Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
My Vista laptop-monitor by needfix
my laptop monitor wont come on even thoug the system itself turns on and lights up. Anyone has some answers -- needfix
August 5th 09 05:38 PM
by dgmacmi[_2_] Go to last post
3 210
Vista home premium backup by Donna
I'm using Vista backup and restore centre to do a full backup to a DVD and it's now been running for more than 24 hours! The little green bar showing progress is fairly close to the end but doesn't seem to be advancing any further. Must be something wrong. Should I just end the process and wait until I can get a portable drive to back up to and use some other software altogether? Will the...
August 5th 09 12:31 PM
by amlandreau[_2_] Go to last post
3 217
"This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help! by wishingonastar
My copy of Windows Vista is definitely genuine, it came with my laptop when I bought it. I have had it for about a year and a half now and it has never done this before. I shut it down to install updates, then restarted it, logged in, but it came up with 'the product activation code you entered is not valid' so I selected 'type new prict code' and entered the code on the sticker on the back of...
August 5th 09 11:22 AM
by H[_4_] Go to last post
3 228
'OPSnnnn.tmp' Files (1,600+) 0 kb Size In Local\Temp--What & Why? by Susan[_7_]
Vista 64-bit... I have to start somewhere though this isn't likely a Vista concern. I recently changed wireless routers from Netgear to Linksys, uninstalled and reinstalled Open Office Writer, and made some other various adjustments. Unfortunately I've discovered in 'name'\AppData\Local\Temp over 1,600 (and counting) 0 kb files named 'OPSnnnn.tmp', where 'nnnn' appears to be an...
August 5th 09 05:10 AM
by Susan[_7_] Go to last post
1 214
Vista file copy/backup wizard always in my system tray by Paul[_34_]
I tried once to use the WET in Vista, but it told me I didn't have enough disk space and it stopped. Ever since then, every hour or so I see an icon in my system tray that tells me that teh service has stopped. I have gone into the Control Panel, Administrative/Services section to disable the service, but it keeps on appearing. What can I do to shut this thing off for good? -- Paul Vista...
August 4th 09 11:48 PM
by Paul[_34_] Go to last post
2 200
short Start menu by t-4-2[_99_]
Vista Home premium 32 bit SP1, WM/WLM Once a while when I clicked on Start button, a SHORT start menu popped up. I had to re-click again to get the ' full ' size Start menu. Has it happened to anyone ? t-4-2
August 4th 09 01:25 AM
by t-4-2[_99_] Go to last post
3 234
Vista Ultimate 64 bit Back Up Questions by kskwerl
Hey everyone, this is going to sound like a stupid question and i've looked places but can't seem to get an answer to this specific question. Is there a way I can back up my Windows Vista Ultimate to the point where if say my RAID 0 array fails and I have to redo my RAID and set up Vista from scratch that I can just pop in some backup media such as another HD or DVD's and install my computer...
August 4th 09 12:25 AM
by kskwerl Go to last post
3 241
permissions by eaterjolly
how do i give myself full control over my entire computer i dont care one bit if i mess it up so badly that i cant even get the welcome screen :) -- eaterjolly
August 3rd 09 11:21 PM
by eaterjolly Go to last post
7 218
Internet Explorer by eaterjolly
how do i uninstall internet exlporer -- eaterjolly
August 3rd 09 03:12 PM
by eaterjolly Go to last post
6 216
Sent mail stays in Outbox by Gladys
I am so tired of the Windows Vista issues with email. NOW, and probably because I have an undeletable email in the Outbox, my mail is not sending. I am at a loss here so ANY help would be appreciated before I call to wine and moan to Microsoft. Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 3rd 09 06:42 AM
by Robert Miles Go to last post
10 363
Does anybody know fix 0x800106ba in VISTA Home premium 32 bits by Sheldon Rodrigues
Hi, my name is Sheldon Does anybody know fix 0x800106ba in VISTA Home premium 32 bits? thanks
August 3rd 09 03:23 AM
by LadyL[_2_] Go to last post
2 228
C drive temporarily full? by alex
I'm operating Vista Home Premium 32 on a Gateway PC with 2GB memory and a 140GB main drive. Today the system has been very slow but I put it down to server overload and AV scans. Just 15 minutes ago I decided to look around for the problem. I looked at the C Drive and the space available bar was red! It told me there was only 387MB available out of 140GB. Looking at the folders on C I...
August 3rd 09 02:36 AM
by No Name Go to last post
1 214
explorer.exe uses much of CPU by Dima
Hello! explorer.exe uses about 90% of CPU after a restart for several minutes and in about 10 minutes intervals during 720p video playback in VLC Player for several minutes. RAM 6GB, CPU Intel E6750. Vista Ultimate x64. Regards, Dima
August 2nd 09 09:30 PM
by Dima Go to last post
3 182
removing norton processes by eaterjolly
norton expired on my computer i got new firewalls and i cant remove norton because the only permissions available are trusted installer how do i give my self full control -- eaterjolly
August 2nd 09 04:26 PM
by eaterjolly Go to last post
2 207
wifi icon missing from taskbar by ~alan HDX~
Hi, Can anyone tell me how to restore the wifi icon in the taskbar? I have vista home premium on an HP laptop. It was there this morning, and now, when i turned it on, its gone. I right clicked on the taskbar, then left clicked on properties, found the notification area, and the network square is grayed out so I can't put a check in it. I think that is what would put the icon back next to...
August 2nd 09 11:41 AM
by ~alan HDX~ Go to last post
5 223
VVista/XP by Spook
Hello all. I have a Vista Started machine with XP on the other machine. I cannot see the Vista machine from XP and from Vista I cannot go into the XP program files/ windows folder. Any help? Thanks, Spook
August 2nd 09 06:02 AM
by Spook Go to last post
0 192
A problem with using more than 50% of the memory under Vista SP2 by Robert Miles
I've been seeing problems with significant slowdowns on both of my Vista Home Premium SP2 machines lately whenever the amount of physical memory used, as reported by Windows Task Manager, gets much over 50% of the total present. I first saw this problem on my 64-bit machine with 8 GB, and therefore guessed that the problem was due to the 4 GB limit for a program running in 32-bit mode. However,...
August 1st 09 08:57 PM
by SC Tom Go to last post
3 227
Big Problem=Power outage+install SP1 by zulu1957
During the installation (stage 2, 3 or 4%)of the installation of SP1, the lights went out and the computer turnhimself off. At restart, nothing happened,get stuck on the progress bars. Methods tried: 1-create recovery disk, i restarted with computer repair. It recognized error at start up, and tried to correct.All process went by , now Vista will pass the progress bars, screen goes black and
August 1st 09 03:02 PM
by Victek Go to last post
1 217
File selection problems in Vista by Josh Reece[_2_]
I have two problems. The important one is that in some desktop folders I can only select files one at a time, but in others I can select a bunch at a time in the standard way. I've looked at all the tabs in the Options sections, and everything seems o be the same in both folders. The unimportant problem is that on the desktop itself, when I select one file then another in a different column,...
August 1st 09 02:26 PM
by Josh Reece[_2_] Go to last post
3 230
IE7 behavior by Sinner
Frequently, when closing IE7, a dialog pops up saying the IE has stooped working. It provides 2 options, check for a solution on-line and restart the program, or just restart the program. Clicking the red x in the title bar will close the dialog without restarting anything. It's an annoyance, and I'd like to get it cleared up. I'm running Vista Business SP2 32-bit.
August 1st 09 07:51 AM
by Sinner Go to last post

From The