Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Access to raw devices by Graham Wharton
Can anyone tell me how I can access raw devices in vista. Currently vista is stopping me doing legitimate work on my PC that I could do with ease under windows XP. The things I am trying to do is. Use syslinux to make a USB attached compact flash card bootable. Access the said USB stick through vmware as a raw physical disk.
October 10th 07 04:43 AM
by Graham Wharton Go to last post
0 149
Error 0x80501001 in by fairyreveries
Hi I wanted to know what the error 0x80501001 is and why is it when I go to remove something that Windows defender detects that I get this message with the following error. I then rescan (did that at least 3 times) like it suggested and yet it doesn't get rid of the file. Would quarentine be a better option that remove all? Please help!
October 10th 07 01:25 AM
by Engel Go to last post
6 202
Can't click on bank login link by onemulligan
I am using Windows Vista Premium and IE7. I can no longer click on my banks login link. I have two other banks and can click on their login with no problem. After many hours I know it is not a IE7 problem but something in my computer. Has anyone heard of this happening and how to fix it? Also, can't connect to Quicken to download transactions and I think the two problems are connected. I...
October 9th 07 08:49 PM
by onemulligan Go to last post
2 141
Open File Security Warning by Kishore
Is There any disable applications poping up Open File Security Warning programatically
October 9th 07 08:24 PM
by Patrick Go to last post
6 179
Downloads disappearing; cannot save attachments. by JohnMcG
I had my wife's account set up as Administrator. I set it back to standard user. Since then, whenever we download a file through IE7, it seems to work (downloads to 100%), then the dialog disappears, and the file is not in the target location. It seems like it gets moved, since if I download to the Desktop, I see an icon, that then disappears. Restoring the account to Administrator did...
October 9th 07 07:56 PM
by JohnMcG Go to last post
0 143
security suites.nis2008 or f-secure2008 by peter c.a.hawkins
Given the option,which of these two would YOU run on your computer with vista home premium installed,2gb of ram,core duo processor.i welcome reports from any-one who has f-secure 2008 internet security suite installed as i would like feedback on it to know if it has any drawbacks. thank-you.
October 9th 07 07:47 PM
by windyvoice Go to last post
5 248
disappearing downloads by cherie24
hi i have windows vista basic, it came with norton preinstalled 1 month trial i removed and installed avast on line. All was ok but now i cant download anything, i have tried to save to locations but nothing. i even removed avast to see if that was the problem, which made no difference, and now i cant reinstall it. is this a security problem? ie windows defender. any suggestions gratefully...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 07 06:02 PM
by Rick at TeakwoodMall Go to last post
10 317
Microsoft Security Bulletins for October 2007 by Donna Buenaventura \(MVP\)
Microsoft released the following security bulletins today: 4 Critical MS07-055 - Vulnerability in Kodak Image Viewer Could Allow Remote Code Execution (923810) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-055.mspx MS07-056 - Security Update for Outlook Express and Windows Mail (941202) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-056.mspx MS07-057 - Cumulative Security...
October 9th 07 05:51 PM
by Donna Buenaventura \(MVP\) Go to last post
0 165
Blockage of Download by Mike
I get the message "Your current security setting do not permit you to download this file". It is a pdf file, a bulletin from a church. Why is it being blocked and how do I stop it from occurring. I get no option to override it.
October 9th 07 03:54 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 167
hacking through shared internet connection? by M
I share an internet connection with some renters in my house. I want to know whether there's any chance that they could hack into my computer through our shared internet and see some of the websites I've accessed. I've sent confidential information online (i.e. credit card info) and I don't want them (or anyone) to be able to see that. I've got windows vista, and updated anti-virus and...
October 9th 07 03:50 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 126
What would you say about a set of anti-piracy technologies that allows - by Rob Harmer
..................software developers to easily mark features as "licensable entities" that can later be controlled through various kinds of digital licenses....... ........... a business or product-marketing group to create digital licenses for certain feature bundles, where they can easily turn on and off those features that were marked as protected and deliver only the desired functionality...
October 8th 07 11:36 PM
by Rob Harmer Go to last post
0 110
Can't play pogo behind firewall by maylan1225
I have already downloaded the latest Java program. The error message pops up in pogo that says cannot connect to the server: The following error has occurred: Unable to Connect to Server Explanation: In order to play, the Java applet must open a network connection to our servers. The applet was unable to open this connection. This could occur if you are trying to connect through your...
October 8th 07 10:36 PM
by maylan1225 Go to last post
0 126
IE7 Flags registry value mistery by dekac99
The registry value HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1 is set to 0xdb. When a user, who is a local admin, logs on for the first time on a vista computer, his local profile get created and the flags registry value get changed from 0xdb to 0x1db. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks.
October 8th 07 06:23 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 123
windows firewall error by No Name
Hi all, I have a Windows Vista Ultimate laptop part of our domain. Everytime I try to go into Windows Firewall to change any settings, it just will not launch. I get the following error:- Due to an unidentified problem windows cannot display windows firewall settings. Any ideas?
October 8th 07 03:32 PM
by No Name Go to last post
6 121
The Base Filtering Engine service terminated by PCT-Scott
The Base Filtering Engine service terminated with the following error: The specified procedure could not be found. The above error is causing all dependant services to fail. I have tried Dean-Dean's ideas of rebuilding the repository even from scratch. No luck. I've searched around on the forums to no avail. The executable "svchost.exe" is present in the appropriate directory. This is a...
October 8th 07 04:55 AM
by PCT-Scott[_2_] Go to last post
2 104
virualization by ThosRTanner
is there any way to add directories to the list that vista virtualizes (as per a technote somewhere that suggests it will only virtualize %ProgramFiles%, %Systemdir% and something else. I have a legacy program which I've had to install on drive D because there ain't enough space on drive C, and the virtualisation doesn't happen, which is a trifle annoying at times
October 7th 07 09:20 PM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post
3 139
Running Vista as a "LAN only" workstation. by John[_13_]
Hello, I tried to google, but was unable to find any instructions that tell someone how to disable the MS-Vista internet connection. I would like my Vista machine to be able to access the other computers in the LAN only. How can one do this? I am about to spend some quality time with my router, to see if I can accomplish this via router settings. If anyone has any suggestions on this, I...
October 7th 07 09:06 PM
by Doug Go to last post
2 118
Compl PC Bckup, add-on? by Boswell
only having - ... home premium, where can I purchase Compl PC Bckup? -- Boswell
October 7th 07 01:36 AM
by Iain[_3_] Go to last post
2 200
Microsoft Security Advanced Notification by Donna Buenaventura
This is an advance notification of seven security bulletins that Microsoft is intending to release on October 9, 2007. Security Updates 4 Updates with maximum severity rating as Critical that affects Windows, Microsoft Office. Other items that is affected are the components of Windows such as Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and Windows Mail. 3 Updates with maximum severity rating as...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 7th 07 12:30 AM
by Dave T.[_2_] Go to last post
11 259
user access rights problem by pacer
i just installed vista home premium, installed quickbooks, when i go to use i get this message.. " your user account for windows was created with restricted access to system resources. this will prevent quickbooks from operating properly. please contact your system administrator and ask him or her to grant you standard user rights." i am only user and my account is administrator. please...
October 6th 07 11:44 PM
by pacer Go to last post

From The