Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sleep causes BSOD by Gav
When ever I try and sleep Vista it cause BSOD, I have reverted to XP SP2 and no problems with sleep or hibenate. I have logged a bug, and this has happened with all builds I have used from Beta 2 to 5728... I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 Socket T (LGA775) Motherboard (Intel P965 chipset) with CORE 2 duo, ATI X1600 PCIe card, Hauppage 500MCE card, 2gb DDR2 800, 500GB SATA2 (AHCI native mode),...
September 27th 06 02:53 AM
by Gav Go to last post
0 406
can`t open taskmanager!!! something is eating my permormance!! by Ronny
please help me! I can`t open taskmgr for some reason. the vista claims I don`t have admin rights. and I do! I have found it by search but it won`t let me run it. I HAVE TO OPEN TASKMGR or else I will have to reboot my computer evey time something hangs. I have vista rc1 5600 PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME. -- LazyGamer
September 27th 06 03:56 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
1 438
CPU overload by WorcsMarkH
System 2GHz P4 1GB RAM ATA133 HDD Geforce fx6200 256MB I was playing an MP3 (320Kbs) in media player, whilst viewing some photos (5MB JPEG) and every time I moved to the next photo the MP3 stuttered quite badly. Sometimes the photos would initially blur for a couple of seconds before they had been fully processed. Playing uncompressed AVI files in media player also gives a very jerky picture....
September 27th 06 07:25 PM
by WorcsMarkH Go to last post
4 451
nvidia drivers by EdricFilho
Hi I know about flight simulations. I have a Pentium D 930 3GHz, 2GD SDRAM DDR2 and a GeForce 7800 GT PCIe, I guess pretty much on a par with your system, and IL2 Forgotten Battles and Lock On are working under Vista RC1 64-bit exactly like, if not a little better, under Win XP. I use nVidia Control Panel to adjust 3D Config to "Quality" on "Using my preferences", and that's it. Same with...
September 28th 06 04:55 AM
by Ro Go to last post
2 463
Random freezes, where can I get the list “why and what driver did it” by localhost
So, I am using the post RC1 build, it looks and works beautiful, I just love the new Vista, but unfortunately, it randomly freezes. I think it is ok for a beta OS, I have also installed tons of unsupported software and drivers, but my question is, where can I get a list of which driver takes the system down? I want to disable the code or the service that is randomly freezing my machine, but...
September 28th 06 01:14 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
1 475
Windows Experience Index crashing out by WorcsMarkH
P4, 1GB RAM, ATA133, Geforce 6200 256MB, Onboard sound AL97 I am told new h/w has been added and to calculate a new Windows experience index. Fair enough. I do it. Aero Assessment OK. Direct 3D Alpha Blend OK. Texture Load OK. ALU assessment OK. Then Media Playback. After 30s or so blank screen - no signal detected. Disk light still blinks. 5 minutes later, reboot. Any ideas?
September 28th 06 06:49 PM
by WorcsMarkH Go to last post
0 465
programs by djps55
when i go into uninstall programs,it lists 25 unspecified programs,i don't know what they are and the will not uninstall.what is generic parser,sometimes before a web page opens,a page called generic parser opens first.
September 29th 06 01:42 AM
by djps55 Go to last post
0 475
Restore from Windows Backup not working (RC1) by Warwick Webb
Hello, I installed RC1, made a backup of my files (Backup & Restore - Backup Files). I later had to reinstall RC1 because of some driver issues. I then went to restore some individual files from the backup (by clicking on 'Advanced Restore'). However, I am having the following problems: 1) If I choose "Files from the latest backup made on this computer" I
September 29th 06 10:42 AM
by cyanna Go to last post
1 498
PC-cillin interfers with other programs just after startup. by Spirefm
PC-cillin's antivirus program seems to hog the computer for the first 90 seconds or so after startup. It is so bad that one cannot even get Task Manager to run until PC-cillin has reduced its load. A couple of other programs fail because they cannot start in a reasonable time. Has anyone else suffered this annoyance too? Colin
September 29th 06 10:58 AM
by pippin Go to last post
4 488
recycle bin by thekim
when i empty recycle bin -one file is left behind-a different file each time-could be a document or music -anything-..and if i try to delete it,a window comes up saying.......are you sure you want to delete WINDOWS. ANY IDEAS PLEASE -- kim
September 29th 06 04:28 PM
by Dean-Dean Go to last post
1 496
registry cleanup after Difficult Trend Micro PC-cillin uninstall by Spirefm
I tried to uninstall PC-cillin using the Programs and Features Uninstall button in the Control Panel and got the message "This is only for programs that are installed" which was silly since it was installed. I couldn't delete the program folders because I got the famous "You need Administrator permission to do this" message even though I am and Administrator. I went into safe mode and...
