Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't see Internet on wireless network by Michelle[_4_]
I want a second computer (which uses XP) to be able to connect to my internet connection. It CAN connect to the wireless network, but cannot see the internet. I have a Netgear wireless Router, and a security enabled wireless network. The other PC can connect to the wireless network with good strength, but cannot see the internet.
March 3rd 08 10:34 AM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
3 188
Extract TPM Owner Password from AD by Ralph[_6_]
I use BitLocker with AD integration on a 2003 sp2 Domain Controller. The BitLocker Recovery Passwords and TPM Owner Passwords are stored successfully in the AD. I installed BitLocker Recovery Password Viewer for Active Directory to read the Recovery Passwords stored in the AD. Is there a similar way to extract the TMP Owner Password? If I try to change the TPM Owner PW on my Vista PC, I have...
March 3rd 08 09:42 AM
by Ralph[_6_] Go to last post
0 189
How to prevent Defender from rolling back Hosts file change? by JohnDavid
I use the Spybot feature that provides an updated Hosts file (with nefarious sites pointing back to the localhost). Windows Defender real time protection keeps notifying me that it has (or wants to) change the Hosts file back to the original. In looking at Defender's options, I only see one way to prevent this action, i.e. to enter the path to the Hosts file into the "Do not scan these...
March 3rd 08 12:33 AM
by JohnDavid Go to last post
2 188
Windows Login Failure Fail safe by Jonathan Rimbaud
I'm extremely paranoid about my computer and am looking for a way to set up Windows Vista so that if the windows login password incorrectly more than once it will nuke the HD? Does Vista do anything like that? Or is there another program someone can suggest that has similiar features? Jonathan
March 2nd 08 11:04 PM
by C.B.[_5_] Go to last post
4 195
Windows defender Q by Sher
Is defender suppose to be always on for protection or is it just for scanning the files at certain times. Every time I click the defender icon it tells me the it is turned off.I have live one care and I want to get my money's worth. Also I think I was the biggest complainer about Vista. I bought another laptop with XP. It didn't take long for me to want the Vista back. Now I am back with...
March 2nd 08 01:22 AM
by Engel Go to last post
1 176
Lost encryption key by Paul
I reinstalled Vista and wiped my encryption key......yeah I know, a complete idiot. A few questions. First, I did have an image backup that I'm not using but kept as security. It's on the backup but I have no idea where it might be or what to ever search for. Where is it normally save.......my documents? Second, if I can't get it from my image backup, is there any way to override it? What...
March 1st 08 03:11 PM
by Paul Go to last post
0 192
malware off by manoj jose
I have got mcafee in my pc,still in windows security centre showing they cant find it and saying malware protection off.Please send me a solution
March 1st 08 01:20 AM
by No Name Go to last post
3 228
Downloading file to ProgramData directory by Prozac
Hi! I am a Delphi programmer. I've been running Vista for a few weeks and decided to use the ProgramData directory for saving some config files created by my application. This place is recommended instead of Program Files directories that are protected. My application needs to download a little text file from the Internet to check available updates. Seems it is not possible to execute this...
February 29th 08 09:21 PM
by Prozac Go to last post
0 163
How do I get bittorent working in Vista firewall?? by namie
How do I get it working. I keep getting yellow light in bittorent. I already set windows firewall to allow bittorent access to internet. But it is still not working. It worked for Windows XP though.
February 29th 08 05:26 PM
by Allan[_2_] Go to last post
3 175
Security Center Showing Defender off when it is on by Drewscifer
I'm running vista home premium and I recieved (at random) an error that said that Windows Defender was offline as was my virus software (Symantec) after checking and confirming that they were in fact both on. I tried to activate them in the security center. Vista could not find Symantec but it did take me to a site that I could download it so I just deactivated it. Every time I tell vista...
