Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Help for spy recovery by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup. There are OneCare-specific newsgroups and web-forums where you can seek support and ask questions. Windows Live OneCare Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.generaldiscussion microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.antispyware microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.antivirus
April 6th 08 09:25 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 279
safe mode with networking problem by DBM
Hello, I tried booting Vista into "safemode with networking" so that I could run Trend Micro online scanner from safe mode. The problem is Vista can't find my dsl network connection when it boots and it "is unable to create a new connection" when I try to "create a new connection" while in that mode.
April 6th 08 05:22 PM
by DBM Go to last post
0 269
recycle bin by Joann
I deleated my recycle bin off my desk top how do I get it back? I did system restore and that did not work.I have a windows vista.
April 6th 08 03:17 PM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
3 286
looking for individuals to run local security groups by Brad Dinerman (MVP - Enterprise Security)
Hello, My name is Brad Dinerman. I am the founder and president of the National Information Security Group (NAISG, http://www.naisg.org). We are a US chapter-based organization of security professionals. Each chapter typically holds monthly meetings, but we also provide a number of online resources and an internationally recognized TechTips email list. Membership is ALWAYS free to the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 6th 08 11:29 AM
by Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM Go to last post
21 712
Access controll on multiple files/folders at once by Chris SSOE
So close to using vista for work but when i tried it, i ran into the 1st problem in less then 10 minutes. Why is there no security tab when right click and go to properties on more then 1 folder at a time. Is there a policy that is doing this? Is there a way around it? Was this done intentionally? Im about o loose my hair and im only 21. Help.
April 5th 08 09:41 PM
by .Joe[_252_] Go to last post
2 284
Security errors in Vista by Fletch
Each time I boot up I get multiple security errors. It is a Mesh Machine with Windows Vista; I have had the machine for about 6 weeks, but the problem has only arisen in the last 3 weeks. Malware protection states “Windows did not find any antivirus software on this computer”. But I am running AVG, fully activated. Spyware and other protection states “Windows Defender is turned...
April 5th 08 08:40 PM
by mb76[_2_] Go to last post
7 219
Icon changes in IE7? by splosher[_6_]
Hi Had some issues with my PC for the last week and just discovered this today - a couple of icons in my favourites and Google browser have changed. In the first screen snip, Goggle's icon has changed into a red star/ sun from the G we all know. In the second screen snip, eBay has changed into a tower symbol. Also, you can see the same icons in the top of my favourites panel to the left-hand...
April 5th 08 08:23 PM
by John Bryntze[_3_] Go to last post
1 296
A public data folder by Man-wai Chang ToDie
Does Vi$ta have one? I have an old Foxpro application that used to store data in "c:/program files/myapp/data". With Vi$ta, security becomes an issue for the "progam files(x86)", and I need to relocate the data folder .... -- @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you! /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.22-14-generic
April 5th 08 07:02 PM
by Dennis Pack Go to last post
3 309
Re Post: Security? Issue with administrative works by adam7[_6_]
::I cant do any work that requires administrative power, even though I logged in as an administrator. :: ::I could see run as administrator shield on the icon and if I click there different things happens.:: ::Such as, in the User Accounts- if I click change account type or manage account, Nothing happens:: ::If I click Add Hardware or try to install a program, its say, windows cant find...
April 5th 08 05:04 PM
by adam7[_6_] Go to last post
0 290
Windows update... Not updating!!! by klantee
I have set windows update to automatically download and install updates, but for the last few months it refuses to do so. The update does not start at the schedulled time of which i've set it to update, and when i do it manually, all i get is the green progress ber going across the time and time again. This will go on for hours without update downloading at all!!! Can anyone tell me why?!
April 5th 08 12:54 PM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
3 359
port security by plumber
a common port scan showed that ports 23, and 80 are open and visible to others. how can i hide these ports or otherwise fix this?
April 5th 08 08:26 AM
by hypnotix911 Go to last post
2 265
windows defender is a joke! by Stephanie Stewart
My brand new computer has a virus and I used windows defender to delete it and everytime it gets done scanning it says an error has occured and I can't even delete the program that has the virus. I'm really upset that to even get help with this, i have to pay 60.00 for "advanced support." Vista is starting to SUCK. does anyone have any advice?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 4th 08 04:44 PM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
18 1,097
Notification from DEP? by Ray[_6_]
Is data execution protection supposed to notify me when it stops a program from running? The only "notice" I get is that nothing happens when I click a program's shortcut. Now that I've learned the signs (or lack thereof) of DEP in action I know when to tell it to allow a certain program, but it seems like it should let me know about the problem. -- Ray (remove the Xs to reply)
April 4th 08 01:35 PM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
7 336
What security? for Paul Adare by Zygy
Thank you for the reply. It was CPI as you will see from:- http://www.barclaycardbusiness.co.uk/docs/epdq/BCD28260FCTB11_V2.pdf How is that for correcting the expert? :-)
April 3rd 08 08:41 PM
by David Qunt Go to last post
7 477
Help for GINA placement on Vista by wangxiaoh
We have a software that uses GINAs module on previous Windows versions. Now we want to transplant this software to Vista system, but we have found that Vista system has replaced GINAs module with so called Credential Providers Mechanism. We can't find any informations with Cerdential Providers Mechanism, can anyone hemp us? My If you have any comments for us, please let...
April 2nd 08 08:04 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
1 291
Winows Firewall by 8-Ball
Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red. I continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that I need to change?
April 2nd 08 05:48 AM
by mikecabq Go to last post
9 793
Security Center and Norton 2008 by gabe
I just updated Norton 2007 and installed Norton 2008, now Security Center notifies me that I don't have anti-virus protection, but norton appears to be operating correctly? Norton also recommends turning off windows firewall? is this appropriate
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 1st 08 09:10 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
13 492
running non-microsoft updates by PC flunky
I bought this PC 2 weeks ago. It is an HP a6300f tower and a HP W2007 wide screen monitor. It had Vista home premium, a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security 2008and other software trial offers. I signed up for the 60 day trial of Norton as my first thing done on the PC. Norton seemed to setup sucessfully- it defaulted to the Wndows firewall and set up its product for everything else....
April 1st 08 04:18 PM
by DL Go to last post
2 327
sp1 not listed in windows update. by Neerav[_3_]
sp1 is not listed in windows update when searching from vista business. what to do? Neerav
April 1st 08 03:52 PM
by Scrivener Go to last post
8 361
Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol? by Noob
Ok, Simple question. I have a Local User Account created on a Vista Business computer. This Vista system is on our Domain. I need to have this local account NOT use the Domain password policies. I am NOT able to go in and edit or change these with the Local Security Policy (They are grayed out). I am using a Domain Admin account.
April 1st 08 01:35 PM
by Noob Go to last post

From The