Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Extra partitions on Disk management by caseyckc
hey i want to put linux on my computer as a stepping stone leading towards my career and want to dual boot vista with linux unfortuneately i got 3 partitions in total. 1 that has EISA Configuration and an unknown 4.73GB (Healthy) partition, that i am unsure of what purpose it has because it has no info on it. I want to get rid of it so i have more space for linux thanks
June 25th 09 07:21 AM
by caseyckc Go to last post
3 227
Corrupt registry repair by Mike
Hi my daughter's computer 'cannot load the hive (file) \systemroot\system32\config\SOFTWARE...' and has been unable to repair itself. I have tried system restore and I cannot remember the exact message but basically there appear to be no restore points to go back to. Can I do anything e.g. edit or repair or restore the registry using the command prompt? And if so how? Is there any solution?
June 25th 09 04:30 AM
by Spirit[_5_] Go to last post
7 244
Aero stopped working on my Vista Home Premium Dell by Mad Mouse
Somewhere in the past 2 weeks, Aero stopped working for me. I have tried the troubleshooters to no avail, and spent 3 hours on the phone with Dell and still no luck. When I try to turn Aero back on I go to Window Color and Appearance and it shows it set to "Vista Basic" when I change it to "Vista Aero", and apply and O.K., the screen does a little shimmy but the features are still not...
June 25th 09 04:18 AM
by Donald[_4_] Go to last post
5 208
Internet Problem by gme4l1f3
I have a vista x32 and my internet is not working because it say's Limited or no connectivity, i found the driver for it. It was called nvmfdx32.sys and when i open it with a notepad it shows a big blank spot in the middle of the document. I don't know how to reinstall the driver for it or fix it. All i need to do is get a new driver to make it work I think. -- gme4l1f3
June 25th 09 02:54 AM
by Donald[_4_] Go to last post
4 231
Windows Update Taking 5-Hours or More by PA Bear [MS MVP]
TBear94044 wrote: Windows Vista Home, SP1. When I go through Windows Update or install new software it generally takes me 5-Hours or more to get the darn thing installed. (Turbo Tax 2008 took me 45-Hours). For whatever reason my Dell XPS running Windows Vista Home SP1 goes into creating many long restore points and appears to be going through
June 24th 09 06:26 PM
by Spirit[_5_] Go to last post
2 219
Undesired Auto turn offs by Francois
The minute that I do not move the mouse for a couple of minutes, the computer returns to the situation that I would need to fill password & open it again!
June 24th 09 01:30 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 214
windows explorer font color by AFA
I created a new volume fron unallocated space. The volume seems to work fine. However in windows explorer the font is blue, not black. For all other volumes the font is black. Is this a problem? Why is the font blue? how can i chabge it to black? Thanks all. -- AFA
June 23rd 09 10:36 PM
by supposed2b Go to last post
4 273
Vista, some screensavers work, but I can't add any, and larger ones do not show up. by Gerry Mander
Some screensavers work, but there are several that are in system that are not listed. In addition when I add new ones they do not show up in the screensavers list. It seems as though the larger ones are the ones which do not work. Nothing wireless being used. -- Gerry Mander ------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 23rd 09 12:18 AM
by Gerry Mander Go to last post
0 208
Computer freezes when formatting extended volume by rj
I was using Bootit NG to back up the C drive onto an extended volume when the screen became vertical stripes. Sometimes it just goes blank. So I deleted the drive and it merged with adjacent free space so I had 35 GB free space. I went into Disk Management and created a new volume with the free space using NTFS Default cluster size but had the same problem while formatting. So I broke it up into...
June 22nd 09 03:48 PM
by SC Tom Go to last post
1 203
Programs not responding by Steve/Aus
I have been running Vista for some time on a new machine. Non responsive programs are a daily, no make that an hourly occurance. Most of the time they end up launching successfully or overcoming the hanging problem, but quite often Vista will warn that the program needs to shut down. The program that seems most susceptible to this is CorelDraw X3 although it does it on all programs including...
