Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
"DT GWY" in my Startup Item by Octavio
I have the following question, if this is not the Newsgroup to post it, can you advise where I can post it?: Today I noticed that after I got to my startup programs (thru msconfig) as have as one of my items "DT GWY" and under the Manufacturer it says "Unknown" and under Location it says "HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run" I have Windows Vista Ultimate.
November 7th 09 10:22 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
6 351
"DT GWY" in my Startup Item by Octavio
I have the following question, if this is not the Newsgroup to post it, can you advise where I can post it?: Today I noticed that after I got to my startup programs (thru msconfig) as have as one of my items "DT GWY" and under the Manufacturer it says "Unknown" and under Location it says "HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run" I have Windows Vista Ultimate.
November 6th 09 09:55 PM
by Octavio Go to last post
0 265
Run DLL, Module not Found, C:\USER\dc54~1\aPPdATA\Local\Temp\iifdefda.dll by Alon civier
Hi, i m using vista premium ome and i get the following error message everytime I start my computer. I just close it and continue, but my system is very slow and encounter unplanned closures and many performence problems. I tried to check google for this DLL and it does not exist. Can anybody help me in solving this issue, what should I do?
November 4th 09 04:55 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post
2 300
Run DLL, Module not Found, C:\USER\dc54~1\aPPdATA\Local\Temp\iifdefda.dll by Alon civier
Hi, i m using vista premium ome and i get the following error message everytime I start my computer. I just close it and continue, but my system is very slow and encounter unplanned closures and many performence problems. I tried to check google for this DLL and it does not exist. Can anybody help me in solving this issue, what should I do?
November 4th 09 11:04 AM
by Alon civier Go to last post
0 177
NORTON 360 Live Update by Justin
I bought norton 360 and hade it for about 2 years and had no problems but up until recently i got the GREEN AV in my system and it would not come out so i went into the regestry and got rid of it and through the system and got rid of that so it does not pop up any more when i turn on the system but now when ever i use live update on norton 360 it says opperation failed and will not update...
November 4th 09 02:14 AM
by Justin Go to last post
0 197
Error message when starting Task Scheduler by Cal Bear '66[_2_]
Sorry for the multi-post (previously posted to the vista general group with no answer and I forgot to also cross-post to these maintenance and security groups). Suddenly when I open Task Scheduler I get the following error message: "An error has occurred for task Reminders - XXXXXXXX. Error message: The specified account name is not valid."
November 3rd 09 11:25 PM
by box293 Go to last post
4 307
unidentified program wants access to your computer by GADOI
Hello: This seems to indicate that perhaps there is a way to allow identified programs to access the computer. After all, Microsoft Office suite does not trigger the UAC and it read-writes to registry, etc... So, what is available to allow Vista the "Identify" my program as safe, leaving UAC alon. Thanks T
November 2nd 09 07:30 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
7 371
can not access shared drive with VPN by Dooma
I have a vista computer and windows 2003 network. When I run the vpn wizard on my vista computer it connects to the network. I can ping all of my servers ( I have added all servers and their IP addresses to the hosts file). When I try to access any shared drive using the ip address or netbois name it times out on me. I did the same setup on my other windows 7 computer and I was able to...
November 2nd 09 02:47 PM
by Dooma Go to last post
0 237
AVG free software by luby
I was upgrading to AVG 8.5 and the download failed. My system will no longer allow me to run or save any setup files from their site or any others. And, I believe the email scanner included with the software has failed in some way that I can no longer open or save attachments from my email. I've tried to uninstall AVG but it states "Installation Failed" details...Installer initialization...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 2nd 09 12:22 AM
by Charles W Davis[_2_] Go to last post
12 461
MS Security Essentials by t-4-2[_99_]
Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy. Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials. If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ? t-4-2
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 1st 09 02:58 AM
by Hans Broesicke Go to last post
12 465
Does a manifest containing requestedExecutionLevel need to be embedded? by John Daintree
Hello all, I've been experimenting with manifests to set "requestedExecutionLevel" to "requireAdministator" for an application to run on Vista and Windows 7. It seems that the manifest MUST be embedded in the executable, I cannot just have myapp.exe.manifest exist in the same directory as the executable at runtime. Is that the correct behaviour? And is there specific documentation from...
