Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Runtime error by jedgson
When I am trying to open IE or windows explorer I receive the following errors: Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE. This application has requested the runtime to terminte it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. _______________________________________________________ and Program: C:\Program Files\Internet...
September 9th 06 02:40 PM
by jedgson Go to last post
0 452
Size of icons and preview of windows by www8
Hello, I've got two questions. First, how can I resize desktop icons ? For me, they're too big. And second, in Beta 2 (build 5384) was feature, which showed a small preview of a window, when you put a mouse arrow on its name on Taskbar. It was really nice and helpful. Now, in RC1 I can't find this option. In Beta 2 it was even default.
September 9th 06 07:45 AM
by www8 Go to last post
0 451
immortal virtual memory by Roof Fiddler
In the virtual memory settings, I unchecked "Automatically manage page file size for all drives", and then selected "No paging file". Even though it didn't ask me to reboot when I applied the changes, I rebooted anyway, and now when I check, under "Total paging file size for all drives" it does say "Currently allocated: 0MB", as expected. Yet under Windows Task Manager\ Performance, under...
September 9th 06 01:42 AM
by Michael Go to last post
4 462
media center by mlgarl
i've no codecs for audio and the decoder does not work for video in media cetner
September 9th 06 12:35 AM
by Montreal MCT Go to last post
1 477
Vista is history by FusionGuy
That's quite an old build. Right now you can get Build 5600, or RC1, which is a HUGE improvement over your version. DIV"dyann" > wrote in message .../DIV I've been playing around with Vista Beta 2 Build 5384 and it's history. There are so many issues it's scarey. Screen flashes, lost the see...
September 8th 06 05:52 PM
by FusionGuy Go to last post
0 433
Vista Beta 2 started to freeze / hang by CaryGson
Installed Vista Beta 2 six weeks ago. It ran fine ( a few bugs of course). Went on vacation and when I returned it froze after booting. Can't get past it. Symptoms: It boots fine. Loads up some stuff. You can use it and run apps. I can get Task Manager started. After about 2-5 minutes it freezes. No real indication what causes it. Nothing shows on Task Manager. It's actually going...
September 8th 06 05:31 PM
by CaryGson Go to last post
0 456
Vista just started to hang / freeze up by CaryGson
Installed Vista Beta 2 six weeks ago. It ran fine ( a few bugs of course). Went on vacation and when I returned it froze after booting. Can't get past it. Symptoms: It boots fine. Loads up some stuff. You can use it and run apps. I can get Task Manager started. After about 2-5 minutes it freezes. No real indication what causes it. Nothing shows on Task Manager. It's actually going...
September 8th 06 05:24 PM
by CaryGson Go to last post
0 461
more than 2 gb of ram not recognized by Brett Evanson
anyone know why my machine would not recognized the 8 gb of ram i have in there? i am using the 64 bit rc1 edition. i have more details but i am afraid to give them because people will close their minds. any ideas at all are welcome. Brett Evanson
September 8th 06 03:54 PM
by dfeifer Go to last post
2 1,337
Memory Recommendation? by
I have a Pentium D 820 (2.8 GHz) and 2GB DDR2 memory. When I installed Pre-RC1 I had only 1GB memory. I decided to upgrade since it seemed like it was constantly swapping! It helped, no doubt, but I'm curious if anyone else is pleased with responsiveness with only 1 GB? Thanks.
