Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista vs Kaspersky by occam
I have installed and running Kaspersky Anti-virus 7.0 on my portable (Windows Vista Business). Kaspersky thinks it is protecting my pc. ('Computer protection status' says so.) However I have the red warning shield (red cross)saying that Kaspersky has been turned off. When I go to 'Windows security centre' and click 'Turn on now', I get the usual two options ('Yes, I trust...' , 'No,i would...
September 8th 07 10:30 AM
by occam Go to last post
3 152
permission to access by christineb
Is there a way to permanently say "yes" to the same programs you want to run. Example: Every time I want to launch Firefox and have to OK it. WHY!!!! It's driving me nuts. Also, is there a way to get rid of the screen that tells me over and over that some start up programs are blocked. I KNOW that.........I blocked them! Thanks for any help christine
September 7th 07 11:17 PM
by Dave Go to last post
1 172
Vista Home Premium password expiration by Bob
Is there a way to set passwords to never expire in Vista Home Premium? Thanks.
September 7th 07 09:33 PM
by Bob Go to last post
4 792
Vista 64 Preboot and Drive Encryption?? by bobster[_2_]
Driving me up the wall I have been looking for days now I like Compusec but its not 64 compatable. Anyone using anything like this?? Cheers, bob
September 7th 07 02:25 AM
by bobster[_5_] Go to last post
8 184
Need help with installing MS Streets & Trips 2008 on Toshiba laptop (Vista); Errors 1303 & 1304 by Barbara[_2_]
Hello, all. I just bought a new laptop running on Vista. This is my first experience with Vista. I created only one username and it was an Administrator-level user. I also bought MS S&T 2008 (the basic version, w/o GPS) earlier this week. This was my first experience with a DVD-based S&T. My previous S&T experiences were limited to CD-based edition, i.e. 2006 and before. I have had no...
September 6th 07 11:16 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 155
FYI be careful. by Mr. Arnold
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3321
September 6th 07 04:07 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
2 189
Downloading in VISTA by Syed Hasnain Ali
Hi, I just wanted to know what exceptions do I have to include in the firewall to allow files download through Internet. When I disabled the firewall, I can successfully download files from Internet, but when I enabled it, the download does not start. I don't want to keep the firewall disabled so can anyone tell me what should I included in the firewall exception to allow files...
September 6th 07 03:46 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 146
VPN vs RDP by Jason Sands
If you had to leave a port on Vista open to the world (no IP limitations allowed), would you leave VPN or RDP open? The other computer will be XP SP2 so the Network Level Authentication can be thrown out. And please don't ask why I am using a Vista machine for a VPN/RDP endpoint... this what they want.
September 6th 07 03:28 AM
by Jason Sands Go to last post
0 181
Double Vision by MULTISY
Whenever the 'Enter Credentials' Security windows pops up, I get to double my pleasure, but why??? How did it happen and how to get rid of the extra set of credentials? Anyone in the know about this one. Thanks in advance.
September 5th 07 11:26 PM
by MULTISY Go to last post
0 159
Windows Firewall will not start in Windows Vista by chee
I had the same problem: service wouldn't start and all kinda errors. It happened right after my machine joined the domain that have XP and 2003 servers. Figured it had to be the group policy already running on the domain. You most likely have Windows Firewall policy running on your domain or your workgroup. Vista Firewall policy is configured in computer configuration\windows settings\window...
September 5th 07 08:48 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 144
Home page in tab by ggrothendieck
I had previously posted this in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general but no one there had the answer: one person just suggested items from the basic procedure which I believe I did follow correctly since it works on XP and another suggested restoring the original settings and trying again but that did not work. I believe its essentially a security issue so I am trying here. My home page is a...
September 5th 07 02:44 PM
by ggrothendieck Go to last post
5 149
I can't get data from my old HDD by Familydavis
My PC blew up, I now have a new PC with Vista installed. On my HDD, certain files are encrypted and I can't move them onto my new PC - I have tried everything that I can think of but the new PC does not recognise me as the 'owner' of the folders so will not let me move them! I can move all non-encrypted files though - help!!!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 5th 07 04:15 AM
by Jesper Johansson Go to last post
15 252
Putting a certificate in the proper place after accidentally puttingit in the wrong place by Morris Cox
We have a network printer and I have enabled security on it. Therefore, when I use the web interface or use software (that came with the printer) to check for new faxes, it uses a certificate. On two Vista Business computers, I accidentally went with the default of using the Personal store instead of the only useful store, Trusted Root Certification Authorities. Now I can't tell Vista to...
September 4th 07 05:46 PM
by Haitao Li Go to last post
5 159
sagd by di1015di
±¦½£·æ´ÓÄ¥í³ö£¬Ã·»¨Ïã×ԿຮÀ´£®
September 4th 07 08:00 AM
by di1015di Go to last post
0 352
tpm 1.2 cannot start by jeff hughes
Hello I have a Gigabyte GA-P35T-DQ6 Rev 1.0 mainboard. I am running Vista Ultimate. In the device manager it has a query on trusted platform module 1.2 and in properties, device status has ' this device cannot start. (code 10)'. I have asked Gigabyte but they do not appear to know about their own mainboards. Thanks Jeff
September 4th 07 02:08 AM
by Jsung Go to last post
5 163
VPN setup dies, no domain name resolution by Vigilante[_2_]
I can't get a VPN connection to work anymore with Vista. My XP machine is fine. It worked a few weeks ago, now I get nothing except one out of 20 servers. I cant run my AutoCAD because I cant find a license now. XP machine still works fine. Nothing has been changed on the VPN setups with my systems at work. Vista just tanked the functionality. I tried switching between public and private,...
September 3rd 07 10:13 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
3 146
UAC Group Policy Setting in Registry. by John
In the higher forms of Vista (not Basic, which I have) you can use gpedit.msc to change the UAC setting allowing a user with an admin account to be elevated automatically. No more nag screen. Where in the registry are those settings? Since I can't use gpedit in Vista Basic, I would like to go directly to the registry setting. Thanks.
September 3rd 07 09:59 PM
by Jesper Johansson Go to last post
1 147
parental controls - email by Chris Cowles
I have parental controls set up and it filters web sites but does not seem to monitor email. What email clients are compatible? I just tried Windows Live Mail (beta), with no success. I want my kid to be able to use hotmail, but as a desktop client not html only. Am I out of luck? -- Chris Cowles Gainesville, FL
September 3rd 07 03:56 PM
by Chris Cowles Go to last post
0 140
Group and user security policies in Vista Home Premium by POPTOPP
I've been working with Dell support to try to figure out a way to disable password aging in Vista Home Premium. They've concluded that since certain MMC console documents are missing or non-functional (such as gpedit, lusrmgr, and secpol) that the OS has been corrupted and a complete reinstall is required. In an earlier post, Jesper hinted that some account management features have been...
September 3rd 07 03:09 AM
by Nico3d3[_2_] Go to last post
4 180
Re-install computers using BitLocker and TPM by Ragnar
Hi What will be the required procedure to re-install a Windows Vista computer running BitLocker and TPM? I assume decrypting the volume is required? Or is it sufficient to disable BitLocker to be able to re-install Windows (if you don't want the data)? To backup the TPM owner information to Active Directory I assume TPM must be re-initialized?
September 2nd 07 05:38 PM
by Ragnar Go to last post

From The