Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Uninstall or Disable Speech Recognition by JohnM
Can someone please tell me how to put vista back the way it was before I clicked on voice recognition? My PC startup is incredibly slow ever since -- the disk spins for about 5 minuites. THANKS!
June 20th 09 09:49 AM
by aamir1985 Go to last post
1 226
sfc /scannow by Anne
Ran sfc /scannow as an administrator. Received the following message when it finished. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log, etc. Copied the CBS.log to my desktop and opened it. It was quite large so I deleted all entries except those made today.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 20th 09 05:42 AM
by Kromag Go to last post
12 411
Cant log in by gageeee
okay. so i can turn on my computer. it turns on normally to my user accounts. when i click on any of the user accounts it starts to log in for just a second, then it says logging off and it takes me back to the user accounts. hope you can help thanks.
June 20th 09 04:06 AM
by gageeee Go to last post
0 269
Why hibernate if not in power settings? by Paul[_32_]
I have told Vista not to go into hibernation at all, in my power settings. In the Sleep option, I have hybrid sleep turned off (for both options), and under Hibernate, I have never for both battery and charging. But after several hours of inactivity, the computer will go into hibernation (the sleep mode is suposed to turn on after 30 mins of inactivity--and it does--normally it goes in and...
June 19th 09 11:42 PM
by Ian D[_3_] Go to last post
3 235
Defrag & System Restore Improvement Suggestions by HMT
As noted by a post from Mike on 4/14/07 and answered by Victoria from Microsoft, defrag in Vista increases used space on the drive. I just discovered the same problem after running defrag c: -r, then defrag c: -w from the command prompt. I lost 3.6GB the first defrag and then lost another 1.75GB the second defrag. After turning System Restore off and on, my free space went from 16% to 41%. I...
June 19th 09 08:56 PM
by HMT Go to last post
0 233
Defrag increases "used space" as reported by command-line defrag - by [email protected]_SPAM
Why does defrag increase the disk's "used space"? This happens with both the GUI version, and the command-line version. The command line flag "-w" results in a greater decrease in used space. I used (command line) defrag c: -a -v to generate a report, ran the GUI defrag, and then reran a report. It seems that the GUI version repeatably increases "used space" by about .7 GB. The "free...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 19th 09 08:34 PM
by HMT Go to last post
15 376
Screen Resolution Problem by Azanaph
ok i have a SR problem: My SR is WAAAAY too low. i can't view the screen resolution changer or scroll down to it, how can i change the SR? -- Azanaph
June 19th 09 08:23 PM
by Ralph[_5_] Go to last post
1 210
Blue Screen problems with Vista....pls help... by Anwar
Hi hope someone can give me some advice.... just recently i purchased a new notebook ( Amilo Li3710 from Fujitsu) operating system is Vista... when i used the the first time the internet it crashed and showed me this error-message: Problem signatu Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
June 19th 09 05:41 PM
by arch Go to last post
3 220
Screen flipped icons to right margin, Vista Home Premium by youngfarm
Suggestions on correcting location of icons and having complete screen. -- youngfarm
June 19th 09 05:33 PM
by SC Tom Go to last post
3 194
White screen during boot up :( by Jedimaster
Hi, I have a Windows Vista 32 bit Operating system. Everytime I turn my computer on, it loads as normal until it gets to the aqua coloured Vista welcome screen. After this the whole screen goes white for about 10 seconds. Then the desktop appears. This started today and I can't really think of any reason why it would happen. Would it perhaps be a virus? Or maybe driver software? Sorry I am no...
June 19th 09 03:53 PM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
1 197
Computer turns off randomly by Jedimaster
Hi, I have a Vista 32 bit computer. This has been going on for quite a while but I havn't really taken note of it until now. At random times, the computer simply switches itself off. It doesnt happen all the time, but enough to be an anoyance. Also, when it switches off, it doesnt just blank out, it takes the liberity of logging itself off first and then shutting down. Might anyone have some...
