Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Email From Microsoft? by JamesJ[_4_]
I received an email claiming to be from Microsoft Awards Center saying that I won $2m. There IS an attachment which I WILL NOT open. Would it do any good to report this to someone and/or send it to an abuse center?? This email was filtered and placed in my Junk email folder by Windows Live Mail. Thanks, James
January 22nd 10 01:42 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
0 222
Can not reset admin password under safe mode due to password policy? by john
Hi, all. I'll have to log into the default administrator account, because I can not do anything under the current standard user account status. I went to the safe mode, and tried to log into the admin account, but the password is forgotten. I built the reset password USB disk under the account before. Now I follow the instructions for resetting the password. However, the window popped up,...
January 22nd 10 04:17 AM
by john Go to last post
0 256
DEFENDER turned OFF by WILDTOPIARY
Defender is turned off and notice says that it can only be turned back on via "GROUP POLICY". How do I do this? Information on group policy seems very complicated and I'm hoping there is an easy solution to turning Defender back on. Help!!! I am running Vista -- WILDTOPIARY
January 20th 10 06:56 AM
by WILDTOPIARY Go to last post
0 220
is it possible to share the printer only? by [email protected]
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing only? by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing. The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a...
January 19th 10 11:43 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
6 247
should I set DEP to always on? by james
DEP (data execution protection) should make the computer immune to all buffer overflow attacks, right? Has anyone set DEP to always on for all processes (vista 32-bit)? Are there alot of crashes or even corrupt files?
January 19th 10 10:15 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 307
Personal Administrator Account not acting like Administrator Account by Richard B
Something has happened to my personal Administrator account that makes believe I have lost permissions on a number of areas throughout the Windows system. For example: an attempt to cleanup the registry using certain program is denying my account access to do certain cleaning tasks that need to be completed. I can run program under the Vista Administrator account, but why is my personal...
January 19th 10 10:09 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
6 343
should I set DEP to always on? by james
DEP (data execution protection) should make the computer immune to all buffer overflow attacks, right? Has anyone set DEP to always on for all processes (vista 32-bit)? Are there alot of crashes or even corrupt files?
January 19th 10 07:30 PM
by james Go to last post
0 215
ERROR Code...Titled: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog by LabRat116[_2_]
Window Titled... *Login process has failed to create the security options dialog *with a RED "X" inside with a dialog message of: *Failure - Security Options* -- LabRat116
January 19th 10 05:47 PM
by LabRat116[_2_] Go to last post
0 246
ERROR Code...Titled: Login process has failed to create the security options dialog by LabRat116[_2_]
Window Titled... *Login process has failed to create the security options dialog *with a RED "X" inside with a dialog message of: *Failure - Security Options* -- LabRat116
January 19th 10 05:47 PM
by LabRat116[_2_] Go to last post
0 277
Security Issue? with Windows Audio Endpoint Builder by Nobias[_2_]
*Security Issue? with Windows Audio Endpoint Builder* Hello. I was tracking down why my *svhost.exe* (used for internet & network Connections) was being used to access a whole bunch of Picture files in one of my folders. Files that were not being used by any other program or service at the time (not even the File Manager). It was running...
January 19th 10 01:59 PM
by tmattnv Go to last post
5 374
Event Error Question by JamesJ[_4_]
Vista Basic 32bit sp2 I found the following error in Event Viewer 'Administrative Events': The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: TfFsMon TfSysMon The source is:
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 19th 10 07:57 AM
by Hank Arnold Go to last post
14 536
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\Font\PFM -- unable to display current owner by Frank Puck
Adobe installer failed because he cannot access this directory. I looked at it with explorer and it tells me, that it cannot display the current owner. I used AccessEnum to display ACL of the entire disk and there are a lot of directories below C:\$recycle.bin for which permissions cannot be listed. Anybody know how this could happen?
January 18th 10 10:27 PM
by Frank Puck Go to last post
0 215
Personal Administrator Account not acting like Administrator Account by Richard B
Something has happened to my personal Administrator account that makes believe I have lost permissions on a number of areas throughout the Windows system. For example: an attempt to cleanup the registry using certain program is denying my account access to do certain cleaning tasks that need to be completed. I can run program under the Vista Administrator account, but why is my personal...
January 17th 10 10:34 PM
by Richard B Go to last post
0 193
Adminstrator Rights by GregNga
When I go to Control Panel | User Accounts, I see my user account there and underneath it, it says 'Administrator' and 'Password Protected'. However, I regularly get dialogue boxes that pop up and say "Windows needs permission to.....". Today, I tried to save an aspx file to \Inetpub\wwwroot and it stopped me saying I don't have permission to save to this location and to contact an...
January 16th 10 07:29 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
2 326
Adminstrator Rights by GregNga
When I go to Control Panel | User Accounts, I see my user account there and underneath it, it says 'Administrator' and 'Password Protected'. However, I regularly get dialogue boxes that pop up and say "Windows needs permission to.....". Today, I tried to save an aspx file to \Inetpub\wwwroot and it stopped me saying I don't have permission to save to this location and to contact an...
January 16th 10 06:34 PM
by GregNga Go to last post
0 225
Security Center is off and won't be started by Amir Pasha
My Security Center alerts are always reminding to Turn it on. When I try to Turn it on, it says "The Security Center Service can't e Started", when I run Services, and try to Start Security Center from there, it says" Windows coulde not start the security center service on local computer. error 1083: the executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 16th 10 02:34 AM
by R Go to last post
31 1,187
Windows Needs Gaming Boot Mode by Geoff[_8_]
Windows needs a basic bootmode for gaming that stops all unnecessary services and processes from loading in the RAM and running in the background. Like in MSCONFIG you select GAME BOOT then restart your machine with networking to play these more sophisticated games like Battlefield series or flight simulators or whatever. It would be so nice of Microsoft to make an update to Win Vista to allow...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 14th 10 04:24 AM
by St Go to last post
10 583
Event Error Question by JamesJ[_4_]
Vista Basic 32bit sp2 I found the following error in Event Viewer 'Administrative Events': The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: TfFsMon TfSysMon The source is:
January 13th 10 10:12 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
0 241
Shock/horror! by ~BD~[_4_]
On 26/11/2009 05:38, Peter Foldes wrote: 5,000,000 Euros will do just nice David. Talk to Trish and see of it is feasible. It's just dawned on me, Just *how* do you know my daughter's name, Peter Foldes? Are you a paedophile?
January 13th 10 07:46 AM
by ~BD~[_5_] Go to last post
9 418
The best program for iPhone by jamescara19
Why pay a ringtone when you already have the song in your music library? Simply drag this song into Bigasoft iPhone Ringtone Maker and make ringtone by yourself to save money. The best program for iPhone is coming,just click the following website. http://www.bigasoft.com/iphone-ringtone-maker.html Bigasoft iPhone Ringtone Maker is an easy-to-use iPhone ringtone creator which helps you easily...
January 7th 10 10:12 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post

From The