Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Cant uninstall Norton by StuUK
I have tried to uninstall Norton from my computer as the anti virus software ive been given by a friend says that it is on there and needs to be removed before installation, however, when I try to uninstall, all I get is ' the specified module could not be found'. So why wont it delete? Laymans terms :-)
March 29th 08 11:20 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 380
DELETE files FOREVER? by 8-Ball[_2_]
Ok, so when I delete something it goes to the recycle bin. When I delete something from the recycle bin it is gone forever. -THINK AGAIN- I deleted somthing from the recycle bin and got it back a few days later...I also found a ton so stuff I was told was "deleted" forever by Windows. I brought it back (using some uber-simple free program) just to see it it was really there (not just a file...
March 29th 08 11:50 PM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
8 519
"Encrypt Contents to Secure Data" box is unavailable by Jacob Smith
I've tried to convert my hard drive to nfts, and it says that the drive is already in that format. When i try to encrypt a file or folder, the "encrypt contents to secure data" box" is unclickable.... What's wrong? 0_o
March 30th 08 05:14 AM
by Allan[_2_] Go to last post
2 365
pop from my toolbar. by helpinfo22
I tried downloading ps trials on the web yesterday. Every since then a pop up from my toolbar has been coming up say that something called Trojandownloader.XS. has been detected. Also when I load explorer the tool bar disappers and my desktop icons disappear as well. Do I a virus??
March 30th 08 06:04 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 426
Internet Explorer & Microsoft Registr Server issue by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup. ...Ever since I ran the last update on my laptop What updates were installed when you "ran the last update" (e.g., Vista SP1; driver update) and when did you run it? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 30th 08 04:41 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
12 1,080
DEFENDER WON'T LOAD by John[_28_]
Vista Home Premium. Windows defender won't start. Get some error message... 0x800106ba. Also... when I boot all security is turned off. I turn it all on again but when boot again its off again. help John
March 30th 08 07:54 PM
by garysgold[_5_] Go to last post
6 532
Blocked startup programs by londonblue[_3_]
Hi, Since installing Vista SP1, windows defender alerts me that it has blocked a startup program. The program it is blocking is by eMPIA technology, Inc, BDA Monitor application, file name hcwemmon.exe. Can anyone tell me if this os okay to permit to run or not? Or even if i need to run it? I'm using vista ulitmate 64. Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.
March 31st 08 02:54 PM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
5 462
Cannot debug with running VS2005 as administrator by bharath_r
Hi all, I am new to windows vista. I shifted from xp to vista only a few days back. One strange thing i have noticed is every time i try to run a program i am asked whether i want to continue. The other thing is that if i do not start VS2005 by saying 'run as administrator' i am not able to debug my programs. I cannot debug ISAPI dlls, i cannot attach to processes, although i am logged into my...
March 31st 08 04:32 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 489
Problem with latest update by Benzmum
I installed the update for Defender KB915597 (Definition 1.29.8167.0) on the 28th, and this morning my computer isn't starting properly: it's hanging just before it starts to install my startup items, and I need to use the power button to turn it off. I'm using Vista on a notebook, and I have read that if my computer begins to behave oddly that I should look at the last thing I installed....
April 1st 08 01:44 AM
by Benzmum Go to last post
2 487
UAC dennied my install without display dialog box by nicolasc
I do lsf installing on Vista, UAC is enabled, type "lsfmon -install" in command line and will call OpenSCManager(), there is no dialog box displayed and give error "Access is denied". If I turn on the feature "Run this program as adminstor" of lsfmon.exe, there is no problem, so I want to know why Vista do not give out UAC dialog box for elevation. -- nicolasc
April 1st 08 02:07 AM
by nicolasc[_2_] Go to last post
2 350
UAC - File Virtualization (VirtualStore missing) by Simonfr
I’m currently troubleshooting a problem with UAC - File Virtualization in Vista SP1. File Virtualization is not working in Vista and is breaking some applications that previously tested good. The difference with this build is that the C:\User folder has now been relocated to the D:\User. It now seems that Vista is not creating the VirtualStore Folder & and respective sub-folders under...
April 1st 08 07:45 AM
by Simonfr Go to last post
6 452
Vista Security Center and Norton Internet Security 2008 by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost for more exposure. Symantec Support http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/index.html -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002 AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
April 1st 08 10:47 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 394
Local Vista User Account using Domain Security Pol? by Noob
Ok, Simple question. I have a Local User Account created on a Vista Business computer. This Vista system is on our Domain. I need to have this local account NOT use the Domain password policies. I am NOT able to go in and edit or change these with the Local Security Policy (They are grayed out). I am using a Domain Admin account.
April 1st 08 01:35 PM
by Noob Go to last post
4 334
sp1 not listed in windows update. by Neerav[_3_]
sp1 is not listed in windows update when searching from vista business. what to do? Neerav
April 1st 08 03:52 PM
by Scrivener Go to last post
8 361
running non-microsoft updates by PC flunky
I bought this PC 2 weeks ago. It is an HP a6300f tower and a HP W2007 wide screen monitor. It had Vista home premium, a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security 2008and other software trial offers. I signed up for the 60 day trial of Norton as my first thing done on the PC. Norton seemed to setup sucessfully- it defaulted to the Wndows firewall and set up its product for everything else....
April 1st 08 04:18 PM
by DL Go to last post
2 327
Security Center and Norton 2008 by gabe
I just updated Norton 2007 and installed Norton 2008, now Security Center notifies me that I don't have anti-virus protection, but norton appears to be operating correctly? Norton also recommends turning off windows firewall? is this appropriate
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 1st 08 09:10 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
13 492
Winows Firewall by 8-Ball
Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red. I continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that I need to change?
April 2nd 08 05:48 AM
by mikecabq Go to last post
9 793
Help for GINA placement on Vista by wangxiaoh
We have a software that uses GINAs module on previous Windows versions. Now we want to transplant this software to Vista system, but we have found that Vista system has replaced GINAs module with so called Credential Providers Mechanism. We can't find any informations with Cerdential Providers Mechanism, can anyone hemp us? My If you have any comments for us, please let...
April 2nd 08 08:04 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
1 291
What security? for Paul Adare by Zygy
Thank you for the reply. It was CPI as you will see from:- http://www.barclaycardbusiness.co.uk/docs/epdq/BCD28260FCTB11_V2.pdf How is that for correcting the expert? :-)
April 3rd 08 08:41 PM
by David Qunt Go to last post
7 477
Notification from DEP? by Ray[_6_]
Is data execution protection supposed to notify me when it stops a program from running? The only "notice" I get is that nothing happens when I click a program's shortcut. Now that I've learned the signs (or lack thereof) of DEP in action I know when to tell it to allow a certain program, but it seems like it should let me know about the problem. -- Ray (remove the Xs to reply)
April 4th 08 01:35 PM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post

From The