September 29th 06 04:35 PM
by pippin Go to last post
3 448
removing Vista media center to improve preformance by shall
I was looking for a way to remove media center from vista so that I can reduce the amount of space vista takes as well as get rid of unneeded applications running in the back ground. We have many different machines where I work and although a good majority are newer we have some older machines that will still need to run vista when we decide to switch to it. I have improved the performance...
September 29th 06 09:12 PM
by AJR Go to last post
4 472
any way to uninstall Vista Media Center? by shall
I was looking for a way to remove media center from vista so that I can reduce the amount of space vista takes as well as get rid of unneeded applications running in the back ground. We have many different machines where I work and although a good majority are newer we have some older machines that will still need to run vista when we decide to switch to it. I have improved the performance...
September 29th 06 09:19 PM
by Go to last post
4 492
hardware acceleration by mik
hi, is hardware acceleration for media player not enabled with nvidia cards? no problem playing any games but dvd playback is awful, nowhere near as good as xp
September 29th 06 10:23 PM
by mik Go to last post
0 447
hardware acceleration by mik
hi, is hardware acceleration not availible in media player? games are ok but dvd playback especially hd .ts files are choppy, thanks, mik
September 29th 06 10:26 PM
by mik Go to last post
0 457
Vista freeze ! by Madmoi23
Hello, I have a problem, everytimes i try to watch video (or open Media Center, or run many applications), my computer freeze up during 10 at 120 seconds and return to normal during 1 second and continue like that. It stop only when video is finish or when i reboot. But my computer meets the basic requirements : Processor : 2,8 GHz VRAM : 256 MB (NVIDIA GeForce 5500 FX)
September 29th 06 11:22 PM
by Madmoi23 Go to last post
0 440
New--PerfectDisk 8 Beta for Vista RC1!!!! by k_fonda
Hi everyone--I just received an email today and downloaded the new PerfectDisk 8 Beta for Vista RC1. Here's the link: http://www.raxco.com/ Just look on the right hand side for the Bets for Vista and follow the link. Just wanted evryone to know.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 30th 06 12:25 AM
by gerald Go to last post
13 678
Windows Vista Performance by Rajesh
Hello Knowledgebank, I have bought a new pc and i am trying the Windows VISTA on my machine. My machine is AMD Athelon 3500+ 64bit and 1GB RAM. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to login to windows. Is this an expected behaviour or is something wrong ? Thanks Rajesh.R
September 30th 06 04:08 PM
by JJ Go to last post
5 503
Disable Hard Drive Check by EdC
I am getting a Vista detects a hard drive dialog box - with recommendatio to backup the drive - every time the disk is accessed. I have done dick check and found no error, bad sectors, etc. The device manager reports that the drive is operating normally - is there any way to disable the warnings??? Thanks in advance
September 30th 06 05:07 PM
by EdC Go to last post
0 410
vista 64-bit by art
You mean Vista 64 bit? Yes. Provided that your hardware and software applications are optimized for 64 bit processing. Otherwise, not much difference. Also, Vista 64 is very picky as far as what softwares and drivers you want to install in it. If there are known issues with a particular software or driver and Vista knows about it, it won't let you install it. Try it anyway. "Ryan" wrote: ...
September 30th 06 08:18 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post

From The