Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Problems getting the Vista backup program to create backups correctly by Robert Miles
For the last few weeks, all my attempts to create a backup on DVDs have failed, almost always the second time the backup program needs to format a new DVD to write the backup to. It then says that I need to do a full backup instead - but asking for a full backup instead gives the same result. Something about a problem with the backup catalog - don't have the error message on the screen to copy...
August 9th 09 12:50 PM
by On Request[_2_] Go to last post
2 211
How can I fix the hive? by Darkwing
Long story short, I loaded hive via regedit, and move some files from my desktop to the public folder while in there. Now I can no longer boot into windows, the computer simply restarts, and I do know that the volume is now corrupt. In retrospect, I realize that messing around in hive caused this, and I'm kicking myself for it. Now all I can do is try to correct this. I am currently...
August 9th 09 09:29 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
5 240
Stationery path question by Mary O.
This was the path to my stationery folder before I used Revo unstaller to uninstall the program "malwarebot remover" C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Stationery Now AppData no longer appears and the Local folder is empty. Did the uninstaller cause this and is it necessary to have these items in the list? I now access my stationery folder in this way:
August 9th 09 04:29 AM
by Mary O. Go to last post
0 226
disable ReadyBoost while on battery? by Jan Wagner
Hi, got a Lenovo X61t laptop/tablet with built-in SD card reader and I'm using the reader mainly with a 4G sdhc for readyboost. Often readyboost decides to reorder/refresh the cache with lots of SATA drive activity for 5 minutes or so. On AC this is fine. But it also happens on battery which is drains the battery faster. So is there any method (say, even some 3rd party prog) to...
August 8th 09 09:29 PM
by Al and Darlene Go to last post
5 267
Youtube videos pause or stall before continuing in vista64 2009 la by Youtube music videos pause after 2mins
Music videos pause or stall in Youtube after about 2 minutes, and then continue after a 20second delay on HP DV6 2009 Vista64 laptop. Using a DSL connection 2mb, 4yr old dell pc using xp plays youtube perfectly and can download youtube music videos in seconds after the video concludes. HP Laptop downloads at reasonable rate but not instantly like 4yr old dell pc using xp. HP laptop updated to...
August 8th 09 04:14 PM
by Youtube music videos pause after 2mins Go to last post
0 224
How to show advanced display view for Windows Vista Disk Defragmen by Matt Callaghan
With Vista's new disk defragmenter, we apparently cannot see the 'detailed view' of the disks status as far as disk fragmentation goes. Is there a way for us to show this view that once existed in Windows XP?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 8th 09 03:34 PM
by 13th_Panther Go to last post
11 438
Setup exe stopped working when uninstalling by Cara
Hi everyone i was hoping someone could give me a hand. When i try to uninstall a program from the control panel i get a message saying setup exe has stopped working. does anyone know why im getting this? or how i can fix it? this is a brand new vaio laptop and i just want to unintall some of the programs that came on it. thanks in advance for any help
August 8th 09 03:24 PM
by podirei Go to last post
7 365
"cannot open volume for direct access" - error message re chkdsk by Conley
The chkdsk utility will no longer run. Instead, I get this error message: "cannot open volume for direct access." I found some old KB articles indicating that this problem had come up under Windows XP and was going to be fixed by an upcoming service pack. Why am I getting this error message with Vista Ultimate?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 8th 09 03:15 PM
by suej196 Go to last post
24 904
How do I get my info back after I backup? by airrix71
My vista 32 stopped booting up. So I got the recovery disks out and started to do a recovery. First it asked if I wanted to back up, so I did. then it would not do the recovery. So I started it again. It did the backup and the recovery worked great the next time through. Now I want to get some the of the stuff back that I backed up. How do I do that? Any and all will be welcome. Thanks very...
August 8th 09 03:01 PM
by SC Tom Go to last post
4 266
Keeps restarting in Repair mode Vista 64 Home Premium HP Pavailion by brianitos
Okay Had system 10 months and now I frequently start in START REPAIR MODE. It runs forever asks me to restore which I have numerous times does not work then I just cancel rstore and let run as long as needed which then it reboots. Many times it runs good for a while then poop again several times aweek. I will start in safe mode if it lets me and have done everything I know to do. Looking for any...
