Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Interactive control ?? by 2confused
I run AVG virus protection and when it wants to update I keep getting this interactive control box that blocks the action and I have to open it and click to let it run AVG and this is SO annoying. It can happen every few minutes when I am on computer. How can I disable this thing before i lose it please?!? thanks...
October 6th 07 04:05 PM
by 2confused Go to last post
2 260
I can't get parental controls to work by Theo[_2_]
I have set up parental controls. I have set up activity reporting on the users. All I get is the programs used. Web sites visited is blank and so is the instant messenger log even though Microsoft messenger 8.1 has be extensively used. There does not appear to be anything else to set but it does not work. The time limiting works OK. I have the same problem on two computers now. They are ...
October 6th 07 12:40 PM
by Theo[_2_] Go to last post
0 219
Can I use GPG with Windows Mail? by munchie[_2_]
My friend and I are getting into GPG, but so far I'm having to encrypt everything manually. Does Windows Mail support GPG/PGP? It'd be cool if there was some sort of automation.
October 6th 07 06:17 AM
by munchie[_2_] Go to last post
2 383
uac incorrectly identifies nsis installers by Amir Szekely
I realize this isn't exactly the best place for bug reports, but it's the best one I could find. If there's a better place, please let me know and I'll post my bug report there. I'm the lead developer of NSIS, a software package used to create installers for Windows. Vista added a new feature that asks the user for an administrator password for programs requiring administrator privileges....
October 6th 07 02:03 AM
by chuco Go to last post
1 477
Vista rootkit or digital rights management issue - repost? by Bob
Hi Sorry but I'm having PC issues at the moment and I'm not sure if this is a repost. I have Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed on my new HP laptop. Every time I go to open a folder that has audio, ripped from a CD, in .wav format, my hard-drive goes overtime, running almost 100% constantly. System responsiveness to a single-click is about 30 to 60 seconds. This is the
October 6th 07 12:25 AM
by Bob Go to last post
4 281
Bitlocker Dual Boot by Kos
Hi, I dual boot with XP and have enabled bitlocker on my Vista partition. Everything is working fine. I have to insert the usb key to boot vista, but I can boot xp without the usb key. Is there a way to require xp to have the key to boot also, effectively locking the notebook. Sorry for the english, my third language.
October 5th 07 08:50 PM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post
1 300
Opening Attachments by Daisy
I have recently emailed an attachment to someone who is saying that becasue I am using Windows Vista and she is using Windows XP she cannot open it! She says she will have to download something which is going to cost her money to enable her to open it. In previous months I have used my dads machine (Windows XP) and it has never been a problem. I have just saved it as a nornal Word...
October 5th 07 08:48 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_2_] Go to last post
4 252
Spy Sweeper Blocking Game Installation by Bugster
I recently had my hard drive replaced. Previous to that, I was able to download my Big Fish games with no problems. Now when I attempt to download any of my games from Game Fish, a Spy Sweeper message pops up with "File System Shield has quarantined a potential threat that was trying to install itself." I am not real versed in this sort of thing, but I did try to go into the Spy Sweeper...
October 5th 07 03:18 PM
by Bugster Go to last post
0 224
You need permission by John
Hi, Setting up my new Vista Business 64 computer and trying to copy all my downloaded files from the old computer to the new over the network. Whenever it comes to an EXE file it stops with "You need permission to perform this action". I have administrative rights on the new computer. How do I give myself permission to copy all files?
October 5th 07 02:52 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 272
Vista drive has problem, want to copy files to new drive, HOW?? by DocBarkley
Hi, My Vista drive has a master boot record problem. I want to copy the files from the drive (I can see them) to a new drive, Can anyone help me?? Please!!??
October 5th 07 01:52 PM
by DocBarkley Go to last post
0 225
Mcafee compatibility issues by Zeta947
I just got a laptop with windows vista ultimate and i tried to install Mcafee internet security center, special edition from AOL and it gives me a message that says this version of windows is not compatible with this when the download is almost complete. I already tried turning off the windows security center firewall and uninstalled my norton free trial but it still doesn't work. It worked...
October 5th 07 11:03 AM
by Malke Go to last post
1 242
Help! I can't unistall Symantec for Vista. by [email protected]
I recently upgraded to Vista. Everytime I try to uninstall Symantec Antivirus, I get a message that says "This version of symantect antivirus does not support windows vista platforms." I have downloaded and tried to run the Norton Removal tool, which won't work because it also asks me to uninstall symantec...which I can't! Please help. Should I re-install Vista???
October 5th 07 04:28 AM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
1 231
Vista rootkit issue - all legit. software by Bob
Hi I have Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed on my new HP laptop. Every time I go to open a folder that has audio, ripped from a CD, in .wav format, my hard-drive goes overtime, running almost 100% constantly. System responsiveness to a single-click is about 30 to 60 seconds. This is the definite trigger, (the folder). I have Norton Internet Security 2007, not my first choice of av...
October 4th 07 11:03 PM
by Bob Go to last post
6 239
windows vista stability not improved by LL
i am a fans of microsoft and follow what they say. i use windows vista on all my computers. however, i feel disappointed about the quality of windows vista. in this few months, vista has crashed to blue screen on several occasions. today while i was scrolling down my internet explorer screen browsing the web with just a few windows opened, it just suddenly died with a STOP error on dot4.sys....
October 4th 07 10:38 PM
by harbaughisback Go to last post
1 251
Internet Explorer ActiveX Controls by Barneseyd
Whenever a website tries to run an activex control you are given a notification to say that an activex is trying to run. Nowhere are you told what internet explorer is trying to run. UAC pops up to tell you that internet explorer wishes to run an add-on but does not specify which add-on it wants to run. The only time you are told anything about what you are allowing (in fact where it came...
October 4th 07 03:24 PM
by BillD Go to last post
1 233
'Windows Monitor' spyware?? by MC10
I have Windows Vista. Every now and then a very small window will pop up and it says 'Windows Monitor' on the top. If I try and click on it, it will go to the task bar and I can't bring it back up. If I roll my mouse on it, it will show what's on the screen, but the screen is blank. Is this Spyware? I did spyware and virus scans and nothing shows up, it is still coming up every now and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 4th 07 11:47 AM
by Mark[_5_] Go to last post
15 378
ActiveX controls Problem by Dwaggie67
How can I allow websites to use the ActiveX controls on my computer? Every time I want to do something I get this message in a gold bar: Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on yyour computer. How can I disable this permently. I can't even plag a game becuse of this.
October 4th 07 04:27 AM
by Derek Go to last post
5 258
VISTA: Windows Photo Galery always closed by DEP by Leszek
Whenever I start Windows Photo Galery system gives a notification to say that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) must to close application. Switching off DEF in Windows Photo Galery is not allowed. What can I do ?
October 3rd 07 11:21 PM
by Leszek Go to last post
0 225
Zone Alarm Security Suite by razor_303
I have the ZA Security Suite 2007 running on Vista Home Premium and some features don't work, but the basic ones do, but I wanted to know if anyone knew when the 08 edition will be coming out? Thanks
October 3rd 07 08:51 PM
by Marc Go to last post
2 279
BitLocker question by Martin X.
Hello, If I want to switch from using a startup key to TPM or vice versa, do I need to decrypt the volume first or can I just disable BitLocker, then make the switch after re-enabling BitLocker?
October 3rd 07 05:33 PM
by Steve Riley [MSFT] Go to last post

From The