February 29th 08 04:58 PM
by toni Go to last post
2 164
Help plz! Cant get out of safe mode! by HeatherLasVegas
I've tried and tried, please I hope you can help me. I have a Toshiba A215-4817 laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit. My troubles began when my cd/dvd was not operating properly. Toshiba support said my operating system was corrupt. I didn't believe that just because the cd/dvd wasn't working properly that the os is corrupt, maybe they were right. I have extremely important info on my hd as...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 29th 08 03:12 PM
by HeatherLasVegas[_4_] Go to last post
11 301
Firewall will not stay on by P.Bev
I have a Acer notebook. It had Norton security already installed. I removed this recently and put a AVG anti virus on. This seems to be fine. What I am finding is that when I turn on the computer the Firewall is off. I then reset it to on but again it is off on start up. This did not happen when Norton was installed.
February 28th 08 07:20 PM
by P.Bev[_2_] Go to last post
7 208
Application Integration with QuickBooks on Vista by Les Cox
I have a Desktop Application that integrates with QuickBooks. It works fine on Windows XP. On Vista, the integration with QuickBooks returns a message indicating that the Company file has been locked. In other words, the integration doesn't work. Please Help! I have had to stop marketing my application to Vista users until I can get this resolved.
February 28th 08 11:16 AM
by Les Cox[_2_] Go to last post
2 163
error kb944533 by David E
i have installed this about a million times and have tried everything it downloads fine and then i start the computer, it gets about 66% and then it configures errors an sets back to old setting, what is going on? -- David E, Yep thats me!!!
February 28th 08 12:17 AM
by WEASEL3000 Go to last post
8 236
Vista and Macromedia MX by Sam
I installed Macromedia MX on a Vista PC. The following applications were installed: Flash, Dreamweaver, Freehand, and Fireworks. All of the other programs installed with MX open fine, but Dreamweaver pops up with UAC. What kind of things trigger this to pop up and can I "fool" it someway (by registry tweaks, folder permissions, etc) so it does not popup? Does UAC keep a list of which...
February 27th 08 06:59 PM
by Sam Go to last post
0 152
For sale Brand New Sidekick LX for $130 by summer1000[_2_]
Global Tech Ltd is a registered and legitimate company that offer the whole world access to buyer Electronic product at affordable prices. Our product are 1st factory condition with 1years factory waranty in brand new original box with complete accessories . We operate a 100% return policy guarantee . Our aim and objective is to make our customers a happy buyer. We allow 15% on the purchase of...
February 27th 08 06:46 PM
by Bob Go to last post
1 178
Password Never Expires by Licmy
I have Windows Vista 32 bit home premium. I've run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.It finds i need to enable my selected passwords to expire. Their instruction's explain how to do this on several type's of systems,but not Vista. Any one know how to do this on Vista. -- Dave
February 27th 08 03:23 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
2 174
DCOM server error on vista home premium by Carlos Sancho
Hello everybody, Sorry for my poor english. I created a DCOM server (like Excell, Word, ...) and it ran fine on XP. Now, I've installed Vista Home Premium with UAC activated and, when other application tries to use my DCOM server, the nex message is always shown: "This operation needs Elevation" and the application doesn't work.
February 27th 08 03:14 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
1 152
Security, always ask for permission want to turn off by lilmommaof3
How do I turn off the User account control that causes my computer to keep asking me if I executed the program and if I want to run it, even when the programs were pre-loaded on my comp. It even does it when I try to open McAfee Security Center, and it does it every time. This is really getiing past the annoying point. I want to turn it off and I do not know how, it does not give me an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 27th 08 02:56 PM
by Sami Laiho Go to last post
11 309
UAC by Julsie
I have a program called DragonDictate which will not start in "elevated mode". So, after my computer has started I have to untick the UAC in the users account, restart my computer and start DragonDictate. My problem is that after a few hours DragonDictate ceases to function and when I check in the users account I see that the uac as once more "corrected itself" and it is ticked again which...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 27th 08 04:29 AM
by benedito78 Go to last post
37 1,122