Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Failure - Security Options with SP2 by jdeans
Sorry, not able to post in other thread for some reason. Anyways, I now have the same problem but mine began with the installation of Windows Vista SP2. I have a Gateway 6850FX. The problem starts when I try to defrag the C:, it gets so slow that the screen blacks out and the "Failure - Security Options" "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog." message displays. So...
July 31st 09 11:39 PM
by jdeans Go to last post
0 247
Avast in Notification area by t-4-2[_99_]
Not sure which newsgroup I should be using. Hope this is the right one. I have an avast icon in the Notification area. Each time it completed an virus data base update, it would pop up and make a verbal announcement. It is quite annoying, and sometimes disruptive. I tried to hide it by : right click task bar Properties Notification Area Customize select Hide on avast! ( both ). Won't...
July 31st 09 08:20 PM
by t-4-2[_99_] Go to last post
4 218
Files Keep appearing on desktop by lillix
i recentley downloaded some mp3 files i delete them off my desktop and they reappear like an hour later Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums
July 31st 09 07:54 PM
by lillix Go to last post
0 199
Printing from old application - Need Help by KMCHENRY
I have an old MS DOS application which runs fine under Vista with one exception. How can I capture or redirect LPT1? Does "Net Use" work in Vista Thanks for your input Kevin
July 31st 09 07:04 PM
by KMCHENRY Go to last post
0 193
Vista Startup Disaster by BlitzRaid
A couple days ago I turned off my computer normally. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit. The next time I turn it on the login screen is blank. There is no visuals or sounds only the mouse which i can freely move. So I turn it off again and disconnect everything and just let it sit for a while (no idea why I thought that would help). The next time I turn it on I can reach the login screen but when I...
July 31st 09 06:20 PM
by eds4 Go to last post
3 205
Vista Defragmenter by cyrano.
I have faith in piriform defraggler. Cyrano.
July 31st 09 05:19 PM
by cyrano. Go to last post
0 189
Tired of Vista Errors by noxious411
Hello. I have installed and reinstalled vista numerous times this weekend in order to get my system to start. Few days ago I get the BSOD and the infinite start up loop begins. I reformatted and installed so many times, swapping ram, removing various hardware untill i swap out Graphics cards. I get a clean install and boot! I thought at last, I have this finally fixed. I update my drivers then...
July 31st 09 10:35 AM
by Older guy Go to last post
3 240
Resource Monitor (perfmon.exe) not working by AuYong
Resource Monitor (perfmon.exe) is not displaying/updating any graphs or statistics all the graphs are empty. Any solution to this or anyone knows heads or tails on what's happening? -- From Au Yong
July 31st 09 07:24 AM
by Bill Daggett Go to last post
2 202
Stop restoring desktop ?? by Drew Leyda[_2_]
Hello: Often when I download and install Windows updates my desktop settings revert to the way they where when I got the computer. I get the message "Restoring desktop" I have to go into System Restore and go back to a point 2 or 3 days old. Is there any way to keep this from happening ? Thank you Drew
July 31st 09 04:15 AM
by Drew Leyda[_2_] Go to last post
0 198
Warning - Event ID 1530 by MrSlartybartfast
I get two of these warnings everytime I restart the computer and I don't know what it means. I use Vista 64bit and full computer specs listed below. The warnings date back many weeks to when I first install Windows.. Any information about this warning is much needed, or how to diagnose if this is the cause of my instability. Other than this warning my event log is fairly clean, so I'm...
July 31st 09 03:09 AM
by dood Go to last post
7 212
Installed Patches Information by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Jay wrote: Windows Vista Business. No this computer does not update visa WSUS. Used WUA API to actually download and install the patch. For example, I installed KB937287. Went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Updates and did not find any information on that patch as I expected. So I am wondering where this information (such as InstalledDate, InstalledBy etc) is stored...
July 30th 09 11:58 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 174
My background picture is stretched... by nikkah
I did a complete restore of my system yesterday and I'm trying to bring my settings back right now. I am having a problem with setting picture on my background. If I select the full-screen picture, it is stretched and doesn't look good. If I select the center picture option, the picture is enlarged. Before I did the full system restore everything with the desktop settings worked fine, but now I...
July 30th 09 08:00 PM
by roy69[_196_] Go to last post
3 233
Vista Defragmenter by Eric[_19_]
"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message ... On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:14:48 -0400, "ColTom2" wrote: Hi: Windows Vista Defragmenter is about the worst that I have ever seen. It does not show you any progression status and it takes forever.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 30th 09 11:58 AM
by Michael's Psychiatrist Go to last post
15 366
Crashing in explorer.exe module by STALAG
I am getting the following crash on my newly installed Vista ultimate system. Would like to know how to stop this. Here are some of the crash logs. #1 Problem signatu Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: Explorer.EXE Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
July 30th 09 07:10 AM
by SacredAge Go to last post
8 299
Vista Defragmenter by Gordon's Psychiatrist[_4_]
vistostimorth wrote: Manfred Nathanal Hollingsworth wrote: Gordon wrote: "+Bob+" wrote in message ... On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 12:27:25 +0100, "Gordon" wrote: And it does slow down after time.
July 30th 09 12:45 AM
by Gordon's Psychiatrist[_4_] Go to last post
0 171
Vista Defragmenter by Eric[_19_]
"Jim" wrote in message ... On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:14:48 -0400, "ColTom2" wrote: Hi: Windows Vista Defragmenter is about the worst that I have ever seen. It does not show you any progression status and it takes forever.
July 28th 09 06:05 PM
by Eric[_19_] Go to last post
0 180
Vista Defragmenter by Eric[_19_]
"JamesJ" wrote in message ... I don't worry about it. I just do those things for myself. I defrag, maybe once a month. I just feel the more items running slows my system down. And since I've been tweaking Vista services I've noticed my system starting faster and not having to wait for 5 minutes after the desktop...
July 28th 09 06:01 PM
by Eric[_19_] Go to last post
0 173
Vista Defragmenter by Eric[_19_]
"Bill Daggett" wrote in message ... Bill Sharpe wrote: A fragmented HDD is one of the least likely causes of a slow machine.... True enough, but if defrag will slow down the machine while it's running. Since defrag seems to work in the background it's not always easy to tell that it...
July 28th 09 05:54 PM
by Eric[_19_] Go to last post
0 188
Vista Defragmenter by Steve H.[_2_]
I find perfect disk to be the best at defragging. I love it and use it all the time. "ColTom2" wrote in message ... Hi: Windows Vista Defragmenter is about the worst that I have ever seen. It does not show you any progression status and it takes forever.
July 28th 09 04:24 PM
by Steve H.[_2_] Go to last post
0 209
Plzzz help plzzz by INEEDHELPPLZ
HI IM SOOO IN NEED OF HELP I HAD JUST RECOVERD FROM A VISTA ERROR WITH NEW VISTA INSTALLED (my uncle re-installed) AND HE LEFT AND I MESSED UP MY PC AGAIN ALL I HAVE IS A VISTA REOVERY CD NO re-install POSSIBLE. I PUT IN WINDOWS 7 THEME PLUS EXTRAS AND I RESTART AND SAYS "LoginUI.exe - Entry Point Not Found, The procedure entry point GetPhysicallyInstalledSystemMemory could not be located in the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 28th 09 03:22 PM
by Brink Go to last post

From The