Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Stopped Services making laptop unusable by George
Hello, I accidentally turned by computer off during a Vista update (when it says Do NOT turn your computer off). Now, only about half the services start, Explorer won't run, Live One Care won't start (I get a window saying it cannot start) and I can't open Control Panel . I tried a System Restore but the same problems persist. At this point I just want to get all my data off and reinstall...
December 19th 08 08:38 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
3 229
Vista won't connect internet though router by cvan
Hello everyone. I just got my new pc for 2 days, and I cannot connect to the internet using my router, but it can get on the net if it is connected directly to the modem. I know there's nothing wrong with the connection and router because my old pc (5 yrs old window XP) and laptop both use the same router and have no problem at all. While the old one is connecting to the web, the new one...
December 19th 08 02:33 AM
by breitak67 Go to last post
9 263
Menu bar freezes by Coquidragon
Every time I log in, after a few seconds, this globe-like icon appears on my clock bar, and the bar freezes, including the menu. I can´t open anything, I can´t even change between opened software. The only thing that works is whatever program I´m running, which I can continue to use with no problem, but once I´m done, I have to signout the user to be able to turn it off. I press ctrl+alt+del, and...
December 18th 08 08:34 PM
by Coquidragon Go to last post
0 280
How to turn off auto-restart after a windows update and how to cross post in vista mail? by Pete[_10_]
HI: Not to put the cart before the horse, but I want to cross post this plea for help to several news groups. I could not figure out how to do this task that was simple in OLE in Vista mail. If anyone knows please tell me in your reply. The problem is that I run many long calculations, maybe even a week on a Vista 64 box. I have already disabled windoze updates, but occasionally I...
December 18th 08 05:05 PM
by Robert[_22_] Go to last post
1 261
unknown window that can't close by Gail C
I get a window on the display with no indication of where or what program started it. the page simply says "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled" on a banner. Further down it says "What you can try; -refresh the page". Cliking this only produces a similar page (also with no close options) telling me to check my internet OR the website is encountering problems OR to check my typed...
December 18th 08 05:01 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
6 291
Monitor won't sleep after INITIAL only time lapse by captfbgnet
All worked well until I upgraded to the 9500GT 512 mb Nvidia card and latest nvida drivers. No problems with card or software install (other than a quick message about hibernation not working or something similar). All power option checked and rechecked and also advanced power settings checked and rechecked. Have re-installed monitor and updated Nvidia software since initial install and also...
December 18th 08 11:38 AM
by captfbgnet Go to last post
4 305
ÈFÈUÈbÈqÈZ ÈUÈeÈeÈZÈhÈ^ÈhÈcÈqÈZ ÈYÈqÈfÈdÈmÈ`È^ by ÈEÈdÈXÈcÈZÈYÈU
Ç÷ÈWÈUÈYÈlÈUÈhÈr ÈbÈ^ÈcÈiÈh ÈmÈ^ÈgÈhÈdÈXÈd ÈiÈYÈdÈWÈdÈaÈrÈgÈhÈWÈ^Èu http://sanderswynx.chat.ru
December 18th 08 12:40 AM
by ÈEÈdÈXÈcÈZÈYÈU Go to last post
0 260
Morro? by goorambatman
Ok OneCare is being replaced by Morro which is free. This makes me ask two questions... 1. Will it be bundled with Windows 7? 2. Will it replace Windows Defender? IMO it should, it should be a small basic program like Defender but cover more threats... Does any one else know much more about it?
December 17th 08 11:13 AM
by Walt Thatcher Go to last post
1 376
Computer wont boot by etikit
I left my laptop open for a few minutes, turned my back, and my two year old had it shutting down. I tried to reboot, and it just brings up the blue Vista screen with the moving line that shows its trying to start, but it never does. I have options of F2 and F12 just before it starts, but dont know if they will help with anything. It is a Dell Inspiron 1610 Laptop, with Vista Home Premium, and...
December 17th 08 09:41 AM
by Cody Jarrett Go to last post
3 272
games crashing at launch by stvwhite
I just recently started having problems with my games that have been working previously, where they all (except for a few microsoft built-in games such as Hearts or Solitaire) seem to be crashing to desktop after trying to initialize graphics. The behavior is once I launch the game, the screen goes dark, and then the program exits back to the desktop. I recently upgrade my video card...
