Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Wallpaper by Ronald Sommers
I'm a tech guy in a school system. We have Vista machines in a lab. Students log on using a student/student login, so no one has their 'own' account. We've locked them out of changing things, but somehow they've been able to make changes to the wallpaper as well as the Word program. The wallpaper is black. When you open up a Word doc the page is black not white. It makes typing difficult with...
June 15th 09 06:04 PM
by Ronald Sommers Go to last post
0 235
" Interactive logon process initialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details. " by karlsteinar92
" Interactive logon process initialization has failed. Please consult the event log for more details. " this always comes up. If i click OK it just comes up again. I have been reading on some websites how to fix this by system restore, but i need some disk i dont have :) HELP!
June 15th 09 05:23 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 767
Programs and Features Hangs by MrTintin
I have Vista Ultimate x64 with build 6002 (beta SP2). When I go to Programs and Features the list won't populate, the progress bar eventually goes off the right of the drop - down symbol and half way across the red X... I recently put SQL2008 on, had to manually install .NET framework 3.5 first; that now shows up in the list but that's all - and the progress bar does the same thing as before....
June 15th 09 03:28 PM
by MrTintin Go to last post
0 231
Blue Screens During Game Patch by Jadagar
Hey. Just recently got my new computer. It runs Windows Vista Basic 64-Bit. 4 GB RAM. Intel Core 2 Quad q8400 @ 2.66 ghz. NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card. I recently install a game onto my computer. Installation was completed smoothly, but without fail, I get a blue screen of death in the middle of a patch download. The info is as follows. BCCode: a BCP1: 0000000000000008
June 15th 09 04:39 AM
by jcgriff2[_3_] Go to last post
5 247
can we disable sync center yet? by drew00629
Ive searched for awhile now, and havent found an answer. According to the MS website, sync center cannot be turned off, and i dont understand why. Im on a quad core with 3gb ddr2, and 80% of the time, sync center will start up for no reason and drain my resources. the other 20% of the time it starts up with WMP. Is there a third party software or registry hack that will allow me to completely...
June 14th 09 08:22 PM
by Tae Song Go to last post
3 270
Logging Users Off via Task Manager by ccnavin72
Hi, I have recently started using Vista Home Prem. on my laptop, and have a question. I am having issues with logging users off via Task Manager. Occasionally my kids will forget to log out of their account. When I try to log them off using Task Manager, I always get the following error: User Boys (SessionID=2) could not be logged off. Access is denied.
June 14th 09 02:14 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 220
Having boot issues by sanctuary6284
I'll go through this as thoroughly as possible. My Kaspersky AV wasn't running properly and I suspected a virus or trojan. I attempted to repair my AV and when that didn't work tried to uninstall and then reinstall. When this failed I figured I would have to do all my fixes in safe mode. I opened msconfig and was disappointed to find that I could not select anything on the boot tab. I restarted...
June 14th 09 12:50 AM
by sanctuary6284 Go to last post
1 250
Incremental Backups: by rq
When you do incremental backups, what happens when you delete a file because you don't want it on your machine and then you do a back up. I assume that file is still within the backupfile and will be reinstalled when and if you do a restore. Is there a simple way of removing files from your backup data so they will not restore. I am particularily thinking of a lot of shareware, 30 trial stuff...
June 13th 09 11:16 PM
by Dave T.[_3_] Go to last post
9 272
Vista running horrendously slow after clean install. by Neodynamics
Ok, so a few days ago, I installed the Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS. Installation went fine, and it ran great, as I thought it should, I have 3 gigs of ram, and a dual core 2.2 GHZ processor. A few days later, it started getting very slow, laggy, and unresponsive. I decided to just do a clean install of the OS. While I was reinstalling, the installation process went very, very slow. It took almost 3...
