Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
security center error by [email protected]
I just bought a Dell computer with Windows Vista. It had McAfee a/v software pre-installed which reports to be working satisfactorily. But I keep getting an alert from the windows security center saying the computer is unprotected and no anti-virus software is loaded. Can I assume that the computer is protected as reported by McAfee, and is there any way to stop the annoying messages from...
September 30th 07 01:04 PM
by munchie[_2_] Go to last post
1 126
How can I remove the "Security Warning" message on my taskbar by Mr.Moon
I bought my computer before 2 weeks ago. And, It said I have to register my anti-virus software "Macafee". But I coudn't register it. So, I removed this software. Then, security warning message comes out when I turn on the computer. I can't do anything. In Windows XP, I could change the option(not monitered) but I can change it in Windows Vista
September 30th 07 01:02 PM
by munchie[_2_] Go to last post
3 157
How to save a file in Vista's Windows Folder by Broadband Al
I have Excel VB code that saves a tiny ini file in the Windows Directory. Worked a treat on XP for years. It won't run on Vista because of the security permissions for the Windows folder. I can work around it for new files but all the hundreds of existing examples of my spreadsheet crash on opening on a Vista machine. I don't want to reprogram every instance - all I need is to save a tiny file in...
September 29th 07 01:19 AM
by munchie[_2_] Go to last post
3 145
Program asks for permission every boot by munchie[_2_]
I've got a program from a driver I installed (C:\windows\soundman.exe) that pops up a dialog every time I boot this limited account asking for permission to run. I've tried unchecking the permission settings, and unblocking the program--by right clicking it. Am I missing something here?
September 29th 07 01:17 AM
by munchie[_2_] Go to last post
4 167
widows defender by R.j
Been at this now for the last 4 hours problem how do i permit AVG and have my security centre recognise it windows secuity centre says not monitored i installed avg because its recomended and when i check my security centre it says the following virus protection Not Monitored Spyware and other malware not monitored when i click monitor now i get windows defender is turned off these...
September 28th 07 10:07 PM
by Engel Go to last post
3 134
Block Yahoo Messenger Through Hosts File by Khalid Naeem[_2_]
hi to all i was using following addresses in my hosts file they were working properly mean yahoo messenger was blocking this way but now these links dont work wheter they changed their servers or they changed the way yahoo messenger sign ins. kindly help me how can i block yahoo messenger through hosts file 127.0.0.1 messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php 127.0.0.1 ...
September 28th 07 04:16 PM
by Khalid Naeem[_2_] Go to last post
0 145
Parental Control for AIM by WB8IMY
Is there a good parental control and monitoring application that works with AIM and is Vista compatible? Thanks . . . Steve
September 28th 07 03:28 PM
by Wim Hekken -) Go to last post
2 133
Permissions on SUBST.EXE, ATTRIB.EXE, et al getting reset by Keith Hill[_2_]
For some reason, my Vista Enterprise system has reset permissions on a number of EXEs in the windows system32 dir and now I have to elevate to execute attrib.exe and subst.exe. This isn't the case on my home Vista Ultimate PC. What's even weirder is that when the perms get screwed up the properties dialog for that file looks like you are editing a .PIF file. It has a whole bunch of extra...
September 28th 07 12:42 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 129
MainWindowTitle empty in Vista by JamesB[_2_]
Hi Apologies for the crosspost... I've written a windows service (c# 2.0) that is used in my workplace to monitor application usage of our users. It basically gets a list of processes and associated window titles (if present) and logs these for management to refer to. Unfortunately it doesn't work on Vista! Well, it does, in that the .exe names are logged, but WindowTitles are not. Doing a...
September 28th 07 12:41 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 132
Security by jc
I have the latest Norton anti virus with firewall, spyware protection, and everything else. My question is, should I and how do I turn off all of the Vista security. I know how to disable the firewall(I don't need 2 running), but what about the rest of the stuff like defender etc? Thanks,
September 27th 07 09:01 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
1 134
updateIU.exe by Pedro Sousa
Before I start running the web a message is displayed: «Do you want to install updateIU.exe?" What's this? How can I handle with this? Thanks from Portugal, -- Pedro Sousa Portugal
September 27th 07 08:10 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 130
need help with deleting by craig
my firend came over and gave me some music files from his external hard drive, however, he has awful taste in music and i want to delete the files! it says i need permission!? i assumed i would be able to delete it if i didnt want it! any way round this? (i have windows vista business) thankyou!! craigxx
September 27th 07 06:24 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
1 118
widows defender by R.j
Been at this now for the last 4 hours problem how do i permit AVG and have my security centre recognise it windows secuity centre says not monitored i installed avg because its recomended and when i check my security centre it says the following virus protection Not Monitored Spyware and other malware not monitored when i click monitor now i get windows defender is turned off these...
September 27th 07 04:43 PM
by R.j Go to last post
0 121
Hard drive seeks very fast while Screen saver active by warp9
I have a problem with a either spyware or virus that I can't seem to get rid of. My hard is seeking Very very fast whenever the Screen saver is going. If I were to leave it that way it would probably burn up the hard drive. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? I've ran both avg and adaware and not found a virus or spyware. When I run task manager nothing shows up yet I can hear...
September 27th 07 05:48 AM
by uhaligani[_4_] Go to last post
2 138
external hard drive permissions by oxeimon
So I've got a Vista ultimate desktop, and a ubuntu linux laptop. I also just bought a new external hard drive, and for some reason, my ubuntu laptop has no write permissions to it. I tried looking at its permissions on my vista desktop, but I can't seem to add permissions for people that aren't somehow connected to my desktop. For example, there are permissions for administrators, users,...
September 27th 07 12:13 AM
by oxeimon Go to last post
0 109
unexplained process running all the time by T5
Hi Guys, I have recently noticed that I have a process running everytime That I have vista running, it whirrs and clicks and grinds and crunches but I cannot locate it at all. It is not showing intask manager. I have scanned with spybot S&D, Ad Aware 2007, I am using onecare live and that hasn't picked anything up either. what could it possibly be, it is driving me mad, it is constant and...
September 26th 07 11:51 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
4 130
Zonelabs Latest Free Firewall by Ron H
Check out something new from Zone Alarm but it's in public beta for now looks like it's going to be a very nice product. After reading first page click (read more) second page is PC Mag, look at slide show. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2188265,00.asp This Force Field site is a good laugh : http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/forcefield_x/index.html Site Advisor has PC Mag...
September 26th 07 08:21 PM
by Paul Zak Go to last post
1 139
removal of win32:trojan-gen. virus by Martin
I am using the free version of Avast AV and recently every time I boot up I get a warning saying win32:trojan-gen {other} has been found. This happens even tho' each time I have followed the recommended action and put it in the chest. How do I get rid of it please? -- Martin
September 26th 07 04:42 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 139
Vista won't let me take permission by munchie[_2_]
When I was trying to replace my hosts file, located in C:\windows \system32\drivers\etc, in my standard user account Vista popped up a dialog that I needed to take permission of the folder. After entering my password, it seemed like it was going to work--until I was forced to retry again! Strangely, the copy went fine when I used the Administrator command prompt. Is this a known issue?
September 26th 07 04:38 PM
by JerryM Go to last post
1 119
i need help by moonstone25
ihave forgotten my password and need to install web cam to do so can someone please help as im really stuck
September 26th 07 04:35 PM
by JerryM Go to last post

From The