June 19th 09 12:52 PM
by Jedimaster Go to last post
0 211
Page Fault in Nonpaged Area by jsaye2002
I keep getting this error constantly and its hard even to press F8 to get into the advanced start up options. I've tried running in safe mode and tried going to last know good startup point, but both end up giving me the bsod. Can anyone help? Thanks! -- jsaye2002
June 18th 09 05:01 PM
by jsretro Go to last post
4 331
Spooler SubSystem App has stopped working error message by Paul[_32_]
I keep geting this error message. I have pasted below, the additional details that one of these error messages gave me when I clicked on it: Problem signatu Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: spoolsv.exe Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005 Application Timestamp: 49e02592 Fault Module Name: ZSR.dll Fault Module Version: 6.20.1625.0
June 18th 09 04:56 AM
by Paul[_32_] Go to last post
2 310
Internet Explorer Problem by oNe
Hi, Greetings. Trying to get some help in resolving an issue with my IE and its file associations. Recently my IE refuses to open internet shortcuts, when I click on them i receive an error that there is no file association for the file type and i have to create one. When I do set IE to the default the shortcut opens once then reverts to the previous error. Another problem is that when I set IE...
June 18th 09 03:17 AM
by oNe Go to last post
0 246
Disk space usage by Steve Luttrell
I have Windows Vista Home Premium running on an HP Pavilion laptop computer. I have noticed that my disk space usage doesn't add up, because my total usage always exceeds what I can account for by 20-30GB, even after I have included hidden/system files (or so I believe). However, I recently installed SP2 for Windows Vista Home Premium, and noticed that somehow a large amount of space (around...
June 18th 09 12:46 AM
by Karunakaran Go to last post
5 291
100% CPU Usage by Wyman
Using Process Explorer I determined that one of the following services running in svchost.exe process is causing constant very high CPU usage: Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, and wscsv. I stopped each of the services except for the Eventlog. Eventlog would not stop because other running services depend on it. There was no change to the high CPU usage. Casting caution to the wind I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 16th 09 07:18 AM
by Cozzamara Go to last post
12 448
Help anyone, please? by dmanbass
Have new computer with Windows Ultimate 32 bit installed and I cannot find the media center. The error message says it stopped working and cannot open. Do I need to do a clean install or was the upgrade that I did do what the problem is? I have a feeling I am missing out on a lot in media center and it sure would be nice to use it since it came with the program for $219.99 :-) Thanks all.
June 16th 09 03:39 AM
by dmanbass Go to last post
0 203
ReadyBoost size question by Dana Cline
I have a laptop with 2Gb, Vista Ultimate, and an SD slot I use for ReadyBoost. I currently have a fast 4Gb SD card, but noticed the price on 16Gb SD cards has gone way down. Would there be any benefit to replacing my 4Gb with a 16Gb, given that I only have 2Gb of RAM? Could ReadyBoost make use of it all? Would I notice any difference? Dana Cline
June 16th 09 03:28 AM
by Blackhawk7188 Go to last post
9 242
CBS file " Access denied " after running sfc/scannow by Archquark[_3_]
I ran sfc/scannow in administrator mode and it said it had found some corrupt files that it was unable to fix. I opened the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS directory and it contained 5 files: CBS,CBS.persist,CheckSUR,CheckSUR.persist and Filterlist. I attempted to open CBS but a message says " Access is denied ". The same applied to CBS.persist. I am able to open CheckSUR, CheckSUR.persist and...
June 16th 09 02:55 AM
by Archquark[_3_] Go to last post
7 293
Display resolution screwed or something by barolz
Ok so i jsut got vista installed some games restarted pc and boom my desktop was like zoomed in and even when i changed the resolution it dident help i tried change the display resolution dident work i then tried to see if it was my icons that wer soomed in and nope there not i then tried downloading altes grahics drivers and nothing happend i even tried system resor like 10 time and it...
June 15th 09 08:10 PM
by barolz Go to last post

From The