Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vertical Gray Panel in display by sweeneysmsm
I am helping someone with a problem affecting her Acer XP Home laptop. The laptop is less than 3 years old and has been behaving fine. A few days ago a grayed vertical panel appeared toward the right of the display stretching from top to bottom and being consistently present regardless of what program was being used. The only partial exception was when the initial Acer splash screen...
July 5th 09 09:54 PM
by sweeneysmsm Go to last post
1 237
high cpu usage due to "hardware interrupts" by jdfdoc
Running vista on 2.8 Ghz Pentium D with 2G of RAM. CPU usage is always 40%. I've instaled "process explorer" to try to figure this out and it shows 'hardware interrupts" as consuming the bulk of the cpu usage. I don't know how to proceed from this point and am looking for ideas. Thanks -- jdfdoc
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 5th 09 05:57 PM
by pcbilski Go to last post
12 455
Blue screen stop error oxoooooo8E by Mrfreddy
Hello Sir, I have a toshiba x86 32bit and i am facing lately continual blue screen crash with constant computer freezing after it load and the desktop is loading or after 5min of starting work on the laptop .i following the problem error mentioned as following : The blue screen briefly says : A problem has been detected and windows had been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer. if this...
July 5th 09 01:08 PM
by Mrfreddy Go to last post
0 247
Is GameBooster and harmful to vista? by soldier000
Hey is gamebooster harmful to vista? when i use it i get like 200-400 mb of extra ram while gaming but i was wondering if its harmful to my pc it baicly turns off some programs i dont need for the time being and when im done gaming i can turn all those programs back on -- soldier000
July 5th 09 01:18 AM
by soldier000 Go to last post
0 222
Windows will not Load After Power Blip by therock[_11_]
Windows will not Load After A Power company Blip. I had my bios set to load up to the state it was in before the power failed and came home to find I had a power outage and the screen showed one of the windows start up loading green dash scroll bars stuck in the middle. Safe mode no good. Boot to Vista disc and repairs cannot be made. Pulled ram sticks to check for bad ones and no go.
July 4th 09 11:29 PM
by SC Tom Go to last post
4 239
Uninstalling Finale 2002 by Paul Calcagno
I'm running Windows Vista, SP2 with 2 GB of RAM. All WU's are current. On June 23 I foolishly installed (from a pirated CD) a copy of Finale 2002 Music notation program. While the program does seem to work, I'm now having problems with this program either freezing itself (requiring a hard shutdown), freezing Windows or my computer freezing when other apps are open, like Firefox. Finale...
July 4th 09 09:11 PM
by JimF[_2_] Go to last post
4 236
programs stop working before they start. by alar85
Hi, I'm using win vista home premium, and i'm trying to start program named visual lightbox 1.8. I know, that it should work with vista, friend tried it with vista, and it worked. Also, there is information on visual lightbox homepage, that works with vista. i'v tried uninstalling norton antivirus (now i'm using avg:geek:), run the program as administrator. Cheked, that windows firewall is ok...
July 4th 09 09:11 AM
by alar85 Go to last post
0 216
Aquarium screensaver in Vista? by ritzput
i loved my Aquarium theme on XP...Vista has basics...nothing interesting. Any possiblity of non-spyware to download aquarium...is freeze.com or screensaver.com really unsafe? Any way to copy and paste this theme from XP to Vista....nah..that would be to easy!!!!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 4th 09 01:35 AM
by Manny Weisbord Go to last post
17 458
Vista x64 Constantly freezing Chkdsk not working by theanna
Hello... Until just recently my x64 has been freezing completely on me randomly..I'm not sure if anyone else uses Cox Communications for the internet, but after I set it up on this computer it's gone bad on me... first if I were to listen WMP it stops midway song and everything stops working, then just browsing the net will freeze it, CTRLaltdlte won't work and I have to shut it down...
