Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't delete file in hidden folder even after changing owner by Petrarch
I restored my vista OS using a system image utility provided by Alienware. It created a backup folder on the c drive with all the old files in it, including user profiles. I changed the owner of all files and folders back to my account and tried to delete it, but got the UAC messages that I need to allow administrator rights to do so. After clicking yes, I got a message that permission...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 3rd 09 12:22 AM
by allen Go to last post
30 1,115
Why ask every time? An unidentified program bla... by Peerke
Sorry but this is very annoying. Installed a program witch needs more then the normal access (like drivers etc.). Get the question at first startup and say its ok, I know the program. Ok thats good, but... You see I install and configure as admin but I'm working(!) with the normal user account. That is the way to do things. Everybody knows this ;-). So now I get the question every time and I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 2nd 09 11:51 PM
by Mattheu Go to last post
13 700
Error Code 80070490 by Octavio
(Got this posting in Vista.General, but since I am not getting answers, I am posting it here in Security, to see if any one knows about it. Are these two updates referenced below genuine updates from Microsoft?. Thanks to all.) Since yesterday my computer and me have been trying to install two Vista updates: Security Updates for Windows Vista (KB967723)
December 2nd 09 07:01 PM
by Livanton Go to last post
6 565
How to disable Open File - Security Warning dialog box in Windows Vista? by David Ocampo
Dear Windows Vista Community, Every time I want to open a .url file using the customized Links menu on the deskbar (channel bar), I get a dialog box with a security warning message "Do you want to open this file?" How do I disable this security warning dialog box from popping up? I am confident my Avast! virus definitions will detect and intercept any virus or spyware attached to any url...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 2nd 09 06:50 PM
by JonBoyFishhead[_3_] Go to last post
17 765
Defender gone from Vista by Tony Linguini[_3_]
My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware, and I manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from Defender, and now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format please) Tony
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
December 2nd 09 12:00 AM
by Michael Ober Go to last post
42 1,411
Wireless by Phil Rhodes
When I visit my daughter in the city, my laptop picks up an unsecured wireless link with a park bench logo. I take this to mean it's a public website, and I use it. My question is, who provides the logo of the park bench, my laptop (Vista) or the wireless provider?
December 1st 09 06:25 PM
by Phil Rhodes Go to last post
0 302
Wireless by Phil Rhodes
When I visit my daughter in the city, my laptop picks up an unsecured wireless link with a park bench logo. I take this to mean it's a public website, and I use it. My question is, who provides the logo of the park bench, my laptop (Vista) or the wireless provider?
December 1st 09 06:25 PM
by Phil Rhodes Go to last post
0 179
firewall by stevemac
Windows Live One Care firewall not working anyone else with this problem tried to reset reinstall still no firewall
December 1st 09 12:36 PM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
4 336
firewall by stevemac
Windows Live One Care firewall not working anyone else with this problem tried to reset reinstall still no firewall
December 1st 09 12:00 PM
by stevemac Go to last post
0 184
can not access shared drive with VPN by Dooma
I have a vista computer and windows 2003 network. When I run the vpn wizard on my vista computer it connects to the network. I can ping all of my servers ( I have added all servers and their IP addresses to the hosts file). When I try to access any shared drive using the ip address or netbois name it times out on me. I did the same setup on my other windows 7 computer and I was able to...
December 1st 09 12:06 AM
by Nathan[_3_] Go to last post
2 306
Defender gone from Vista by Tony Linguini[_3_]
My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware, and I manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from Defender, and now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format please) Tony
November 30th 09 08:37 PM
by Tony Linguini[_3_] Go to last post
0 170
still cwindowssystem32mswsockdll,then dial up disconnects and reco by sam
windows defender pop up while connected to internet by dial up reads; system change by known application,change type; application execution,cwindowssystem32mswsockdll,i get disconnected and then reconnected. I just ran windows update on a lot of files all successful before this happend, it happens when i am connected to the internet ,i use dial up connection adding 11/25/09 still...
November 30th 09 04:18 PM
by sam Go to last post
0 254
still cwindowssystem32mswsockdll,then dial up disconnects and reco by sam
windows defender pop up while connected to internet by dial up reads; system change by known application,change type; application execution,cwindowssystem32mswsockdll,i get disconnected and then reconnected. I just ran windows update on a lot of files all successful before this happend, it happens when i am connected to the internet ,i use dial up connection adding 11/25/09 still...
November 30th 09 04:18 PM
by sam Go to last post
0 178
I am still getting disconnected on dial up when the following happ by sam
sam" wrote: I recently updated my wife computer in windows update, a lot of files including ie8 now when the computer boots and ie launches and loads after dialup connection connects ,DEFENER DISPLAYS a system change was made by a known application change APP EXECUTION ,cwindowssystem32mswsockdll, this defender box comes on and off two times,then the dial up connection is lost...
November 30th 09 03:59 PM
by sam Go to last post
0 188
I am still getting disconnected on dial up when the following happ by sam
sam" wrote: I recently updated my wife computer in windows update, a lot of files including ie8 now when the computer boots and ie launches and loads after dialup connection connects ,DEFENER DISPLAYS a system change was made by a known application change APP EXECUTION ,cwindowssystem32mswsockdll, this defender box comes on and off two times,then the dial up connection is lost...
November 30th 09 03:59 PM
by sam Go to last post
0 253
How do I disable the Security Center notice about my UAC being off by rowanc88
Every single time I log in to Windows, that bloody little pop-up comes in the notification area saying that my UAC is off and that this is a horrible problem. I know it's off. I turned it off. Why the hell would I be unaware of that? So my question is, how do I stop that annoying notice coming up every single time I start Windows?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 29th 09 08:07 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
47 1,360
is it possible to share the printer only? by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)
This is a good question. You may modify the registry. This how to may help: how to disable administrative share - http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8416&sid=73a1a479a9d9b1fbe9e4349bc7d25cbc -- Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
November 29th 09 08:00 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
0 190
is it possible to share the printer only? by Bruce Chambers
wrote: When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing only? No, there isn't. But if you don't assign sharing to any folders and then grant other permissions to access those folders, they can't be accessed.
November 29th 09 07:40 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
0 205
error code #80072f78 preventing windows update. how can i fix? by incol2007
i am unable update windows but i encounter error #80072f78. how can i fix? -- incol2007 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ incol2007's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/159118.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-security/1276501.htm
November 29th 09 12:17 AM
by incol2007 Go to last post
0 235
Please help with this NTFS question... by LTCstudent
This is a question from my book that me my friend and I are struggling with. ::*A user is assigned Read permission to the NTFS folder C:\ACCOUNTING. They require full access to C:\ACCOUNTING\FORMS. This can be accomplished by:* :: *A)* not possible
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 28th 09 01:53 AM
by Ching Go to last post

From The