Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by ScottK
"Jimmy Brush" wrote: I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post, I will go over what UAC does, how it works, the reasoning behind it, how to use your computer with UAC on, why you shouldn't turn UAC off, and answer some common questions and respond to common complaints about...
March 28th 08 02:15 AM
by Bob Go to last post
1 321
Unknown Running Process by Michael
I have an unknown running process on my computer called "Andrea RT Filters Service". It runs as a Windows servce on start up. I googled it and come up with "Andrea Electronics Corporation". When I contacted them to see if I could get some information about the application. they replied that the do not own or distrubute any application by this name. I have stopped the service and disabled...
March 27th 08 10:28 PM
by Michael Go to last post
6 443
unable to open windows outlook 2007 by richard sikora
I have just configured microsoft outlook 2007 through bt business broadband option 2 which apparently was succesfull. When I tried to open outlook 2007 from my desktop a box appeared HEMV3AUKER.he.local asking for my username and password. After trying different names and passwords I still cannot open outlook. Can anybody help me please.
March 27th 08 09:25 PM
by DL Go to last post
1 317
prohibit new software installs while allowing updates & patches by Don
I'm planning on purchasing several laptops for our firm with Vista Business installed. There is no network and all laptops will work in stand-alone mode. Is there a way I can use the built in Administrator account to prohibit the users from installing any new software while at the same time allowing upgrades and/or patches to software that is already installed? Thanks for any thoughts,...
March 27th 08 07:40 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
1 290
Free AntiVirus by SE
I need a free antivirus program that I can leave disabled and one that I don't have to disable everytime I start up the ol laptop. I'm using Vista and I have tried AVG, AntiVir, and Avast!, none of which will let me permanently disable on startup. I need an antivirus program (who doesn't?), but I do not need one running all the time. Any suggestions?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 27th 08 07:29 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
29 1,186
UAC & secure desktop -- Is it a hole?? by krzysiek
Hi I just found that secure desktop doesn't working as it should ( please correct me if I'm wrong ;] ) I thing that secure desktop has a hole.. If You run priviledged application You can switch to other window using alt+tab and UAC will be minimized ;) I don't think is should be like that... I didn't tried yet, if is possible to send any messages to that window from other application, if...
March 27th 08 05:37 PM
by Louis[_3_] Go to last post
2 301
-- firewall -- by Edmundo J. Davila
Hello, What exception should I create in windows xp or vista firewall to get access to a computer in a LAN with the firewall activated. For example, I want to get access to c drive in a computer of the LAN with the firewall activated \\computername\c$ In advaced I appreciate your help.
March 27th 08 03:59 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
2 308
vista security center by erich
I would like to suggest that microsoft come out with a patch update that will allow the vista operating system to be able to identify and monitor iolo antivirus software which it can't seem to do but is installed on my computer? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...
March 27th 08 03:42 PM
by Scrivener Go to last post
3 252
CAUSE A COMPLETE MEMORY DUMP TO A THUMB DRIVE OR OTHER LOGICAL VOLUME by [email protected]
Is there a way to create a BAT file to cause a complete memory dump to a USB drive or a logical volume other than the operating system volume.
March 27th 08 09:24 AM
by dr death Go to last post
2 279
8download by [email protected]
plz check this site http://8download.blogspot.com
March 26th 08 07:10 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 316
System Restore Points not available by Terry G[_2_]
When I access the system properties box, then click on the system protection tab, it starts to search for available disks. It continues to search indefinitely. I'm unable to access any of the features on this tab: system restore or create. I've heard this has to do with the new updates. Is this true, and is something being done to fix it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 26th 08 04:11 PM
by opalocka Go to last post
13 426
error code 80073712 by Van
I was told that I couyld not update my operating system. The error code was 80073712. The actual update was KB942615. I have not had problems before with updates. Any advice from the gurus?
March 26th 08 03:50 PM
by KC Go to last post
5 390
Windows Defender in sleep mode by Ruby
New HP laptop with Vista installed. My Windows Defender is "on" and set to scan at 2am each morning. However, there is no record of a previous scan. Does Windows Defender scan while in sleep mode or do I need to change the start time? Any help appreciated :)
March 26th 08 11:41 AM
by Ruby Go to last post
3 294
Disable driver signing in Vista 64bit by Chris Barnes
I am trying to get VMware Server running on my Vista Enterprise 64bit machine. The install goes along fine until the very end where Windows complains about 5 drivers as being 'unsigned'. In previous versions of Windows I could simply tell the install to go ahead and all would be fine. Apparently the 64bit version of Vista isn't so accommodating. Is there a way I can spoof these drivers so...
March 26th 08 05:54 AM
by Andrew Davis Go to last post
5 325
UAC by bonzodog
Hi As sole user of my Win Vista Home Basic system, I have turned off UAC. How can I prevent system messages telling me I have turned off UAC every time I boot up. Also, although I am administrator, I have been unable to delete a folder left after the uninstallation of a program. I am told I need permission, from whom???
March 26th 08 04:28 AM
by Smithsonian[_3_] Go to last post
3 435
Word - Block other people from viewing document mark up by shaz
I have an agreement that I have emailed through to some customers but when they send it back it shows all the changes made to the document can anyone tell me how I can stop them from being able to view my mark ups?? -- Needsmoreknowledge
March 26th 08 01:54 AM
by Bob Go to last post
1 216
Keeping Vista Firewall messages from poping up by Jack
I have a Westell Versalink 327w modem from ATT. It has a hard wired firewall in it. So I have turned off the Windows Vista Firewall. BUT Windows Vista repeatedly keeps on asking me to turn it's firewall on. This is very annoying and I would like to disable it. How can I do that?
March 25th 08 10:47 PM
by Kayman[_5_] Go to last post
6 278
-- firewall de windows -- by Edmundo J. Davila
hola amigos, Que excepcion debo crear en el firewall de windows xp o vista de tal forma que si esta activo y desde otra localizacion de red quiero acceder un recurso como \\nombremaquina\C$ pueda hacerlo sin que me bloquee. De antemano gracias por la ayuda. Edmundo J. Davila
March 25th 08 10:21 PM
by Edmundo J. Davila Go to last post
0 231
-- firewall de windows -- by Edmundo J. Davila
hola amigos, Que excepcion debo crear en el firewall de windows xp o vista de tal forma que si esta activo y desde otra localizacion de red quiero acceder un recurso como \\nombremaquina\C$ pueda hacerlo sin que me bloquee. De antemano gracias por la ayuda. Edmundo J. Davila
March 25th 08 10:21 PM
by Edmundo J. Davila Go to last post
0 267
Security causing mail problems by SStone
Cannot reply, forward or send attachments. Have worked on this for 2 days within the Windows Mail Forum. Something is causing a delay in getting mail to the server. This appears to have something to do with security. Has anyone seen a resolution? Details - Unable to send mail problem was sporadic. Had Norton 2007. Took it in to tech support for service and they upgraded to 2008. At forum...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 25th 08 08:02 PM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post

From The