July 3rd 09 07:27 PM
by theanna Go to last post
5 223
Network & volume icons missing by t-4-2[_99_]
Vista Home Premium SP1 32 bit Network and volume icons disappear from notification area. I did right click on Start button Properties Notification. Both boxes are grayed out. t-4-2
July 3rd 09 04:11 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 208
Is RamBooster any good for Vista? by r1k1n
Hey all;) Just a quickie. Just wanted to know if RamBooster is any god for Vista ? My fiance has a laptop that is a 32bit vista with 2gig Ram, but still kinda slow to load up. Any advice woudl be great! Rik
July 3rd 09 01:31 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
5 260
Upgrade OEM Vista to Retail Win7 by Ronc
I understand the OEM license that comes with a PC has restrictions that the retail version does not have. Do any of these restrictions carry forward to the new retail OS when an OEM version of an OS is used as the basis for the Upgrade version of the newer OS?
July 3rd 09 09:06 AM
by Ronc Go to last post
0 193
Stop Error: 0x00000101 Issue by ThirdStarr
Ok here is what my issue is, whenever I use any program that is graphic intensive I get the BSOD or error that states that an error occurred in the problem and it will be closed. Program examples are Bioshock, Unreal Tournament 3, VLC, ZoomPlayer, and Windows Media Player. The last 3 programs stop or Blue Screen when trying to play h264 Mkv files for High Def Movies , the following is the Error...
July 3rd 09 03:10 AM
by TheMegabit Go to last post
4 455
Corrupt files - chkdsk utility by swattig
I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is my second issue. S
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 2nd 09 08:51 PM
by Harold Noel Go to last post
23 619
Vista toolbars, appearance is not aero anymore-help! by r1k1n
hello all;))) my fiances laptop has somehow gone back to the greyish appearance scheme and not that smooth vista black/blue aero type appearance. any help???!!! it was fine this morning, then after i turned it on it had changed.... help!!! rik):confused:
July 2nd 09 07:28 AM
by r1k1n Go to last post
2 191
Recycle bin by loulou_44
Just bought a new computer with Vista Home Basic. I accidentally deleted the recycle bin off the desktop and can not find it anywhere!! If you have any suggestions on where it could be and how to put it back on the desktop, it would be greatly appreciated!!!! -- Thanks bunches!
July 2nd 09 04:51 AM
by Sally[_4_] Go to last post
5 176
Unexpected shutdown by hothed91
*_GateWay_GT5428,_intel_pentium_D_CPU_3.20GHz,_1GB_of_RAM,_32-bit_system._* ok my dad bought a Gateway (model:GT5428) desktop about two years ago. well not long after that it started to shutdown unexpectedly. ofcoarse my dad thinking that it would cost a butt load of money to get it fixed. so he tried to fix it himself and asking my step-grandfather to help him, but the problem still continues....
July 2nd 09 01:37 AM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
4 190
System Hanging by si9
Hi Ive noticed my PC hanging lately over last few weeks, especially at startup. Only Zone Alarm SS is set to load at startup. Im running Vista HP with all MS updates installed. AMD 2.6GHZ Processor, and 4MB of RAM. Ive ran all the usual virus and malware checks and all is clear.
July 1st 09 09:07 PM
by si9 Go to last post
4 242
32 bit or 64 bit in this situation? by DrTeeth
Unfortunately, my chipset supports a max of 4GB and that is what I have installed. This means that both 32 and 64 bit OSs have the same amount of memory available, viz 3.12 GB. See MSKB 929605 for more info. Are there any performance benefits in this situation to using 64 bits over 32 bits (Windows and/or Linux)? I am only interested in better performance and nothing else like driver...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 1st 09 06:06 PM
by Anteaus Go to last post
11 348
Unable to update Vista by Dennis Pfeifer
tried CSR checking, did not resolve. here's the "ReportingEvents" {D2E46C66-90E0-4B35-B8D2-421316BA094E} 2009-06-28 11:09:24:569-0500 1 183 101 {810D6B8E-E0B3-4B40-9D5D-5D56BBDB22EA} 501 0 wusa Success Content Install Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for Windows (KB947821) {D1C7412E-214F-437E-AB16-9A3201AA1D8B} 2009-06-28...
July 1st 09 08:04 AM
by Spirit[_5_] Go to last post

From The