Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista Security Center incorrectly reports Defender switched off and no anti-virus by Ian Nicholls
Well the subject header says it all! Vista Home Premium has been working ok for a couple of weeks when suddenly it reports that Defender is not switched on, and I have no anti-virus software loaded. Well, Defender is on and Avast! is definitely loaded and working. If I try to switch Defender on it searches for updates and still says it's switched off. I've re-installed Avast! and I'm still...
December 13th 09 07:05 PM
by sm_on_live Go to last post
8 436
Vista Port Reporting by 1WildBill
This question posted on Microsoft Technet has not provided any results. Where can one find information on Vista port reporting and available parsers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
December 13th 09 04:52 AM
by 1WildBill Go to last post
0 285
Vista Port Reporting by 1WildBill
This question posted on Microsoft Technet has not provided any results. Where can one find information on Vista port reporting and available parsers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
December 13th 09 04:52 AM
by 1WildBill Go to last post
0 383
Question baout Vista Ultimate Firewall by Octavio
I use Webroot AnitVirus with SpySweeper with with all the settings "on" and has worked well so far, I believe, , but then my Windows Firewall is not "ON" unless I set it on every time manually after I start Windows. All the other settings from Windows Security are already on automatically after startup except for the Firewall, that I have to turn on manually (I have to click the radio...
December 12th 09 11:48 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
2 341
Question baout Vista Ultimate Firewall by Octavio
I use Webroot AnitVirus with SpySweeper with with all the settings "on" and has worked well so far, I believe, , but then my Windows Firewall is not "ON" unless I set it on every time manually after I start Windows. All the other settings from Windows Security are already on automatically after startup except for the Firewall, that I have to turn on manually (I have to click the radio...
December 12th 09 11:04 PM
by Octavio Go to last post
0 237
Will the shredded files be restored? by john
I use file shredder- Gutmann method to delete the files permanently, but will they be restored in some ways? Thanks.
December 12th 09 09:30 AM
by john Go to last post
0 233
file access help by 2frustrated
Hi guys, My laptop harddrive fails to load up vista and there are some very important items of coursework on my desktop that I stupidly forgot to back up. So I remove my laptop harddrive and plug it into my desktop as a secondary harddrive and lo and behold I can access my music and pictures etc. However, the important files that I need are still on the desktop. I can get into the users folder...
December 11th 09 08:58 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
4 362
Need A Quick Reviews by kev-nass[_2_]
Still no reply :( .. While searching down Google I suddenly got a solution what am searching for .. It named as desksense .. What will I do now .. It has got each an every security measure to keep my data safe .. more over some online security is also included like, website blocking, Malware block and stuffs... Good to see it has file splitter and Merger too ... Take a look once and comment your...
December 10th 09 01:39 PM
by kev-nass[_2_] Go to last post
0 210
Need A Quick Reviews by kev-nass[_2_]
Still no reply :( .. While searching down Google I suddenly got a solution what am searching for .. It named as desksense .. What will I do now .. It has got each an every security measure to keep my data safe .. more over some online security is also included like, website blocking, Malware block and stuffs... Good to see it has file splitter and Merger too ... Take a look once and comment your...
December 10th 09 01:39 PM
by kev-nass[_2_] Go to last post
0 294
file access help by 2frustrated
Hi guys, My laptop harddrive fails to load up vista and there are some very important items of coursework on my desktop that I stupidly forgot to back up. So I remove my laptop harddrive and plug it into my desktop as a secondary harddrive and lo and behold I can access my music and pictures etc. However, the important files that I need are still on the desktop. I can get into the users folder...
December 7th 09 08:58 PM
by 2frustrated Go to last post
0 282
Firewall Exceptions for Programs versus Ports by Don
I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista (Business edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify, when you look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does not mention anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically for Port 2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be redundant if the Program...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 7th 09 07:10 PM
by Don Go to last post
12 613
You need permission to perform this action !!!! by PierreDa
Hi, Vista RTM. New install. I become a little bit crazy when trying to do "simple things" ! I have administrator rigths ans I disabled UAC directly after finishing installing Vista. Everything is installing perfectly ... right now ;-)
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 7th 09 06:50 PM
by John John - MVP Go to last post
34 1,312
windows defender at dial up connection with ie8 on a dell inspiron by sam
I recently updated my wife computer in windows update, a lot of files including ie8 now when the computer boots and ie launches and loads after dialup connection connects ,DEFENER DISPLAYS a system change was made by a known application change APP EXECUTION ,cwindowssystem32mswsockdll, this defender box comes on and off two times,then the dial up connection is lost ,sometimes after the conn...
December 7th 09 03:33 PM
by sam Go to last post
4 323
Windows Live Messenger fails on startup in Vista by James
"Stephen @ ZennHAUS" wrote: Hi Everyone. I have a Windows Vista Home Basic Acer Aspire laptop that a client bought last week. When I installed Windows Live Messenger (downloaded from the ninemsn.com.au website), it started like it should but as soon as I tried to sign in, a "Windows Live Messenger has stopped working". When I chose the option to "Check Online for a solution",...
December 7th 09 03:41 AM
by Jonathan Kay [MVP] Go to last post
3 240
parental controls and yahoo messanger by chad
while following what people do on a profile and no limits or program limits no time limits etc it will not let that user open yahoo messanger even though all programs are allowed for that user. is there a way to fix this?
December 7th 09 12:48 AM
by chad Go to last post
0 280
parental controls and yahoo messanger by chad
while following what people do on a profile and no limits or program limits no time limits etc it will not let that user open yahoo messanger even though all programs are allowed for that user. is there a way to fix this?
December 7th 09 12:48 AM
by chad Go to last post
0 198
consent.exe - malware by malfunction44
"consent ui for administrative applications" wants to access the internet: It is showing up on compromised systems. I have it on several laptops - out of the box and manufactured in China. Either the system image has been tampered with or it is a BIOS virus or both. It is smart and attempts to hide itself. ____________________________
December 6th 09 08:10 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
4 242
Firewall Exceptions for Programs versus Ports by Don
I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista (Business edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify, when you look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does not mention anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically for Port 2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be redundant if the Program...
December 4th 09 07:22 PM
by Don Go to last post
0 218
UAC not allowing a startup program by Chris Barnes
I have Trillian (from Cerillian Studios) in my Startup folder so that it begins as soon as I logon. But the UAC is blocking it and I have to manually allow it (and confirm it even doing it manually). Q1: how can I get the UAC to accept Trillian as an allowed program? Q2: if I can't - how can I at least get the program to start w/o having to manually start it?
December 3rd 09 09:07 AM
by wguru[_3_] Go to last post
4 385
Allowing a program through Windows Defender by PA Bear
Forwarded to Vista.Security newsgroup via crosspost. Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for Windows Defender support and comments. This is not one of them. See http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
December 3rd 09 08:52 AM
by wguru[_3_] Go to last post

From The