Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Windows folder size by slvrvlt
I notice i was less disk space on my C drive, I was looking to what was taking up so much space and i notice my Windows folder taking up 20gb of space. Is this normal? Is there a way to get some of that space back? Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums
December 14th 08 09:44 AM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
1 238
VoIP sound problem by David Venables
Hi, I have just installed a Butler 4012 VoIP telephone to run with SKYPE but am unable to receive any sound through it. The phone seems to be connected to the SKYPE program properly as I can dial out with it, I just can't hear anything with it. I did play about with the sound devices and got to the stage where I could fully use the phone, but I then couldn't hear any of the usual sounds the...
December 13th 08 04:29 PM
by David Venables Go to last post
0 236
Windows RE by usasma
Does anyone have an explanation for the Problem Signatures in Startup Repair? Example: Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2 Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.1800 Problem Signature 03: 6 Problem Signature 04: 983055 Problem Signature 05: 0xf4 Problem Signature 06: 0xf4
December 13th 08 01:14 PM
by usasma Go to last post
0 249
Windows Vista Home Premium by Steve St Denis
I'm running, OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Home Premium Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
December 13th 08 11:42 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
3 241
Scan Disk Headache by Bre
*-When I try to do a scan disk cleanup, I keep getting Disk Space Cleanup manager for windows has stopped working, I have windows vista home edition, why am I getting this message and what do I need to do to do a scan disk cleanup?-* -- Bre Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
December 13th 08 10:30 AM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
1 221
Excessive load/boot time by Guido
I have four different copmuters, all running a DG965OT intel procesor with a Core2 chip. Two have Vista HP and two have Ultimate. All four are having the same problem. When I turn the computer on there is a 30 second lag between when the Bios spash screen show to when the first boot device is attempted(in this case it is the CD drive). There is then a 4 to 5 min pause before the vista...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 12th 08 03:48 PM
by chetahelup Go to last post
13 380
What does "Adaptive display" power setting do? by Colin
I have found lots of references to the fact that "Adaptive display" lets windows dynically adjust the timeout to turn off the display if a user quickly touches a key or button to get the screen back on just after timeout. However, that is all quite vague. I have seen others post related questions on various web sites and never get an answer. Can anyone explain for all of us: 1. Are these...
December 12th 08 04:03 AM
by Jazz Inc Go to last post
1 206
Vista 64 Bit Ultimate issue by Tim_Ver
I have had Vista 64 Uultimate installed now for over 6 months and all was great loaded really fast on boot up and also Programs loaded fast. Now in the last 3 weeks it has gotten slower. What can I do / check to put it back to how it was? Thanks
December 11th 08 08:39 PM
by C.Skaggs Go to last post
9 243
Vista not displaying Windows Experience Index by Darkeforce
I just installed a new Video card (EVGA GeForce 9500 GT (1Gb DDR2), and I wanted to see how that affected my Windows Experience Index, but when I open the tool for that from Control Panel - Performance Information and Tools, the window's main frame is mostly empty. All I get is "Rate and Improve your computer's performance", with "Not sure how to start?" below, and "Learn how to improve...
December 11th 08 12:15 PM
by Sonny Wortzik Go to last post
9 287
Hard disk running constantly by Abi
I have Vista Business installed and have changed various things to have Vista start and close quicker. It takes approx. 2½ minutes from I start my machine until Vista is fully loaded. But after that the hard drive is running constantly, which means it takes a long time to execute e.g. Excel. Can someone tell me what I can do about that?
December 10th 08 12:46 PM
by Sonny Wortzik Go to last post
6 219
Screensaver does not start by opheyward
I don't search and search all over but still can not find any help, I hope someone can help me. I don't have any wireless devices plug into my usb. My screensaver did work but one day it just stop. I have install all my updates and still can not find why it won't work. HELP -- opheyward ------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 10th 08 02:20 AM
by opheyward Go to last post
0 226
Delete slow by karl mcgruber
When I right click a file to delete, it takes 20 seconds for the box to open to where I can delete the file. How can this be sped up. Vista home basic.
December 10th 08 01:25 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 229
system backup on external hard drive by housemaster49
I have a 160 gb western digital external hard drive with a backup of about 55 GB of the same OS that i am running now (ultimate x64). but when i go to the backup and restore center, it does not detect the backup that is on the hard drive. -- housemaster49
December 10th 08 01:19 AM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post
1 274
Vista Backup problem: Looking for backup devices by Vladimir Petrov
Hello there, I've created a Windows Complete PC Backup of my new laptop. Now a few days later I want to actualize it, but when click on Back up computer in Backup and Restore Center a window opens with message - Looking for backup devices and it stays like that, nothing happens. I can cancel it but I want to create a backup. What should I do? Is there a solution? Thanks in advance!
December 10th 08 01:17 AM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post
2 252
Windows Vista Backup Aborting by Blue Max
Windows Vista Backup is aborting with an error that a shadow backup copy cannot be made due to a lack of space. The error dialog is included here as an attachment. We have posed this question before, but continue to experience the problem despite some prior recommendations that have not resolved the issue. Please note the following: 1. We have used 'Disk Cleanup' to remove all but the...
December 10th 08 01:15 AM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post
1 213
Windows update/system restore points by rawbery79
I installed a Windows update on Monday--the laptop was running beautifully before then, not so much now. It randomly freezes up and I can't apparently uninstall the update. Also, it's not creating or keeping restore points. I just found out a registry cleaner is bad, so I won't be doing that again, but how on earth do I figure out what is causing the problem? :cry: --
December 10th 08 01:14 AM
by Christine [MSFT] Go to last post
4 227
Vista hang at boot by dawnthief
Hi, I recently built myself a PC and installed Vista on it. Everything worked fine. Then i ended up doing a full re-format and re-install. Ever since then Vista has been hanging at boot. Before the loading bar would come and go and then the vista symbol would pop up make the boot noise and i could log in, this all took under 30 seconds. Now it hangs on a black screen after the loading bar, my...
December 9th 08 04:53 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
1 222
Desktop blocking direction by Tim Walters
When I do a block on bthe desktop, it selects horizontally. How can I change it to doing it vertically? Thanks
December 9th 08 02:29 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
2 223
Acer Aspire 8920G doesn't shut down by Wilson Santos
I bought an Aspire 8920G recently and installed a full box Windows Vista Ultimate. I downloaded all drivers from Acer website and my computer is running more than perfectly. The only problem I have is that my computer does not shut down, it restarts! I have configured all commands and power button to shut down, there are no visible conflicts, all devices are working properly. However, there...
December 9th 08 10:51 AM
by Steve Pearce Go to last post
1 194
Restoring Colours to Programs by hbeedee
G'day All I have a Lenovo Laptop with Vista. I have turned the Vista auto updates off. I have two questions First The other day I noticed that when I highlighted something so I could copy/save/move it, instead of it highlighting in blue as it has always done, it now highlights in red. And with black text, it is almost impossible to read (with my eyesight anyway). How do I change the...
December 9th 08 06:42 AM
by The Max[_2_] Go to last post

From The