the screen, every 2 or 3 seconds the arrow would pause or hesitate for approx 1/4 of a second. Also when I open notepad and hold down the "x" key so that x's start to be written across the page, every 2 or 3 seconds the x's will pause, again for approx 1/4 of a sec and then continue on for another 2 or 3...
October 1st 06 07:56 PM
by Bones Go to last post
1 438
m_strfullpath pop up's by garymm
All of a sudden i am getting m_str pop ups everytime i connect to I.E. These tend to arrive in groups of 4 or 5 ie) m_strparams / m_strexe etc and i need to close them all before i can access my required site. Can anybody advise Cheers Gaz
October 1st 06 01:57 PM
by garymm Go to last post
0 434
Hard Drive Error detection by EdC
Is there any way to disable the hard drive error reporting dialog. I am getting the warning every time the C drive is accessed - I have found no errors with chk disk, diskeeper and the device manager reports the drive is operating properly. Is there any way to disable this process?
October 1st 06 04:35 AM
by Geo. Go to last post
2 456
vista 64-bit by art
You mean Vista 64 bit? Yes. Provided that your hardware and software applications are optimized for 64 bit processing. Otherwise, not much difference. Also, Vista 64 is very picky as far as what softwares and drivers you want to install in it. If there are known issues with a particular software or driver and Vista knows about it, it won't let you install it. Try it anyway. "Ryan" wrote: ...
September 30th 06 08:18 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
5 479
Disable Hard Drive Check by EdC
I am getting a Vista detects a hard drive dialog box - with recommendatio to backup the drive - every time the disk is accessed. I have done dick check and found no error, bad sectors, etc. The device manager reports that the drive is operating normally - is there any way to disable the warnings??? Thanks in advance
September 30th 06 05:07 PM
by EdC Go to last post
0 410
Windows Vista Performance by Rajesh
Hello Knowledgebank, I have bought a new pc and i am trying the Windows VISTA on my machine. My machine is AMD Athelon 3500+ 64bit and 1GB RAM. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to login to windows. Is this an expected behaviour or is something wrong ? Thanks Rajesh.R
September 30th 06 04:08 PM
by JJ Go to last post
5 503
New--PerfectDisk 8 Beta for Vista RC1!!!! by k_fonda
Hi everyone--I just received an email today and downloaded the new PerfectDisk 8 Beta for Vista RC1. Here's the link: http://www.raxco.com/ Just look on the right hand side for the Bets for Vista and follow the link. Just wanted evryone to know.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 30th 06 12:25 AM
by gerald Go to last post
13 678
Vista freeze ! by Madmoi23
Hello, I have a problem, everytimes i try to watch video (or open Media Center, or run many applications), my computer freeze up during 10 at 120 seconds and return to normal during 1 second and continue like that. It stop only when video is finish or when i reboot. But my computer meets the basic requirements : Processor : 2,8 GHz VRAM : 256 MB (NVIDIA GeForce 5500 FX)
September 29th 06 11:22 PM
by Madmoi23 Go to last post

From The