Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Cannot start Diagnostic Policy Service by artzoop
Hi, Running Vista and am logged on as a member of the Administrators group and "owner" of C: drive, but cannot start the Diagnostic Policy Service. Error 5: Access is denied. Any suggestions how to solve this much appreciated! Thank you, Greg B.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 27th 08 02:05 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
12 363
Access denied on the registry by Jean-Charles Meyrignac
I'm trying to install VS2008 since yesterday. It crashes when it tries to install Document Explorer 2008. So, I ran the Document Explorer installer, and the exact error is: Error 1402. Unable to open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\2.0\LocalReg\HxDS.HxRegister.1\CLSID System error 5
February 26th 08 08:52 PM
by Beno Go to last post
7 311
user account control by zumba
When I turn my computer on I get a pop up box from user account control that says a program needs your permission to continue - it is norton protection center symantec corp. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and it still does this, I know its not safe to turn the user account control off, my friend has the same computer same everything and his does not do this. If anyone can help with...
February 26th 08 07:53 PM
by Tom Lofthouse Go to last post
3 257
Cannot use ie7 when logged on as a standard user?? by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Stopped IE7 from doing what? -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002 AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net DTS-L http://dts-l.net/ Nick wrote: I have Vista home premium and have an administrator account & a user accout
February 26th 08 06:58 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
3 240
Whats that software called? by Eskimosound
Hi, a while back I was sent an email by Microsoft telling me about some software that would basically lock you compter so that you could use it but not make any changes to it...it looked like it was aimed at public libraries... Any idea what it was called and where I can buy it?
February 26th 08 12:46 AM
by Dave T.[_2_] Go to last post
5 209
Selfcert by Burt
I am trying to create a personal certificate using SelfCert. When I click OK to create the certificate, I get this message: An error occurred during certificate creation. Selfcert was unable to create your certificate No other information or help is available. I have added that feature for the Office 2007 CD. I then uninstall Office and reinstalled. It feels like a security issue. Where do...
February 26th 08 12:01 AM
by Burt Go to last post
0 165
"Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies by Steve Samson
I don't mind replying to the super-dramatic black screen message the first time, but it gets a little old the 50th time. Examples include: - Starting anything as "Run as Administrator" - Starting anything that isn't on the hidden "OK" list Firewall programs are very good at remembering what you told them the last time, but Vista does not seem to be able to do this. Is there any way to define...
February 25th 08 11:52 PM
by Mark[_5_] Go to last post
5 223
IE7 in Vista business is giving problem by Sally06
Hi , we have Vista 32 bit installed at my office. We use it for software testing with different O/S and browser configuration purposes only. But I am having a problem browsing internet using IE7. That is in my company whenever we launch any browser we go to one of our secure web server there we enter a useid and password then we get connected to internet. But IE7 is not laucnhing this secure web...
February 25th 08 06:19 PM
by Mostly Gizzards[_2_] Go to last post
8 213
Unable to Install Programs by Rogene
I have a Vista Business edition installed and it's been added to a Windows SBS 2003 domain. The primary user has UAC turned off. The primary user has been added to the local administrator for his domain account. The primary user is unable to install any programs. Once we login with our domain administrator user, then we are able to install programs. Please help!
February 25th 08 04:43 PM
by Rogene Go to last post
3 191
Setting a password for the first time by ramses
I try to set a password for the first time for my one and only user. I enter my password in the upper textbox and the memoriser for the password in the lower textbox but windows replays that he two passwords are not the same... What am i missing here. Thanks in advance for a reply
February 24th 08 06:57 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 190
Belarc Advisor and Feb 2008 Updates by Dwarf
If you run the updated version of the Belarc Advisor as I have done after installing this month's updates, you may find that you may have a missing Microsoft Security Update. This update is KB942831 and is rated by Belarc as Important. This update did not appear in this month's releases automatically. I have tried to install this update manually twice and have come across the same message on...