October 30th 09 11:09 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 256
Does a manifest containing requestedExecutionLevel need to be embedded? by John Daintree
Hello all, I've been experimenting with manifests to set "requestedExecutionLevel" to "requireAdministator" for an application to run on Vista and Windows 7. It seems that the manifest MUST be embedded in the executable, I cannot just have myapp.exe.manifest exist in the same directory as the executable at runtime. Is that the correct behaviour? And is there specific documentation from...
October 30th 09 10:40 AM
by John Daintree Go to last post
0 206
"Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance by Frez121212
The issue is, I'm using symantec antivirus on Vista Ultimate 64 bit (biggest mistake of my life to put 64 bit btw) and one day it just started finding dozens of viruses in my C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp Sometimes its autoprotect, sometimes its Defwatch scan, sometimes it quarantines, sometimes it "leaves alone", 2wice it said reboot required, sometimes it says "delete was partially...
October 30th 09 01:57 AM
by Frez121212[_2_] Go to last post
3 299
Can't open images on Desktop by Nigel Molesworth
If I drop a jpg on my Desktop, I can't open it with Photo Gallery. If I move it to Documents, or Pictures for example, it opens fine. My Desktop is a subfolder of a separate drive, alongside Documents and Pictures etc. Any thoughts?
October 30th 09 01:11 AM
by RochoTowey Go to last post
5 392
"Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance by Frez121212
The issue is, I'm using symantec antivirus on Vista Ultimate 64 bit (biggest mistake of my life to put 64 bit btw) and one day it just started finding dozens of viruses in my C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp Sometimes its autoprotect, sometimes its Defwatch scan, sometimes it quarantines, sometimes it "leaves alone", 2wice it said reboot required, sometimes it says "delete was partially...
October 29th 09 11:38 PM
by Frez121212 Go to last post
0 196
Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host by Frank C[_2_]
Hi, My firewall (AVG) is asking me to allow or block Misrosoft Windows Search Filter Host. This comes up repeatedly. I have been "Allowing for Safe" What is the function of this program and should I allow it? I recently installed the new Firefox (3.5.4) and Adobe Reader (9.2.0) Thanks Frank C Dell Inspiron 530S Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2
October 28th 09 07:54 PM
by Frank C[_2_] Go to last post
0 168
Microsoft Windows Search Filter Host by Frank C[_2_]
Hi, My firewall (AVG) is asking me to allow or block Misrosoft Windows Search Filter Host. This comes up repeatedly. I have been "Allowing for Safe" What is the function of this program and should I allow it? I recently installed the new Firefox (3.5.4) and Adobe Reader (9.2.0) Thanks Frank C Dell Inspiron 530S Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2
October 28th 09 07:54 PM
by Frank C[_2_] Go to last post
0 306
Error Code 737D by Louise[_4_]
Hello Everyone I am having a nervous breakdown due to my Laptop, I am running a genuine copy of Windows Vista Home Edition Premium. For the last month it has been trying to install a update but appear to be failing each time the update it is trying to do is Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Park 3 (KB70892) It keeps giving me the error code of 737D, I am only a basic user of a
October 27th 09 05:50 AM
by Louise[_4_] Go to last post
0 175
Is it possible to decrypt EFS files without backup certificate by sunorain
A PC had Vista installed and one folder was encrypted by OS. This folder had some thousand or so files. Then Vista was reinstalled, with most old system files (including "Windows", "Users" and "Documents" folders) deleted before reinstallation. Encrypted folder left intact on HDD. Is it possible to get files from encrypted folder somehow decrypted under newly installed copy of Windows?
October 26th 09 12:25 PM
by sunorain Go to last post
0 190
AVG free software by luby
I was upgrading to AVG 8.5 and the download failed. My system will no longer allow me to run or save any setup files from their site or any others. And, I believe the email scanner included with the software has failed in some way that I can no longer open or save attachments from my email. I've tried to uninstall AVG but it states "Installation Failed" details...Installer initialization...
October 26th 09 03:35 AM
by luby Go to last post

From The