Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Return ICMP port unreachable on nonlistening socket by Petr Pisar
Hello, common TCP/IP implemetations return ICMP port unreachable error packet when somobody send packet to port where no server is listening. This was true even in Windows XP. However Windows Vista Business SP2 behaves differently. It drops the packet silently even if given port is allowed for incoming communication in Advanced firewall settings. (And yes, I'm pretty sure it's really allowed...
November 27th 09 05:55 PM
by OgL Go to last post
6 361
windows defender at dial up connection with ie8 on a dell inspiron by sam
I recently updated my wife computer in windows update, a lot of files including ie8 now when the computer boots and ie launches and loads after dialup connection connects ,DEFENER DISPLAYS a system change was made by a known application change APP EXECUTION ,cwindowssystem32mswsockdll, this defender box comes on and off two times,then the dial up connection is lost ,sometimes after the conn...
November 27th 09 05:31 PM
by sam Go to last post
0 248
How can I retreive or reset my user logon info? by Advice Pro
My PC won't boot neither normally or in safe mode and It won't repair itself, but I've found that if I press F8 after a restart, I can then select the option to repair and I getting System Recovery Options that ask for the user login. Either I don't have my user login info or it won't be accepted. I have the Gateway disc that came with my PC. I also have discs created at Best Buy, 'Gateway...
November 25th 09 07:18 PM
by sHaDoW8585 Go to last post
1 309
Is it possible to decrypt EFS files without backup certificate by sunorain
A PC had Vista installed and one folder was encrypted by OS. This folder had some thousand or so files. Then Vista was reinstalled, with most old system files (including "Windows", "Users" and "Documents" folders) deleted before reinstallation. Encrypted folder left intact on HDD. Is it possible to get files from encrypted folder somehow decrypted under newly installed copy of Windows?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 25th 09 10:57 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
25 844
Microsoft Security Essentials Group? by allen
Is there no Microsoft Security Essentials Group? I'd have thought this would be a hot topic.
November 24th 09 11:15 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
6 369
Microsoft Security Essentials Group? by allen
Is there no Microsoft Security Essentials Group? I'd have thought this would be a hot topic.
November 24th 09 09:25 PM
by allen Go to last post
0 260
Windows Defender efficient ? by bruno
Hello, what do you think of Windows Defender? Is there a better software ? Thx
November 24th 09 03:32 PM
by TopLess Go to last post
1 278
Membership at Aumha forums by BoaterDave[_4_]
"BoaterDave" wrote: Thank you for the information, Robear. My KAV7 is now updated to 325. As the AumHa VSOP & Admin, are you going to honour your promise - to have me simply suspended me for 7 days and then be reinstated - or do you want me to play games with re-registering? I was becoming quite fond of being a Gold member! I was also considering making a donation once I was...
November 24th 09 07:12 AM
by ~BD~[_4_] Go to last post
4 236
What is Browser Defender? by JamesJ[_4_]
I found a program installed on my system 'Browser Defender'. I have uninstalled it. Upon searching the internet I found some articles but notrhing telling me what program could have installed it. Can anyone give me some insight into this program? Thanks, James
November 23rd 09 08:33 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
4 413
What is Browser Defender? by JamesJ[_4_]
I found a program installed on my system 'Browser Defender'. I have uninstalled it. Upon searching the internet I found some articles but notrhing telling me what program could have installed it. Can anyone give me some insight into this program? Thanks, James
November 23rd 09 11:03 AM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
0 270
Vista USB Monitor Is Released by BestITPros
Description: Vista USB Monitor is an easy to use program for detecting Foreign USB Drives inserted to your PC. When a Foreign USB Drive is inserted, it will generate a sound and text alert, it will log file contents up to 3 folder levels deep, You can also set it to delete files on a Foreign USB Drive Inserted to your PC. Vista USB Monitor Features: Alert When a Foreign USB Drive is inserted...
November 23rd 09 06:39 AM
by BestITPros Go to last post
0 317
Vista USB Monitor Is Released by BestITPros
Description: Vista USB Monitor is an easy to use program for detecting Foreign USB Drives inserted to your PC. When a Foreign USB Drive is inserted, it will generate a sound and text alert, it will log file contents up to 3 folder levels deep, You can also set it to delete files on a Foreign USB Drive Inserted to your PC. Vista USB Monitor Features: Alert When a Foreign USB Drive is inserted...
November 23rd 09 06:39 AM
by BestITPros Go to last post
0 223
Win 7 UAC Group Policy equivalents by Jeff Vandervoort
Is there a document that maps GPO settings for UAC to the UAC slider settings in Windows 7? My immediate objective is to set client computers to the "Maximum" slider position, but it would be useful if GP equivalents for each of the 4 positions was documented. -- Jeff Vandervoort JRVsystems
November 21st 09 01:59 PM
by Jeff Vandervoort Go to last post
0 355
Win 7 UAC Group Policy equivalents by Jeff Vandervoort
Is there a document that maps GPO settings for UAC to the UAC slider settings in Windows 7? My immediate objective is to set client computers to the "Maximum" slider position, but it would be useful if GP equivalents for each of the 4 positions was documented. -- Jeff Vandervoort JRVsystems
November 21st 09 01:59 PM
by Jeff Vandervoort Go to last post
0 241
Error Code 80070490 by Octavio
(Got this posting in Vista.General, but since I am not getting answers, I am posting it here in Security, to see if any one knows about it. Are these two updates referenced below genuine updates from Microsoft?. Thanks to all.) Since yesterday my computer and me have been trying to install two Vista updates: Security Updates for Windows Vista (KB967723)
November 21st 09 10:04 AM
by Octavio Go to last post
0 201
UAC prompts by glwhit
I'm attempting to install a simple add-in for Adobe Connect, this has to be installed as a regular user to function. It worked fine on our old system image, but under our new one we are prompted for elevated privileges. I've tried going through all the security settings for both images but cannot find the difference. Can anyone shed some light on what security setting would cause an...
November 19th 09 11:17 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 319
error 1606 Could not access network location %APPDTAT%\ by Justin
Help me i cannot install or uninstall anything cause i get an error 1606 Could not access network location %APPDTAT%\ and i checked the 2 locations in the regestry like the microsoft website says to do and there was nothing wrong with it SO HELP ME
November 19th 09 11:14 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 307
Cannot download .exe by cfuqua
The version of Vista I use, running IE7, cannot download .exes. My XP computers, running IEs 7 and 8, and once 6, have never been so irritating. (i'd say my faith in vista is dwindling, but it was never there to begin with.) I've tries to download many a .exe. This time, for reference, it's Ventrilo. Certainly not a shady program - trusted by supposed millions. When prompted, if I click Run,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 19th 09 11:12 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
12 478
error 1606 Could not access network location %APPDTAT%\ by Justin
Help me i cannot install or uninstall anything cause i get an error 1606 Could not access network location %APPDTAT%\ and i checked the 2 locations in the regestry like the microsoft website says to do and there was nothing wrong with it SO HELP ME
November 19th 09 10:21 PM
by Justin Go to last post
0 212
UAC prompts by glwhit
I'm attempting to install a simple add-in for Adobe Connect, this has to be installed as a regular user to function. It worked fine on our old system image, but under our new one we are prompted for elevated privileges. I've tried going through all the security settings for both images but cannot find the difference. Can anyone shed some light on what security setting would cause an...
November 19th 09 01:11 PM
by glwhit Go to last post

From The