Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
Installing Windows App (.exe) as a service in Vista by hoss
I have a few apps (windows .exe files) that worked fine in XP when installed them to run as windows services. When I try to install the same programs to run as services (using command line and typing appname.exe -install) in Vista, I get the following error message: appname failed - Access is denied. (0x5). Any help / ideas is appreciated. Thanks.
April 26th 07 03:28 PM
by Neil Harley Go to last post
1 145
instAllshield update service update manager vista error requirespermission by Nunya Beeswax
macrovision update service keeps getting blocked at start up, any way to fix?????
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 16th 09 02:03 AM
by jennywu Go to last post
12 496
INSTANT MESSAGING by keyknee
Why does my Aim window freeze up after about a few minutes? Have aim 6.1? For instant messaging... -- Keyknee
October 12th 07 12:50 AM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_2_] Go to last post
5 239
Insufficient Privileges by bilvihur
Running Vista Basic SP1 as only user. While trying to update Adobe Reader, I get msg saying installer has insufficient privileges to access the Adobe directory, cannot continue, Logon as administrator. It doesn't give me the option of downloading the file, and then using right-click, Run as Administrator. Any suggestions? Thanks.
May 3rd 08 03:49 PM
by JABowders Go to last post
8 318
Intel alert service by Patti
Can someone tell me what intel alert service is? when I start up my pc with Vista I get a popup that says intel alert service has stopped working will find a solution at a later date
April 29th 07 06:50 PM
by cb Go to last post
3 180
Intel Official: Expect Less Privacy by jim
Intel Official: Expect Less Privacy WASHINGTON (AP) -- As Congress debates new rules for government eavesdropping, a top intelligence official says it is time that people in the United States changed their definition of privacy. Privacy no longer can mean anonymity, says Donald Kerr, the principal deputy director of national intelligence. Instead, it should mean that government and...
November 12th 07 02:01 AM
by jim Go to last post
0 404
Interactive control ?? by 2confused
I run AVG virus protection and when it wants to update I keep getting this interactive control box that blocks the action and I have to open it and click to let it run AVG and this is SO annoying. It can happen every few minutes when I am on computer. How can I disable this thing before i lose it please?!? thanks...
October 6th 07 04:05 PM
by 2confused Go to last post
2 260
Interesting article on "Drive-by pharming" by Hank Arnold (MVP)
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wireless/?p=179 -- Regards, Hank Arnold Microsoft MVP Windows Server - Directory Services
January 31st 08 02:20 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
1 168
Interfacing to Samba by Simon Dean
So I just upgraded to Vista from XP. Had a few issues with security, couldn't open Control Panel or windows Explorer, was getting "Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device, path. or file" etc. That was until the Windows updates are installed. Now, it's asking for authentication whenever I do anything. I don't have a working domain server (I have Samba, but that doesn't seem to be...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 5th 07 12:39 AM
by Gerry Hickman Go to last post
11 423
internal conflict? by turtlegirl
an antivirus message keeps popping up, saying my computer is loaded with viruses...when i try to register..and pay, which i dont want to do anyway, it says my email is not in their records....how can i dump this software....uninstall it....whatever i need to do?
April 21st 09 09:01 PM
by KenKen Go to last post
2 228
Internet banking problem by CaroleD
With my new Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook, with VISTA, I can't access my online banking. I can get through the security pages of the banking site, but once I type in my account number and PIN, I get the message that Internet Explorer can't display the page. I've tried disabling Norton, I've lowered the security and privacy levels of Internet Explorer, and I've checked and unchecked many...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 13th 07 06:39 PM
by CaroleD Go to last post
11 258
Internet connected but can't use a browser by El.Plates
Hi am trying to fix a problem for a friend of mine on his Dell Inspiron 1720-1418 which is running Vista Home Premium and all is fine apart from Internet Explorer cannot connect to the internet. I DO have a working internet connection and am able to download Windows updates and updates for Spybot (although not for NOD32, Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware !!) I have run the latest version of...
November 3rd 08 07:48 PM
by Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM Go to last post
9 266
Internet Connectivity-unable to connect by Barani Venkatesh.R
hi I just installed Vista RTM in my system everything works fine; but the internet connection is there & no network problem found; but the browsers is unable to open any page,error as "SERVER NOT FOUND" on all browsers & web applications . Firewall configuration is also correct.I used the same configuration for Vista RC1 it works fine. I dont have Live One Care installed in my system but...
April 11th 07 08:30 PM
by Barani Venkatesh.R Go to last post
2 152
Internet Explorer ActiveX Controls by Barneseyd
Whenever a website tries to run an activex control you are given a notification to say that an activex is trying to run. Nowhere are you told what internet explorer is trying to run. UAC pops up to tell you that internet explorer wishes to run an add-on but does not specify which add-on it wants to run. The only time you are told anything about what you are allowing (in fact where it came...
October 4th 07 03:24 PM
by BillD Go to last post
1 233
Internet Explorer Add-on Installer by NoSPAM
I just tried to access a National Weather Service site to view radar images (because of local weather warnings). http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=gsp&overlays=11101111&product=NCR&loop=yes When trying to view the Composite Reflectivity Loop (enhanced version), the Information Bar popped up telling me that IE had stopped the site from installing an Active-X control. When I clicked to...
December 12th 08 12:34 AM
by NoSPAM Go to last post
0 268
internet explorer blocks printing form by debra
going on a site to download a form , and when i click on view and print i get the message that internet explorer has refused downloads from this site. i have allowed all popups. -- debra
December 3rd 07 02:25 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 136
Internet Explorer Protected Mode - Permission to save in folder de by Colinobj
I have Vista Ultimate with SP1, with UAC enabled, and my account is the administrator. I use Ancestry.com for genealogy and when I attempt to save an image of a census page, I get a message saying I don't have permission to save in the folder I've choseen (in my documents), and would I like to save in the pictures folder instead. If I agree to this, I get a similar message saying I don't...
May 18th 08 04:44 AM
by Brandon.HK Go to last post
1 314
Internet Explorer security by Ebbe
My computer must be infected. New Internet pages starts up continuously with advertizing and in particular urging me to download and install “AntiSpywareSuite”. Warning windows with the text “Windows Internet Explorer” at the top of frame, also pop ups asking me: Do you want to install AntiSpywareSuite to scan your PC for malware now? (Recommended) I already have Microsoft malware and...
May 7th 08 09:04 PM
by Ebbe Go to last post
5 252
Internet Explorer toolbar has new icons by Stelcom
My IE toolbar now has the icons: Remove Popups, Scan Spyware, Security Test & Spam Protection, all of which attempt to download a file, it's some kind of malicious thing my pc somehow acquired. I can remove them temporarily via the View command, the toolbar is actually named "The ensfolr". I ran Windows Defender, McAffee and another program I purchased called Spywarebot. Defender &...
January 1st 08 01:49 PM
by Stelcom Go to last post
6 184
Internet security by Krew[_3_]
Ok ..i just reformatted my harddrives to putthem in raid and also to do a clean install of vista 64bit and i come to find out that mcafee is not compatible with the 64bit version.. so heres the question..what internet security suite do you guys use and what is the best in your oppinions? -- Krew
December 8th 07 02:15 AM
by Krew[_4_] Go to last post

From The