Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Quality Notebook......... by Drew Leyda
Can anyone recommend a good all around, quality notebook ? 15 inch screen, on site repair, Vista Home Premium or better. TIA Drew
November 24th 08 07:55 PM
by anna Go to last post
2 279
Event ID 10- Event Filter Query Functionality by 2Lauraroberts
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this annoying issue. My computer randomly shuts off without warning and the problem is not due to overheating. Using the event viewer, I've noticed that the random shut-off is always preceded by event ID 10 (see detailed info about what this means he http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727148.aspx). I have tried the fix...
November 24th 08 06:22 AM
by 2Lauraroberts Go to last post
1 314
lock memory pages by yzffer
Since there is no group policy editor in vista prem x64, how can I lock memory pages by the regedit? Tanks!! -- yzffer
November 24th 08 03:11 AM
by yzffer Go to last post
0 254
Problem updating BIOS by dennishoogkamer
I'm trying to update the bios of my dell dimension e521, AMDx2 5600+, 2GB with a genuine Dell update, but Vista keeps telling me to log in as a administrator.... My rights in Vista are set as an Administrator, so I don't see why I can't update my Bios... Please help! Thnx!
November 23rd 08 03:57 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
8 255
Delay with check disk dialog by ofn01
When I try to use the check disk dialog (right clicking a drive/properties/tools/error checking) the UAC dialog comes up - to which I click OK, but the CHeck Disk box itself (the one with the two checkboxes) hangs for about 10-20 seconds & won't register mouse clicks to buttons or the checkboxes? It does not say (not responding) in the titlebar - simply hangs. Any idea what causes this?
November 23rd 08 07:44 AM
by ofn01 Go to last post
0 221
Few internet sites are running extremely slower by cccg80
I need some help. I have a few websites that are ridiculously slow and it isn't their sites that are having a problem and it isn't my internet connection. The main two sites are shopnbc.com and disney.com. I don't really know much about computers so. But I can tell you that these sites were working just fine for the longest time and I have no idea what could of changed. I've deleted all my...
November 23rd 08 02:23 AM
by cccg80 Go to last post
0 272
wmiprvse.exe problem in Vista Business by Kent
Okay, I have Windows Vista Business edition, and a couple weeks ago, I've been having a problem with this process (WmiPrvSE.EXE - which I know is a core process for Windows, and is not recommended that I disable it) taking up a rather large portion of my CPU. It usually hovers around 25% usage, which is quite a significant hit to performance on my system (nothing fancy here), especially...
November 22nd 08 04:00 PM
by MilesAhead[_4_] Go to last post
4 234
Screen Saver will not come on by kborgsmiller
I cannot get my screen saver to work. I have read everything about using a wireless keyboard and mouse, which I do not use. I am not very good with computers, so any simple solutions for me to try?
November 22nd 08 02:51 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 215
Administrator tool for Win32 has stopped working by Juan Herrero
I get this message every time I boot up. I haven't noticed anything not working (apart from the usual dose of funnies). Any idea what it is about and how I can correct it or lose it? Thanks.
November 22nd 08 02:28 PM
by Ilmenauer Go to last post
3 242
update downloads by F.Hagan
Hi I have just a dial up line running Vista home basic as I am a light user. After a months holiday I find I am in receipt of update downloads waiting for over 100 Mb!! I can't afford to stay on the line that long,same as these free anti-virus programmesetc with 140mb downloads. Living in the countryside I cannot get Broadband yet.Don't think there is a solution but thought I'd ask.Cheers if...
November 22nd 08 01:58 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 282
ReadyBoost new problem by Atacayte
Hi I bought a new Pen ReadyBoost compatible, and when I connect it to my Laptop, Ready Boost tells me that already exist a cache device and cannot use my new Pen to such a purpouse... well, I donĀ“t remember to have activated RB with any other device never before because I haven`t any compatible, but in fact I can't disable neither enable RB to use it now... what can I do?, is there a way to...
November 22nd 08 06:03 AM
by Atacayte Go to last post
0 202
This is a bit of a showstopper by Steve Thackery[_2_]
The link talks about Shadow Copies, not Restore Points. Nice one, DrTeeth. But the Vista Restore Point functionality uses Shadow Copy, doesn't it? Unlike XP and earlier. SteveT
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 21st 08 10:12 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
10 350
Installers freeze when creating system restore point by gdwtch
I have an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop running Vista Home Premium and I'm having problems installing any new software (even things as simple as WinZip); the installations always freeze near the end and never complete. I posted this question in another forum, and someone suggested a problem with System Restore, since the installers generally try to create a restore point. I turned on logging and...
November 21st 08 05:20 PM
by Stephen Go to last post
3 241
Do I have to do a complete new install? (new mobo) by Kris[_5_]
Present mobo has P35 ICH9R New mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P has P45 ICH10R I had been assuming that I would have to do a full new install, but it just occurred to me to ask if I could get away with a Repair, and would it ask me for the floppy disk with the new drivers as the full install does? (I do/will not use RAID) tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 21st 08 03:47 PM
by Kris[_5_] Go to last post
5 202
I'm not even sure what the problem is! by rawbery79
Yesterday morning I brought my laptop into work like I always do, used it for the four hours I was here, no problem. Ran errands for a good portion of the day with my laptop in the car, about five hours, then got home and opened the lid and it started up with a notice telling me there was an error on C: and I needed to do a chkdsk. Okay fine, I back up my files to my external hard drive (by...
November 21st 08 02:48 PM
by rawbery79 Go to last post
3 211
Vista's boot time suddenly slow by aerozolic
Hello, my Vista booted with scrolling the green thingy about 7 times. Yesterday, all of a sudden, it started to boot with scrolling it about 20-25 times. I tried to turn off some programs to load with Windows (Steam, Adobe and iTunes). Also turned some services off/put to Manual (like Printer Spooler, iTunes Helper and so on), but that didn't help. When I installed Windows I found out that...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 21st 08 07:58 AM
by Kayman[_5_] Go to last post
13 375
Cannot get sleep mode or display function to work by Rick
I cannot seem to get the sleep mode or hibernate mode to work at all. Additionally, and more frustating and important to me, is I cannot get the display to reactivate and go back on once it has gone off by simply moving the mouse. I have to push the 'ON' button on my display to activate it, and unfortunately this button is beginning to stick, and I don't want another problem to arise if...
November 21st 08 03:14 AM
by Brink Go to last post
5 228
Vista Won't Idle by Eric Sambell
About a week ago it looks like Windows hasn't been idling. The search indexer will only run at full speed, and scheduled tasks that are set to run only when idle won't run, even though they are set to run in the middle of the night when I haven't touched the computer for hours. Any items that have been received into Outlook don't get indexed and the list of items to be indexed keeps getting...
November 21st 08 02:12 AM
by MilesAhead[_4_] Go to last post
1 194
This is a bit of a showstopper by Steve Thackery[_2_]
I've just read the article, and apparently it doesn't apply to Vista, only to the various versions of Server 2003. Looks like we're OK, then. Still a remarkable bug, though. SteveT
November 20th 08 10:45 PM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
0 186
new to this.. by angel3
Hello..I have noticed some unusual changes to my computer to which I have had no choice lately, so I went to my system restore and it would not restore my files..I picked a few restore points and no luck..My google toolbar is gone, my home page changed to MSN page. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on? -- angel3
November 20th 08 09:07 PM
by silver hair Go to last post

From The