June 13th 09 10:29 PM
by Piotr Maślanka[_2_] Go to last post
3 219
can't download anything by teenee60[_2_]
I have recently had my pc formatted,vista home premium(32) put back on,now i cant download attatchment,updates etc,it looks like it as done them,but nothing there,if i ask to save or run niether works.i think it has something to do with defender not working correctly.error message=c\program files\windows defender\mpOav.dll is either no designed to run in windows or it contains a error.try...
June 13th 09 04:48 PM
by Luis Armelin Go to last post
2 203
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA + Winload.exe by Noah2315
Alrighty. My computer (Toshiba Satilite, VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32bit...) has crashed recently... It crashed then I restarted it. And it said. "BLAH BLAH BLAH Winload.exe is missing or corrupt". I tried reseting to factory defaults but it didn't work. Soon after that, I changed my BIOS settings and put the cd drive at the top and inserted my Windows Vista Home Premium Installation Disk. After that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 13th 09 01:45 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
10 364
Upgrading VISTA SP1 to SP2 - CAPI2 issue by calabrache
Since the computer installed the SP2 Vista (VU) i'm getting this message Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file. and the ms web site 'Event ID 11 — Automatic Root Certificates Update...
June 12th 09 06:42 PM
by calabrache Go to last post
8 299
Analyze Disk Fragmentation by Benzmum
Hi. I've just moved over from XP to Vista, and I'm wondering why vista doesn't give me the option of Analyzing whether or not my drive needs defragmenting. I'd do the analysis once a month in XP and it almost always told me it was unnecessary. I'd be grateful if an MVP could respond to my question.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 12th 09 09:54 AM
by chuckiepatt Go to last post
26 436
after installing SP2 web icons shrank by gun
after installing SP2 web icons shrank and now I have a white frame around them. The shrunken icons sit now on a square with white background.
June 11th 09 07:00 PM
by gun Go to last post
0 201
recived this error message on startup and on re start by billsy69
C:/PROGRA~1/Google/~3/GOE62~1.DLL is either niot designed to run on windows or it contains an error.ty installing the progam again using the oringal minstallaion media or cntact your system adminstrator or the software vendor for support. I have not install anything don't know what i have done, please help. --
June 11th 09 01:45 PM
by SC Tom Go to last post
3 214
Display won't turn off by John Thomson
For years I have had my display turn off after 10 mins. Now it doesn't. No matter what setting I use it won't turn off. The only time it will do it is after a reboot when if I leave my desktop, the monitor will turn off after 10 mins. When it comes back on though it won't go back to off after 10 mins of no activity. I am at a loss as to why this has stopped working & I can't fix it. Any...
June 11th 09 05:39 AM
by John Thomson Go to last post
2 212
This is probably something simple. by havok92
I recently installed something that is slowing down my pc, and when I go to "system restore" a error message pop's up and say the following: "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on System Restore, contact your domain administrator." -- havok92 Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
June 11th 09 12:41 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 241
vista home basic defragmenting by bbqbrisket
I posted a question regarding my c drive running on 50% fragmentation. After running the in house program and several alternative programs like defraggler and auslogics ( I'm not going to pay for one of these ) the drive sill is 50% fragmented. I have had several folks kind enough to post their own comments about how to defrag, what is the best program for defrag and many other pieces of input...
June 10th 09 01:22 PM
by bbqbrisket Go to last post
2 222
BSOD help please by boomersooner87
Hi, i came across this forum looking for some sort of help. I'm getting the BSOD when i play games like crysis or WoW. I was wondering if anyone could please give me any ideas on what the problem is because its driving me insane. I get it at least once a day its random when i get it. Heres the info i get when it happens. Problem signatu Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 10th 09 12:57 PM
by Mark H[_2_] Go to last post
15 396
Installing Vista SP2 by TVeblen
My daughter asked me to help her with this update on her Presario laptop, which came pre-loaded with V-SP1. When XP-SP2 came out it was very important to do a bit of prep before installing the service pack: cleaning the system, turning off AV and running progs, etc. Doing so always insured an incident free process and it worked dozens of times for me. Is there a preparation protocol for...
June 10th 09 05:01 AM
by Dave Warren Go to last post

From The