June 22nd 09 03:13 PM
by Frank Holman[_2_] Go to last post
6 272
SFC.exe error by wimmerman
Hello. When I try to run sfc.exe/scannow as administrator it always stops at 76% and I get the message "can't execute the operation asked for" (translated from Dutch). The cbs log shows the following errors at the end: POQ 59 ends. 2009-06-15 21:01:01, Info CSI 0000014c Verify complete
June 22nd 09 01:42 PM
by wimmerman Go to last post
4 223
Favorites issue by juanitahobo
i'm running vista ultimate x64 and ie7 tries access the folder doc\Favorites\Favorites as a default favorites folder even though it saves favorites in the folder doc\Favorites - and the same happens with ie8... i run regedit and the favorites folder is specified as %USERPROFILE%\Favorites no luck either trying to rename the highest level favorites directory ... has anyone got the same...
June 22nd 09 01:53 AM
by juanitahobo Go to last post
0 198
Stuck on the "Please wait for the group policy client" screen during startup by MarsVoltron
Before i get a chance to sign in my computer, my computer displays the please wait for the group policy client message with the spinning circle before the message, looks like the screen you see when your computer is restarted to finish installing updates the screen flashes and the same message appears, and it continues to loop showing the same message. I've just replaced my registry hive files...
June 21st 09 05:44 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 242
windows vista dvd maker no preview pane when burning avi. files by DocHolliday[_2_]
When I try to burn avi. files to a dvd there is no preview pane in the menu selections? -- DocHolliday Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
June 21st 09 12:20 PM
by DocHolliday[_2_] Go to last post
0 189
Vista freezes after idle time by HTML Document
Hi, this happened out of the blue Thursday. When my Vista Home Premium-SP1, is idle for awhile, the computer freezes... the screen is a grayish color and the mouse circle just keeps twirling. I have to manually re-boot. Everything is fine until I leave and come back...and it is frozen again. I cannot ctrl-alt-delete either. When I went to do a system restore, I saw that all my restore...
June 21st 09 10:36 AM
by HTML Document Go to last post
3 204
Vista HP. Cannot install programs by ali_mac
Hi all. I cannot get a program (.exe file I presume) to run on my pc. About a year ago I cliked in a window 'do not show this again' and I think the problem started then. If I download a program, as soon as I run the file from the server (or the d/loaded file from the desktop) a win expl8 window pops up with nothing in it and then endlessly repeats. I have to restart to clear it. Windows is...
June 21st 09 06:05 AM
by ali_mac Go to last post
0 202
Help- wininet.dll error and 'class not registered' by caby367
I have an HP laptop and haven't had problems with vista until I tried to start it this morning. The little green loading bar just ran and ran, then the screen went black. I turned it off, then back on and it did its little program check, then restarted. Finally I was able to log on, only to be greeted with a top of programs all saying 'application couldn't be loaded due to wininet.dll" I googled...
June 21st 09 02:27 AM
by caby367 Go to last post
0 219
Event 5038 by SC Tom
Almost every boot up, I get the following Security event entry: "Log Name: Security Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing Date: 6/20/2009 11:29:30 AM Event ID: 5038 Task Category: System Integrity Level: Information Keywords: Audit Failure User: N/A
June 21st 09 01:58 AM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
3 247
Vista spinning circle of doom by Grimweasel
Hello, I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 and the system is always running slow. Every time I right click anything the spinning circle comes up and I have to wait for about 30 seconds for the sub-menu to open up. Is there an indexing issue causing this? Programmes take ages to open for the first time after switch on almost like vista has to search the whole hard disk to find the issue?? With...
June 20th 09 01:56 PM
by Grimweasel Go to last post
0 199
Slow software installation by Kibbles
I recently built a new PC with Vista and everything is fine. Except, when I install software from the DVD drive, installation takes forever, the drive will stop reading and Vista will occasionally freeze (except for the mouse cursor). I've found if I keep ejecting the disc and re-inserting it, eventually, it'll resume installation for a few seconds. Then it'll die and I'll have to resort to...
June 20th 09 12:12 PM
by sparkin Go to last post

From The