August 8th 09 02:09 PM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
2 303
Error message by erniecash
*I'm getting an error message in the center of my desktop when i start up vista which says; * * X* * Version Changed * * Bad License File*
August 8th 09 12:56 PM
by stoneys-nutz Go to last post
3 265
constant blue screen errors by miles
hello guys. Ive got i big problem with my machine. I constantly am getting blue screen errors randomly. I have windows vista home premium here are some error messages - ---- Problem signatu Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
August 8th 09 05:00 AM
by malleshk2003 Go to last post
2 242
Pc don't work right when changing user accounts... by felinaboricua21
Every time I log off or switch user the next account I try to log into doesn't load properly. Half of the content on the background is missing and when trying to use the internet a page a saying there's a problem with the connection shows up instead of going to the address I typed. My internet connection is working fine. The only way I can get the pc to work is rebooting it. I'm using Vista Home...
August 7th 09 10:04 PM
by Tbirdro[_3_] Go to last post
2 230
SYSTEM CRASH by Steve Martin
Hi, My System crashes down atleast 2-3 times in a day. While i work, unexpectedly it goes to a blue screen and restarts again. I am clueless if its a problem with the Ethernet network or some hardware problem. I have mentioned the report below for reference. Kindly help me with a solution. Fault bucket 0xC5_2_nt!ExAllocatePoolWithTag+4ca, type 0 Event Name: BlueScreen Response:
August 7th 09 01:54 PM
by amlandreau[_2_] Go to last post
1 195
Windows Explorer crashes by docevil[_3_]
This problem cropped up a couple years ago on this forum. I will provide the original post because he puts it perfectly: AJ;548558 Wrote: Any time Windows Explorer is called into action it crashes, causing loss of any information in the opening window and causing a full refresh of the desktop. -*doc*Edited out info that does not pretain to me*doc*- This is really getting to be an...
August 7th 09 07:45 AM
by Gordon[_9_] Go to last post
4 257
adobe flash 10 by James[_16_]
adobe flash ten crashes i.e. 7 and 8 even fire fox it dose this after a few mins of use have any one got any ideas am trying to help my sister out with this problem I have email adobe but they haven't came up with any thing.
August 7th 09 12:50 AM
by James[_16_] Go to last post
0 198
(question)a problem has caused the program to close, need help, how to disable this by collision
Hi.. im using windows vista and runing a small online game server which sometimes crashes.. and displays the close box.. but i have a restarter.. which doesn't restart the app if i don manualy close it by pressing the close button.. is there a way to disable this close box displaying? just automaticaly close the program.. i need help very much please! -- collision
August 6th 09 04:14 PM
by collision Go to last post
3 180
Explorer.exe uses much CPU for several minutes in 10 minutes inter by Dima
Hello! Explorer.exe began to use much of CPU (it look like) after increasing RAM from 2GB to 6GB. Explorer.exe uses much of CPU when I open a 4Gb mkv file in VLC player when uTorrent has been seeding for 8 hours already. OS is Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64. Page file is 'system managed' on G: HDD. Before increasing RAM, HDD was busy for several minutes in 30 minutes intervals when uTorrent...
August 6th 09 07:13 AM
by Dima Go to last post
0 201
Setting 'System managed' page file for d: drive causes high CPU us by Dima
Hello! Setting 'System managed' page file for my d: drive (EIDE Samsung SP2514N on JMicron JMB363 PATA and SATA controller on my Asus P5K motherboard) causes explorer.exe to use about 90% of CPU after a restart for several minutes and in about 10 minutes intervals during 720p video playback in VLC Player for several minutes. RAM 6GB, CPU Intel E6750. Vista Ultimate x64. I have set 'no page...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 6th 09 07:08 AM
by Dima Go to last post
12 359
Windows sidebar won't automatically start anymore by Jibberish
Hi, my side bar won't keep it's setting to start when computer starts anymore. I have no problem getting it to open manually and all tools are working correctly on it. I have selected under the properties to start when windows starts and apply/ok. But for what ever reason it does not keep that setting? Any suggestions to help? Very novice here as to terminology, but do appreciate any help.
August 5th 09 11:36 PM
by mallian Go to last post

From The