December 17th 08 01:05 AM
by stvwhite Go to last post
4 253
Folder settings by Hugh Jeego
I like to set some folders I use, often, to different views to normal but no matter what I do, they revert to what THEY want after reboot or in some cases, after I close the folder then open it again. Does anyone know a simple way to fix this so I can retain the view settings that *I* want, please? Thanks.
December 16th 08 07:32 PM
by Hugh Jeego Go to last post
4 249
Windows Movie Maker won't import by Majusiak
I've been using Movie Maker for quite a while to edit my recorded video files. I've never had trouble before, but today I went to import a file and i get an error message reading ".avi could not be imported. Unspecified error" I have codec packs installed, and besides, I've imported countless avi's before. Any guess as to what my problem could be?
December 16th 08 06:01 AM
by Majusiak Go to last post
0 212
File DVD Loading Very Slow by Stewart Berman
Vista Ultimate SP1 with all recommended updates. Occasionally, Explorer seems to go into a loop when I load a DL DVD and start drilling down into the directory structure. It looks like it is trying to scan the entire DVD. Is this a known problem and is there a patch or workaround for it?
December 15th 08 11:11 PM
by MilesAhead[_4_] Go to last post
1 238
Vista Home Premium x64 serious issue by Yandr
Sorry guys, i am still kind of new to vista and am having a very unfortunate problem at the moment. I have a pretty good knowledge of xp and computers in general but have never encountered this type of problem before and have no idea how to go about solving it. Hopefully someone can help me :) Anyway, every time i go to shutdown my pc it instead restarts. I usually keep my pc on most of the time...
December 15th 08 10:07 PM
by Yandr Go to last post
1 214
I installed 2Gb RAM on my PC and Windows shows less than half? by monster4007
So I got 2 new 1 Gig PNY sticks of RAM, and installed them and now my comp won't show but 894 Mb of it. And to top it off I have to use more virtual memory until i can figure this out. Someone help me out please.
December 15th 08 09:30 PM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
8 261
Control Panel - Users; doesn't open by Steve Mencik
If I go to my Control Panel to try to manage users and double click the users icon, it appears to do something, as evidenced by a brief hourglass, but no User control ever opens. I f I right-click and select Open, it has the same behavior. Any ideas on how to restore this control panel tool, so I can manage user accounts?
December 15th 08 05:44 PM
by Steve Mencik Go to last post
0 204
Yet another problem with black screen at vista startup by Floyd
Along with countless others I'm getting a black screen (with cursor) at vista startup. On my computer, however, after several minutes the black screen goes away and I get to my desktop which is totally functional. I've read countless posts about this problem without finding one explanation or one solution. I just the day before this problem started downloaded a bunch of updates, which...
December 15th 08 08:11 AM
by Walt Thatcher Go to last post
1 219
Plz help!!!! by King Toobz
I recently downloaded CCcleaner in order to get rid of a nasty ad trojan that had infected my system. I guess auslogics registry cleaner was installed also. When I shut down my comp, the registry cleaner became active but it seemed like a windows maintenance program. When it started again, the registry cleaner window said it improved performance by 6% but now all the cool visual features of...
December 15th 08 01:51 AM
by Jim Moriarty Go to last post
2 249
MMC hangs at disk management by Dave T.[_2_]
Please give me pointers to solve this problem... Vista Home Premium 32 bit 3 gigs ram. Dual core Athlon 3800+ I did a scan in safe mode with Win Defender and Ad Aware - nothing found. Scanned with Avast - all clear. Performed a complete Chkdisk - all OK. SFC Scannow found no integrity violations.
December 14th 08 07:30 PM
by JerryM Go to last post
6 222
readyboost drives and performance for other files on the drive by Heath P. Dillon
Hi, My understanding is that a readyboost drive is a drive that windows dumps data to as its faster than dumping data to a hard disk.... If that is true, would I also get better performance to install apps onto the readyboost drive such as Flight sim X?? What about the swap file that currently windows puts onto my C:\, would I be better to move the swap file to the ready boost drive?
December 14th 08 12:19 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post

From The