Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Seeking Pointers on UAC by Neil Kiser
Hello, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. I am a new Vista Ultimate user. I acquired a laptop with it installed lastweek, and have been installing sotware and configuring ever since. I started out with a user count that had Administrator privileges, but encountered problems and switched to the Administrator account to install software. Hoever, then I noticed that when I reverted...
February 16th 08 06:01 PM
by JohnDavid Go to last post
3 235
Which Firewall is best for Vista? by Mike Dymond
Hi: Which Firewall is best for Vista? Norton? Zone Alarm? Windows?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 16th 08 05:33 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
47 1,079
How do I copy a CD with Vista? by Mike Tucker
Doesn't Vista have a way of copying CD's?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 16th 08 05:28 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
12 392
Sidebar security mixed up by Les[_3_]
Hi Vista Ultimate - fully up to date. Had been using Sidebar for several months, but now, I just can't get it to run at all. 99% of the time, I am using the default user account (3 accounts present - Admin,User and Guest - guest is 'off')
February 16th 08 12:01 PM
by Les[_3_] Go to last post
2 187
whenusave malicious software by Jayrme D.
this sucks! win defender does not have the right directives to fix the problem. I loaded the newest spy bot search and destroy. 1.5 I think from filehippo.com then I had to reboot in safe mode by pushing f8 continuously. From there I ran spy bot and backed up my regestry. Run also windows defender and copy and paste the errors to the "all program" delete all files delete all IM programs in the...
February 16th 08 07:55 AM
by Jayrme D. Go to last post
0 187
Keeps reinstalling same security update by chenalex
My computer has been installing the security update from August 14th 2007 EVERYDAY since the update was released. How do I get it to stop? Also, after periods of non-use, my screen turns off and won't turn back on, even though I set the power options to "never turn off screen." The part that bothers me is that the screen won't turn back on so I have to restart and lose everything that I...
February 16th 08 04:52 AM
by MiataMan Go to last post
3 142
can't handle possible unsafe but in fact perfectly safe files by beerstaxaties
I made a zipfile from all my bookmarks/favourites on my old xp-system in order to be able to use them on my new vista laptop computer. But besides the fact that i am absolutely sure that the favourites are perfectly safe, my computer keeps coming up with:"these files are possibly unsafe and windows therefor blocked these files". This without giving me the option to override, since the files...
February 16th 08 12:12 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
2 172
Startup programs how do you permit the to run by DHMO
This is my last resort. Can I permit a program to run if it is not classified? If so how? I have found ways to do this but they don't work. The program I wish to run is called GoScreen and does not have a certificate. Currently Windows Defender blocks it. I am using Vista Ultimate
February 15th 08 08:14 PM
by DHMO Go to last post
3 267
hyperlink blocked in email message by drumz
Using Outlook 2003 in Vista Basic. An email message (imported from pst) the links say blocked: yadayada.com. How do I turn that off so I can click them? Thanks in advance
February 15th 08 05:08 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 172
Backing up Vista using Ghost 9 by Mike Tucker
Will I be able to back up my Vista-operated laptop using Ghost 9? Thanks
February 15th 08 10:45 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
1 218
Security Configuration. by Yvonne York
Hiya, How can Vista (no router) be configured not to use TCP/IP as transport protocol for NetBIOS, SMB and RPC, thus leaving TCP/UDP ports 135,137-139 and 445 closed. The best to my understanding is that Seconfig works with WinXP only. TIA
February 14th 08 11:34 PM
by Yvonne York Go to last post
4 204
Microsoft Security Bulletins for Feb. 2008 by Donna Buenaventura
Today, Microsoft has released the following Security Bulletins. Please read the security bulletin for more details. You should also read the bulletins for any caveats prior installation of the update. 1. MS08-003 - Vulnerability in Active Directory Could Allow Denial of Service (946538) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-003.mspx 2. MS08-004 - Vulnerability in Windows...
February 14th 08 11:11 PM
by Shenan Stanley Go to last post
3 257
KB931768 problem - ***solved*** by Richard Urban
I had posted in a couple of various threads that I was also affected by this update (KB931768) under both Vista and Windows XP. Under Vista, Windows Mail had become so slow as to be almost impossible to use. Clicking on a post in the news groups took about 2-4 seconds to show the text in the bottom. Replying to a post also took about 2-4 seconds to bring us a usable reply window. Shutting...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 14th 08 08:24 PM
by Jay Somerset Go to last post
41 956
Security Center Driving Me NUTS by Sue[_2_]
All of a sudden the Security Center has begunning nagging me constantly about "critical security problems". First it' telling me I have no anti-virus software, which is a lie. I have AVG which is fully updated and working fine. Then it tells me Windows Defender is turned off and prompts me to turn it on. So I click turn on and a window pops up saying it is checking for updates-then it says...
February 14th 08 05:58 PM
by seekerofwords Go to last post
9 280
Windows Security Center by Chuckrodent
recently something attacked my NAV (I am running Vista Hoem premium) and I had to remove it and re-install it (successfully). Now my Windows Security Center keeps telling me that the computer cannot find any anti-virus software on the computer. I know that NAV is working, as I am able to get my Live Updates, conduct scans and the program is lisetd in my Programs (and the security shield is...
February 14th 08 04:08 PM
by Chuckrodent Go to last post
0 220
not enough permission to write to a folder by [email protected]
My logitech webcam went wierd on me today ....meaning it got stuck in a loop trying to update the drivers.... and I needed to remove it and reinstall. But i ran into the same type of errors reinstalling it. error1317. An error occured while attempting to create the directory C: \ProgramData\logitech\QuickCam I was on the logitech support line and basically it seems like a
February 14th 08 12:39 PM
by Les[_3_] Go to last post
3 202
pop ups by nina
i am trying to look at some pictures on a web page but even though i have turned off the pop up blocker i am getting a red x where the picture should be
February 14th 08 08:22 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
3 240
Comodo Firewall update addresses Windows Update problem by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Crossposted to Windows Update, Vista Security, Vista General, and Security newsgroups. Comodo says v3.0.15.277 fixes "the bug causing Windows Updates to fail in Windows Vista." Source: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/release_notes.html Comodo users can download v3.0.15.277 from http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 14th 08 06:05 AM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
27 574
Dell Dim 9200 with Vista- what exactly is drive D? and other Restoration functions by Joe
I've already posted the following message in a Dell newsgroup, but perhaps some Vista wizards here might be able to help enlighten me on these subjects. If there is a better MS newsgroup for this post on Recovery and Restore functions please let me know- I looked but the best I could come up with was this Vista security group. ************************************ I've now had my Dim 9200 for...
February 13th 08 07:47 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 203
Repeated events in Security log by Tom Allen
I have noticed in my Vista Home Premium Security log that every 30 seconds or so there are two events - 1. Key file operation Cryptographic Parameters: Provider Name: Microsoft Software Key Storage Provider Algorithm Name: Not Available. Key Name: A1 Client Cert key container Key Type: Machine key.
February 13th 08 03:27 PM
by Tom Allen Go to last post

From The