Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
"delete temporary internet files" - scumware can still cause troub by nweissma
temporary internet files ("tif") are laced with scumware - viruses, trojans, data miners, .... as i understand the concept of "delete," the file is not erased but rather merely that its pointer is removed from the ntfs. therefore i ask, if i "delete temporary internet files" without first scanning them (with od av or od antimalware), can the scumware contained therein still be active and...
August 21st 07 03:08 PM
by Ken Blake Go to last post
2 285
Installing a program requiring flexlm by topcat_au
I am trying to install a program requiring flexlm on windows vista. When I first try to install the flexlm license server I receive an error message (error 1920) stating it failed to start the server. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services. I am an administrator and I have tried to run the setup file as administrator but still it will not install. Can anyone...
August 21st 07 01:53 PM
by Pete Delgado Go to last post
1 184
Volume Limit by Kevin Hicks
Other users who use this computer listen to their (awful) music way too loud. My room is right next to the computer room and it's very hard to live this way. Is there any way of setting a volume limit or keep people from changing the volume?
August 21st 07 06:58 AM
by Kevin Hicks Go to last post
4 155
Administrator incorrectly denied access by sigmund
I have two administrator accounts, one is the default account and another is a user account that is a memeber of the administrator group. The default administrator account can access files that are set to be available to the administrators group. Also, when this account uses the "run" command, the user sees a message that the program that is started will be run with administrative rights....
August 21st 07 04:24 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 156
bitlocker via usb flash issue by mike
hi, trying to use vista's bitlocker drive encryption with my Asus P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard which has no TPM chip so i'm trying with encryption key on USB flash drive... have updated BIOS to latest non-beta version but still have no communication with flash drive before OS kicks in... any ideas to get communication with flash drive before OS boot ??? not much help at Asus site
August 21st 07 12:58 AM
by mike Go to last post
2 219
Unable to connect wireless connection via Mac Notebook by jrdiluigi
I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 531 with the Vista Operating System. Prior to this purchase, I was running an old Dell PC with a Wireless Router connected (LikySys). My wife uses a Mac Notebook, which she was able to connect to the internet via the wireless router. Since hooking up my new Dell with Vista, my wife is unable to connect to the internet on her Notebook. In addition,...
August 20th 07 10:44 PM
by jrdiluigi Go to last post
0 160
security update by David Jones
my system continually gets installation error for excell for the latest security update for office 2003 excell
August 20th 07 04:52 PM
by David Jones Go to last post
2 200
bitlocker... by mike
hi, i've got Vista Ultimate installed on a 1 partition, 1 volume drive... do i REALLY have to reinstall Vista after i create the needed 2nd volume for Bitlocker ??? thanks, mike.
August 19th 07 10:28 PM
by mike Go to last post
2 174
lost backup certificate- help! by Tonyguk
hi. i have vista ultimate and office enterprise running on my machine. one of my RAID array drives failed so i reinstalled on the remaining drive. Now my USB flashdrive which contains the security certificates for my work folder has crashed as well. Its the same machine (al be it with a different drive setup), the same vista and office installation etc. Is there any way i can access my...
August 19th 07 08:16 PM
by Tonyguk Go to last post
0 152
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by Julian
I understand the basic principle of not wanting programs to run unchecked. My problem is that I cannot even download certain programs, let alone install and then run them. I have a Cruzer thumb drive that prompted me that a Vista update was availabel, but when I clicked on the install link, I got a download dialogue box stating that it appears that I do not have administrative rights, so I...
August 19th 07 07:53 PM
by AJR Go to last post
1 133
Prepping for Patching... by Superfreak3
We just received our digital certificate and it appears that it has been added or applied to our all inclusive .msi installation package file accordingly. We now get the friendlier UAC prompt listing the app, company, etc. Now, what I would like to do is populate the msiPatchCertificate table as a precursor requirement for credential free patching. However, this seems to be dependent upon an...
August 19th 07 02:29 PM
by Adrian Accinelli Go to last post
6 181
Windows Defender by cdnmedic78
Do I need to download any spyware software when I already have windows defender?
August 19th 07 10:29 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
3 153
What's the advantage of Windows Defender? by Brian
Is it necessary to keep Windows Defender running if you've already got a third-party antivirus and firewall running? Does Defender do anything extra?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
August 19th 07 10:23 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
31 627
Difference in default Security settings across Vista Editions by Gayle
2 UAC Settings have been documented on their Explain tabs on Ultimate Edition as follows : 1. UAC: Behaviour of the elevation prompt for standard users Default: Prompt for credentials (home) / Automatically deny elevation requests (enterprise) 2. User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation Default: Enabled (home) / Disabled (enterprise)
August 19th 07 10:12 AM
by Gayle Go to last post
4 142
windows login password lost by toni
My friend has forgotten his password to logon to windows vista home premium, and he never used a disk to reset the password. Is there anyway he can bypass the account to reset the password or can he reboot the whole system from scratch. He's totally usless without his laptop. Thanks for your help
August 19th 07 05:17 AM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
3 133
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by bettyboop
-- bettyboopsblue "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post,
August 18th 07 09:54 PM
by Spirit Go to last post
1 112
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by bettyboop
I HAVEN'Tdone one thing to my program just installed it and here I am listening to you.I have been access denied and parameter wrong so many times today ,last night and yesterday.Everyone thinks they can help and I have tried everyones suggestions to NO avail.So YOU tell me when you can't change from one person back into the administrator because it only exists inside the UAC and there are...
August 18th 07 09:50 PM
by bettyboop Go to last post
0 137
Windows Defender Message at Startup by tjebme
When my PC boots up I always get the following Defender message : "An Application Registration change was made for a known application file : C:\Progarm Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe." What can I do to eliminate this? Isn't the MPCmdRun.exe file a Defender file? Everything runs fine, just trying to eliminate the inefficiency of Defender alerting me to itself. Thanks.
August 18th 07 04:27 PM
by Crazy Noddy Go to last post
3 131
Vista Enigma... by Superfreak3
I should start off by saying that I tried to post this yesterday, but it doesn't appear that it went through. Also, I am still in the midst of testing, but here is what is going on.... We have an application installation that we are prepping for Vista target systems. When testing the installation for Standard Users with UAC enabled, the process appears to complete successfully after supplying...
August 18th 07 04:20 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 158
Repair ACL by Richard Turnock
Either I or OneCare beta messed up the ACL for files in the System32 directory and now some services won't start. Is there a way to set the rights back to a default value?
August 18th 07 03:36 PM
by Richard Turnock Go to last post

From The