September 8th 06 09:37 AM
by Stefan Z Camilleri Go to last post
2 553
Power Settings - ignored at times? by Dustyd63
Has anyone else seen Vista ignore the maximum and minimum processor state percentages at times? I can't set my laptop to use 50% of my processor max. Vista ignores this hard cap most of the time and runs at 100% if it needs it. -Derek 1.7 GHz Pentium M 1 GB Ram 60 GB Hdd 64 MB NVidia GeForce 5200
September 8th 06 04:07 AM
by Dustyd63 Go to last post
0 450
memory test wait state by peter
Is there a memory test that would tell me the wait states of my PC3200 DIMM DDR memory? Usually CL=2.5 or 3
September 6th 06 10:53 PM
by Hank Keleher Go to last post
1 492
Complete PC Backup - Exclusion of other OS/system partitions by SquidNET
Hello! I've installed Vista (RC1) in a dual-boot environment, alongside XP Pro. I wish to use the image backup mode to backup my entire VISTA OS partition. BUT I do *not* want to backup my XP Pro partition as I have other arrangements for that. However, the option to deselect it from the source partitions pick list is disabled, so the only way I can backup my Vista installation successfully...
September 6th 06 01:54 PM
by SquidNET Go to last post
0 479
Complete PC Backup - Compression by SquidNET
Complete PC Backup - Compression Hello! I've installed Vista (RC1) in a dual-boot environment, alongside XP Pro. I need to be able to back up the PC but the image sizes are almost as big as the partitions being backedup. I am used to heavy compression when imaging (I have been using Paragon Hard Disk Manager to do this up until now) but am now having space issues! I've read here already...
September 6th 06 01:46 PM
by SquidNET Go to last post
0 470
Complete PC Backup - Compression by SquidNET
Hello! I've installed Vista (RC1) in a dual-boot environment, alongside XP Pro. I need to be able to back up the PC but the image sizes are almost as big as the partitions being backedup. I am used to heavy compression when imaging (I have been using Paragon Hard Disk Manager to do this up until now) but am now having space issues! I've read here already that no compression is applied when...
September 6th 06 01:45 PM
by SquidNET Go to last post
0 440
Performance Information and Tools doesn't want to rate my pc by Ed
Performance Information and Tools doesn't want to rate my pc! , I have and error saying that it cannot complete assessment due an error being reported from operating system, driver, or other component. I am running pre RC1 Vista. my laptop is Intel celeron M procesor 1.50 GHZ 1014MB RAM 32 bit OS HD 50GB Video 915GM/GMS/910GML intel ofcourse no aero :-( the only device problem I have is the...
September 6th 06 04:41 AM
by Ed Go to last post
2 493
Performance and Information Tools raw scores by Roof Fiddler
Where can I find the raw numbers (calculations per second, memory operations per second, etc) which Vista uses as the basis for calculating its Windows Experience Index subscores for the processor, memory, graphics, gaming graphics, and primary hard disk? And how exactly does Vista compute those raw numbers?
September 5th 06 07:11 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 454
application causing runtime error by JewelsH
I keep getting the same runtime error popup. Program: C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hptskmgr.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. What I've done: I found the application in task manager and told it to run in XPsp2 compatability mode. The error keeps occurring.
September 5th 06 06:26 PM
by JewelsH Go to last post
0 496
CompletePC Restore (build 5536) by nrms
Trying to restore a complete image backup made yesterday on my drive D: (different partition on the same drive as Vista is installed on). The backup was made successfully using CompletePC Backup and is in a directory called "D:\WindowsImageBackups". I have booted into the Vista DVD disc and selected Recovery Options; CompletePCRestore. However, after scanning my disk for image backups it...
September 5th 06 10:23 AM
by nrms Go to last post
4 515
x86 vs x64 performance by Roberto Baggio
I have: Asus A8N-SLI Athlon x2 x64 3800+ 2GB RAM NVidia GeForce 6600GT 300GB SATA drive The performance of x86 RC1 is fine. I'd rate it close to WinXP performance. Today I installed the RC1 of x64, and overall it seems "snappier" than the
September 5th 06 02:27 AM
by Cyberwolf Go to last post
3 535
windows backup by mjb3367
when trying to use the new windows backup fearture i'm being asked for a password to create a file backup on my own home network. the problem is i have access to all shared files in both directions. desktop to laptop and laptop to desktop and i never setup a password to do this....if anyone has any suggestions i would welcome all comments...thanks
September 4th 06 05:19 PM
by mjb3367 Go to last post

From The