Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista AntiVirus Issue by BillK
I need help please! I just installed the "Shield Deluxe" version of Kaspersky on my vista laptop because Trend Micro didn't work well. Now, Vista does not recognize the fact that it's loaded and is giving me FITS! Blue screens, stalls, video issues . . . the lot. Is there a fix for this? I mean, Kaspersky is one of the recommended programs so why isn't it being recognized?
March 10th 08 03:49 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
9 383
runas explorer /separate by [email protected]
Hi, Using WinXP I was able to run an administrative shell from an normal user environment, through runas /user:administrator "explorer.exe /separate" In Vista business instead whenever that I use runas / user:administrator "explorer.exe /separate" from user cmd, the system return the following message:
March 10th 08 01:49 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 347
Rootkit by ssplal
Hi Today i scanned my system and got the following notification. "The On-Demand Scan found alterations to code or data which may indicate that a rootkit is attempting to hide files, registry keys, processes or other items. If this scan fails to find anything then the computer should be scanned with McAfee PreScan or booted into Safe Mode and this scan run again" What is the problem and what...
March 10th 08 12:57 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 350
Closing Windows Vista by Ronald
When i use the button Shutdown PC, sometimes it doesnt work at all; The sign: "close down" keeps running on the screen but the pC doesnt close, so i need to remove the cable from the modem to get the pc off. Any ideas??
March 10th 08 11:26 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 314
Help with a trojan by Hope
I really need help. Everytime I get on the internet it tells me that my computer was infected by an unknown trojan. My problem is I have all the spyware and security and I don't know how it got on my computer. I don't know who to get rid of it and it will not let me go to a different page on the internet without telling me that everytime. Does anyone know what happened and what I can do to...
March 10th 08 11:25 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 380
No login after sleep/hibernate ultimate x64 by Charlie
I have set "require login" after wake from sleep in power config on new laptop and also requiring login from return from screen saver. Not joined to domain - when computer sleeps/hibernates it wakes up without requiring reauthentication. This is a surprising security gaffe - anyone know what I need to look at? thx - Charlie
March 10th 08 10:48 AM
by Charlie Go to last post
2 280
Help! Vista Locked by wubing
Hi, After I changed Local Security Policy - Security Options - User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode to Elevate without prompting and reboot, my vista box locked. This box does not have local account. Using domain admin account login, tried secpol.msc returned access is denied, tried regedit returned Error writing the value's new...
March 10th 08 09:21 AM
by Man-wai Chang ToDie Go to last post
1 263
Microsoft improvements in windows security? by pavilion_alex
why windows vista is more secure from windows 2000 sp4 or windows XP sp2? what's the difference between those two versions and vista? and if microsoft says that vista has better security than XP why we will always find a malicious file on our pc? (this question is not meant to offend anyone)
March 10th 08 04:38 AM
by James R. Gentile Go to last post
3 297
DEFENDER NEEDS A SCAN EVERYDAY by optical
nearly everytime i start my pc i get the defender has not scanned for 11-15 days like today i was working this morning fired it back up tonight and it says defnder has not scanned for 10 days yet it was scanned yesterday quick and full scan as this problem happens every other day HELP
March 9th 08 08:08 PM
by Brink Go to last post
4 287
Important Update? KB946486 by Peter
Update KB946486. Can someone explain why this update is an important update for Windows Vista when the KB article clearly states: This article describes an update to Windows Live Photo Gallery that is available on Microsoft Update. This update will be offered to customers who have Windows XP computers that have version 2008 of Windows Live Photo Gallery installed. These updates will be...
March 9th 08 03:52 PM
by Gotten Go to last post
4 323
IE can't display remote ftp drive files. (Firefox can.) by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Security) "markh" wrote in message ... Why can't IE display them? Is it a security setting? Might be. Can you open them by themselves, e.g. with no other tabs? Try: Run... iexplore.exe -nohome W:\folder\file.html
March 9th 08 03:17 PM
by Robert Aldwinckle Go to last post
0 248
Vista 64 Bit Read Only STUCK ARRGGG by SirCabbage
Okay; I have vista 64 bit home premium. I have disabled UAC because I find it to be highly annoying. Another thing I find highly annoying is; no matter how much I try to stop it; vista always seems to think I am a moron and sets EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY FILES to read only. Now I heard if you disable security center/windows defender you can un-readonly everything. I tried that; didnt work; yes...
March 9th 08 09:35 AM
by Man-wai Chang ToDie Go to last post
4 277
Protected Mode:ON - causing problems by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Jim wrote: Whenever I try to print preview, print or add a favorite Internet explorer locks up on my Vista Home Basic PC. I noticed that if you click on the bottom where it says Protected Mode: On, a window will pop up and you can uncheck the enable protected mode. Once I did that all issues were gone for me.
March 9th 08 05:47 AM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 263
best anti-malware solution for Vista by John A Grandy[_2_]
What is the best anti-malware solution for Vista ? Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, hijacks, etc.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 8th 08 09:47 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
11 550
changing time without admin rights? by chaos
Is there any way to change the time in Vista Business without admin rights? This seems like such a no brainer that users will need to change/correct their clocks from time to time in addition to having auto scripts set the time at login. But with this admin rights restriction, I would have to give users admin rights or an admin user account info JUST to change the time? Sounds like a...
March 8th 08 12:39 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
1 255
Bitlocker on Non-system Drives by Wayne Harris
Quick Background: I have Vista SP1 on my desktop. I have Bitocker turned on. I have encrypted my system drive. I have encrypted my external USB hard drive. I use a TPM+PIN for Bitlocker Authentication. Question: Why is it, that when I log on to my Vista workstation with a userID other thany my local administrator, I cannot access the External
March 7th 08 10:53 PM
by mikeyhsd[_2_] Go to last post
4 272
Recent Locations by Merrick001
Hi, I want to know how to clear the recent locations list that you have when you open the drop down list at the address bar in windows explorer. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: cbar.jpg | |Download:...
March 7th 08 07:54 PM
by Bob Go to last post
3 285
security by julgha
hi, I have Norton internet security in my PC but i still receiving message from th PC that i have virus.What can be the problem or how can i do to remove them. JUlien
March 7th 08 12:10 PM
by Mirek Go to last post
6 335
Do not trust the "logged on from" at Vista login by HAL07[_2_]
Another bug in Vista (all vistas are SP1) 1. connect from a vista computer (computerA) to your home computer 2. Connect from another computer (computerB) to your home computer 3. When you come home, it's still displayed as "logged on from computerA" on the log-in screen. -- -- HAL07, Engineering Services, Norway
March 7th 08 09:29 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 232
Verifying the event that initally launched a malicious task? by don_b_1
I found a malicious task planted in the Task Scheduler of Vista Home Premium. This task is designed to create an illusion the computer is infected with a virus. Is there any way I can verify the event that originally activated the trigger and set the task in motion? I'm using a reverse engineered OEM version of Vista, not genuine Microsoft Vista.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 7th 08 01:11 AM
by don_b_1 Go to last post

From The