Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
PC frezees on restart by PeterPhilipp
Hi My PC is a Aspire iDea 510 with a Intel Core(TM)2 CPU T5500. 1 GB RAM. I'm running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1 I normally leave my computer 'on' after finishing working, and after 15 minuttes it goes into 'sleeping mode'. During the night the computer automatically wakes up to search for software updates. If any update (normally Windows-updates) forces the...
July 27th 09 01:09 PM
by PeterPhilipp[_2_] Go to last post
2 232
Restore from Back up on external HDD by scottey101
Hi all, can anyone please help? I've recently had a new hard drive fitted in my Compaq pc because the old one was immently going to crash. Before I had the hard disk changed I done a back up with the backup and recovery program in Vista Home Premium and saved it to an portable hard disk. After the new disk was fitted, I reinstalled Vista Home Premium with the recovery disks supplied, and tried...
July 27th 09 02:16 AM
by Robert Miles Go to last post
2 197
Freeing up space on C partition by Paul[_34_]
I'm trying to free up space on my C partition--I have about 25% left (8.5 gigs free out of 30). My Windows folder is taking up some 13 gigs, but none of the folders seem that large--System 32 and Explorer both have about 2 gigs. I have checked the folder options to display hidden system files, but still can't see anything. I have run Disk Cleanup a few times, as well as defragged. What can I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 27th 09 01:25 AM
by Robert Miles Go to last post
11 375
Data Execution Prevention keeps closing IE8 by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint) "Chiefs" wrote in message ... I have a 64 bit windows vista os and recently IE8 gives me the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a solution to the problem" When I click "close" on the message box, it goes away but IE is...
July 27th 09 12:51 AM
by Robert Miles Go to last post
1 204
Vista takes a long time to boot Home Premium 64bit by Ed
It stalls at Microsoft Corporation and just sits there with the scroll green blocks for at least 10 min.
July 26th 09 09:18 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
6 229
cannot write to folder by delta_J
I am trying to (legally) recode a video clip using Dr. DivX on my 32-bit legit Vista Ultimate. I keep getting the error that the output forlder is Read-Only, no matter which folder I choose to recode to on the internal drive on which Vista is installed, my external drive, or even my USB flash drive. I am aware that Vista, similarly to XP, turns on the read-only attribute in most folders by...
July 26th 09 09:11 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
4 229
How I do improve my performance score? by allen9190
Hi, I have an ASUS laptop (see link for specs) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172851&type=product&id=1218044029604 Here are the performance scores from Windows Experience Index: Processor: 4.9 Memory (RAM): 5.0 Graphics: 3.4 Gaming Graphics: 4.6 Primary Hard Disk: 5.4
July 26th 09 12:53 AM
by Bill Daggett Go to last post
4 223
graphics? by Mike Givens
I just did a complete restore on my PC. On the desktop down in the task bar when the cursor is over an icon it shows a pic of the web site. I can't remember how to disable this function that enables this to happen. Help please
July 25th 09 09:46 PM
by Mike Givens Go to last post
0 205
Video playing issues by [email protected]
Hi, For awhile I could play videos with no problems, but now when I try to play them (from Youtube for example) they stop and start and stop and start with that circle thingy whirling when it pauses and take forever. I tried uninstalling the adobe flash player and reinstalling it, but that has not done anything to fix the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
July 25th 09 09:10 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
4 216
Vista Defragmenter by mazorj
"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message ... On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 00:14:24 -0400, +Bob+ wrote: On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:04:39 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote: I understand your desire to watch colors change on the screen but the
July 25th 09 02:07 PM
by mazorj Go to last post
0 191
Question
Need to install MDAC by Skippster
Received a message on my screen that: "The .NET Framework Data Providers require Microsoft Data Access Components. Please install Microsoft Data Access Components '(MDAC) 2.6 or higher." How do I do/get this?? I am using Vista with a 64 bit. Many thanks !!
July 25th 09 07:56 AM
by DL[_3_] Go to last post
1 221
Reformat gone horrible by BrodyNoQ
ok .. i tried to reformat vist .. i have a custom pc .. ASUS P5K SE/EPU motherboard .. i have no clue what i was doing .. i have two disk spaces .. my C drive 90gb. and my D drive . when i tried .. but i ended up installing vista on the wrong partition .. and now when i start up it gives me two options to start up on .. the top one is the vista i just installed .. and the bottom is my old stuff...
July 25th 09 12:43 AM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
3 218
how do I clean up recovery D drive? by Donna
I've been reading threads about getting the 'low on space' on D drive to find out how to clean up my drive after using it for back-up, unfortunately. I see a list of files that should be there are Dell, Program Files, Sources, Tools, Users and Windows. However, there are folders within folders within folders in these files in my D drive, so I'm wondering if I can safely delete any of them. A...
July 24th 09 03:38 PM
by Victek Go to last post
7 230
complete system backup does not work by Hassenjee
when I try to make a complete backup of the computer, after a few minutes i get the following error The backup application could not start due to an internal error: Server execution failed (0x80080005) ... files backup works perfectly, please help.
July 24th 09 06:24 AM
by Emil Musayev Go to last post
8 315
Death Screen! *Dun Dun DUUN* by Beyond
A few months ago I suffered frequent "Blue Screen of Death" moments,after a while of cleaning things off my toshiba laptop and doing a few virus scans and such the blue-screens stopped. Yesterday night I started listening to music on my laptop using it's own music player. Twice the screen went blank momentarily,I dismissed this for a temporary issue and thought nothing of it as it carried on fine...
July 24th 09 12:15 AM
by Charlie Tame Go to last post
2 228
Does Vista prefer SATA BIOS setting IDE or AHCI ?? (KB922976) by Blithe[_2_]
My system specs: OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Model Maximus Extreme (ASUS) System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 4 Core(s) BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0904, 12/18/2007
July 23rd 09 10:50 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP Go to last post
3 302
Can't View Defrag Progress by tmansc
I can't find a way to view the progress of defragmenter in Vista RC1. Is there a way?
July 23rd 09 08:22 PM
by Raymond Shaw Go to last post
9 1,602
Vista business recommended? by Josh Reece[_2_]
I've been one of the unfortunates who has had a lot of problems with Vista (Home Premium version). Windows 7 won't be out till October, but I need a new computer now. What is the general opinion about Vista Business? Any good, or is it similarly plagued by problems? Thanks for your input.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 23rd 09 07:33 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP Go to last post
24 629
Snipping Tool/Sticky Notes Cannot Start by edde
I just noticed today that when I try to run the Snipping Tool, I get this error: THE SNIPPING TOOL IS NOT WORKING ON YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW. RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, AND THEN TRY AGAIN. IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS, CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR. I've been running Vista Ultimate for about a year now, and installed SP1 this week.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 23rd 09 05:20 PM
by Ricky Go to last post
22 765
burner question, Vista home premium by ~alan HDX~
Hi, I am new to Vista and burned my first data CD this morning. I used the built in feature to do so. I could not see how much room was left on the CD prior to burning. All of the burning software I have used in the past indicated how much room was used, and how much was left. I'm sure I'm just missing something here because it is such a fundamental aspect of burning optical disks. How...
July 23rd 09 12:50 PM
by ~alan HDX~ Go to last post

From The