February 24th 08 11:26 AM
by Dwarf Go to last post
2 202
trojan removal? by Heath
I run spybot search and destroy and it finds a corrupt file. i then fix the problem however the file is still there. I can find the file myself but I am not able to delete it because it says "in use cannot delete" . So know what should I do. c:\windows\system\32\drivers\core.cache.dsk that is the problem file . and when i do FIX IT with S&D do i then allow windows defender to permit or is...
February 24th 08 02:01 AM
by Engel Go to last post
2 226
tangowire access by island grl
I have a tangowire dating site account but cannot get to the member logon screen. The URL redirects me to an "https" site, but I always get the "IE cannot find the site". The tangowire folks have advised me that this is a Vista security issue, but I have added tangowire.com to my trusted sites...but still no luck...even after rebooting. Does anyone have any suggestions? -- Aloha
February 24th 08 01:03 AM
by island grl Go to last post
2 186
February 21 Vista update issue by Tony G.
after i installed the updat i was not able to logon as myself, i had to logon as a guest and had no access to my documents folder. how so I fix the problem.
February 23rd 08 09:24 AM
by Man-wai Chang ToDie Go to last post
1 154
Windows Vista, need to lock out keyboard access but still have PCrunning when I am away by [email protected]
I am purchasing a new desktop with Windows Vista. I will be using the Bitlocker feature to secure my data. However that still leaves open the chance someone could grab data with a USB key when the computer is on when I am away. When I am away from the computer I want to be able to log in remotely with services like Gotomypc to access my data and applications and have the desktop continue to...
February 23rd 08 04:52 AM
by Frank[_19_] Go to last post
6 175
Windows firewall won't stay on for more that 2 minutes!! by angieb50
I have an Acer Aspire 5103 running Windows Vista Premium and using Firefox. I have not downloaded a third party firewall. Every 2 minutes or so the red shield appears in the icon tray and when I click on it it tells me the firewall is deactivated. I activate it, it goes on and then two minutes later off again!!!! Help!
February 23rd 08 04:18 AM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
9 181
ALERT: Disk encryption may not be secure enough by jim
You may have already heard about or read about this story. If so, this is not for you. For those people in positions where privacy can mean the life or death of a career or even a person, listen up...... "Computer scientists have discovered a novel way to bypass the encryption used in programs like Microsoft's BitLocker and Apple's FileVault and then view the contents of supposedly secure...
February 22nd 08 10:23 PM
by Mostly Gizzards[_2_] Go to last post
5 179
How can I prevent cookie enabling by other apps? by Phil McCrum
I normally operate IE 7 with the followiong options set in Advanced Privacy Settings: Override automatic cookie handling CHECKED, First-party Cookies ACCEPT, Third-party Cookies BLOCK, Always allow session cookies CHECKED. This prevents bad unfriendly sites from letting their 'unwashed partners' put advertising or tracking cookies on my machine. Lately, I have discovered that something is...
February 22nd 08 09:07 PM
by C.B.[_4_] Go to last post
1 171
Why is my Vista laptop so Bloomin' slow? by Michelle[_4_]
I have a totally top of the range laptop, I am not running any of the things like Norton that are known to cause performance problems (I use AVG anti-virus). I have heaps of RAM and disk-space, a fast Intel Core2 Duo chip, yet my computer is slower than my previous seven year old one (that was running XP). It takes about 3 seconds to display things like the Windows Explorer window or about...
February 22nd 08 09:04 PM
by robinb Go to last post
9 176
POP UPS - AAARGH! by Rach
The kids have been playing online games, and I have suddenly got constant pop ups (All start with CiD, if this helps!)- despite having Norton, and using Spybot to try to sort out the problem. I finally resorted to Restore Point, but it is not able to do this as it says that there have been 2 files that haven't been backed up, and I am not able to see which ones these are. (I've tried to...
February 22nd 08 07:12 PM
by Paul Smith Go to last post

From The