Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
VISTA: Numerous problems by radioman
Hello, My son got me a new Acer notebook PC, model #ZR1 last week. It has the new Vista operating system equipted on it and it is giving me some troubles. They would seem to be minor to some, but after having XP ust the troublefree way I like it. they are a big deal to me. I've called Acer a couple times and each time they had had me restore the system to factory specs which just got me...
September 12th 07 05:50 PM
by Gary G. Little Go to last post
1 162
security by sarahjane
every time i turn my computer on i have to go into my security centre and turn my firewall on manually also i cant get my malware to work it says it cant find any updates. i do have norton security 2007 that was put on my computer in june and i have had my windows vista since february. can someone help me as im not really computer literate and i am a bit weary about letting any else going...
September 12th 07 04:53 PM
by peter Go to last post
1 157
Vista Backups 0x800FFFF On Vista Ultimate by Roger Stenson
Hi Can anyone help with possible reasons for the above backup failure. I have looked at the Event Log and have also been to on line help. Shares are available on the source and destination. The space on the destination of several multiples of the space being backed up. The security system is Microsoft One Care The system runs for about 20 seconds and then crashes Roger Stenson
September 12th 07 10:22 AM
by Roger Stenson Go to last post
0 159
IE7 cannot open web site by dacoper
Since a recent MS update download, IE7 has been unable to open one web site that I visit regularly. I have tried all the fixes recommended by Windows help with no success. I removed each update one at a time, but that did not resolve the issue. I consulted wih the web site's web master, but he was unable to help resolve the issue, and suggested that it might have to do with firewall...
September 11th 07 11:50 PM
by freeranger Go to last post
1 137
change passwords by Chrisdohck
How do i change my main password so i can stop certin ppl from getting on my computer ( i know my old one if thats any help just need to change it)
September 11th 07 09:40 PM
by Dave Go to last post
2 164
Time limits on MSN by Paul-blu
I wanted to find out if anyone knows of a way to limit the time spent using MSN. I have bought my teenage daughter a laptop which she now uses in her bedroom. I want to give her as much freedom and trust as I can but time ebbs away when chatting to her friends. I have installed Symantec Norton 360 to help with this but neither 360 nor Vista allows me to limit the time spent using MSN. I have...
September 11th 07 03:20 PM
by Paul-blu Go to last post
0 139
Bug (undocumented feature?) in Credential Provider subsystem by [email protected]
Has anyone here tried to write a custom Authentication Package and Credential Provider on Vista? I'm trying to do this, but I've encountered a bug (or an undocumented feature) in the Credential Provider subsystem. I can successfully log into an interactive session, but it seems that the credential provider subsystem is trying to read my custom authentication package's profile buffer. I don't...
September 11th 07 02:12 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 150
anyone know how to change the memory ratio:frontside Bus in a p5wd2-e premium by daniel and tasha
yes was wondering if someone could give me step by step instructions on how to change the memory ratio/front side bus. iv been overclocking with great success, but cannot change the memory ratio cause i cant find anywhere to do it. i figure its in the biuos but have been all through the bios thanks daniel
September 11th 07 10:49 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
2 166
Duplicate Contacts Folder? by Nigel Molesworth
Although when moving the location of my Contacts, I selected the option to move the contents of the (empty) folder, I still seem to have a duplicate Contacts folder. I seem to have the required permissions to delete it, but I can't. Also the folder has a standard icon, and no Location tab. Any ideas?
September 11th 07 12:02 AM
by bobby Go to last post
2 171
Open Port by Marc Darragh
Hi all Got an open port 515. Using windows vista business edition, Nod32 and Zonealram free ed. Do a port scan using Shields up and keeps showing that this port is open. Anyway off closing this with vista?? Regards
September 10th 07 10:08 PM
by Robert Moir[_2_] Go to last post
5 202
What Port/Prgrm to open for Defender and Windows Update by Pit
Hi there, I have my (windows) firewall configured to block outgoing traffic except for given rules that are in place. Works perfect and blocks unwanted incoming and outgoing traffic alike. The problem is that from activating the firewall neither Windows Defender updates nor Windows Update are working anymore. On the one hand this is proof that the firewall works but these comm is wanted.
September 10th 07 07:15 PM
by Pit Go to last post
3 151
Problems with IE7 and Explorer as FTP client by Jerry
For years, I've been using XP Pro. I use Windows Explorer as my FTP client. It's very easy to do. You just type in your FTP site in the address box, hit return, and then a login box pops up asking for a user name and password. I can do the same with Vista, but there's a real difference in the functionality, and I'm having real trouble getting Vista Explorer (not IE, but the file explorer)...
September 10th 07 05:42 AM
by Jerry Go to last post
4 127
anyone know a ready boost compatability link for a list by daniel and tasha
anyon know where i can find a list of mp3 player/ usb flash memory that can use readyboost list of compatibale devices. iv been searching everywhere even contact microsoft cant seem to find somethin. i am looking for the cheapest and decently fast ready boost capable device of pricewatch. or maybe even a usb with flash card kit daniel
September 10th 07 04:02 AM
by David Go to last post
3 235
Passwords by Jerry MAY
Hi, How can I protect a folder or drive with a password with Vista Ultimate ? Regards, Jerry
September 9th 07 04:31 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 146
Windows Firewall Settings by CuzIdidit
I play alot of internet games. When I host a games,others cannot find my server. Is there more exceptions that need to be turned on in firewall settings, such as peer to peer collaboration,ect? Also, Do I need to add the ports for the game into the exceptios? I am using a router with the ports open thru it, and my games exe. is checked in the exceptions tab.
September 9th 07 02:33 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 143
Windows alerts on .exe files by Mr. Krümel
Hi, When I open .exe files a warning message from windows always appears, it says something like: "Do you really want do open this file? This file can damage your PC (...)". Is there a way to set it off? Thanks! -- Directx 10, save us! ;p
September 9th 07 05:54 AM
by Dwolfe Go to last post
8 254
msxml2r32.exe? what is this? by ...
Every time I restart Vista Ult with latest updates, I notice my router's lights blinking and I recently noticed this setting that keeps coming back on my Persistent Port Forwarding options: msxml2r32 Inbound Port 1757 on TCP I delete this setting and restart the PC, and it's back. I can't find this find anywhere on my PC. I've searched the net and only found couple of Korean or Chinese...
September 9th 07 12:32 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 203
Blocking of download of Googlel Earth by winner
When I was trying to download Google Earth, somehow I accidentally blocked the download. I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and Norton Antivirus 2007. I am try ing to unblock it - using instructions I got from Norton, but for some reason I cannot get those instructions to work = that is Step 2 of those instructions. Where is am supposed to find the Google.exe program and enter it. Can anyone...
September 8th 07 07:25 PM
by Robert Moir[_2_] Go to last post
6 226
Free security software 'as good as commercial brands' by Julian
The consumer watchdog Which? found that many free programs outperformed rivals costing up to £50. Computer owners who pay for top-of-the-range security software could be wasting their money, according to Which? A report by the consumer watchdog found that free alternatives to popular security products such as Norton Anti-Virus and McAfee VirusScan work just as well as paid-for programs, and...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
September 8th 07 07:23 PM
by Robert Moir[_2_] Go to last post
38 724
error protector by meshawolf1
is this thru microsoft or some out side source just trying to gain access to my puter?
September 8th 07 02:18 PM
by Malke Go to last post

From The