Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
The Security Service Cannot be Started by Damuffinator
I am running Vista x64 Several months ago I got a nasty trojan which removed the Security Center from my computer. I didn't think it as a big deal as I have several other anti-viruses installed, but I've come to a situation where I require windows firewall to be on. I've done an extensive search to find a thread on any forum that could help, but nothing yet.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 6th 09 07:11 AM
by No Name Go to last post
20 628
My experience with MSSE by Anton Kolakov
Downoaded MSSE for both XP and Win7 64bit. It runs fine on Win7 but on XP I am seeing as high as 100% cpu spike just from opening a folder. That is NFG Microsoft. Apart from that it seems good but would it have been too much trouble to give a quick right click menu item in the system tray to shut it down for us gamers? I created 2 .bat files that I can stop and start it with but I shouldn't...
October 6th 09 03:17 AM
by Antonio López de Santa Anna Go to last post
8 262
Administrator privileges for chkdsk by zonkd
I want to run chkdsk but vista says I need adminstrator clout to do it. This is in the command prompt, of course, so how can that be done, please? Cheers paul -- zonkd
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 6th 09 02:32 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
12 473
Unexpected Windows Update by HMT
My Vista Ultimate 64-bit Automatic Updates are set to notify and not download. The last Windows Update I got was Windows Defender two days ago and several restarts since. All other updates were current before that. I just restarted my PC and after the HP splash screen got a registry update message in the black screen area before Windows appears. I then got the typical message about...
October 5th 09 03:27 AM
by HMT Go to last post
4 288
What to make of Microsoft Security Essentials? by Doug[_9_]
On my conventional desktop Vista PCs I have been using ESET Smart security (supplemented by daily backups and occasional scans with Ad-Aware, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-malware), but with the emergence from beta yesterday of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)downloadable and free from: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/ I am wondering whether to settle for that...
October 5th 09 01:46 AM
by Anton Kolakov Go to last post
6 247
My experience with MSSE by Anton Kolakov
Downoaded MSSE for both XP and Win7 64bit. It runs fine on Win7 but on XP I am seeing as high as 100% cpu spike just from opening a folder. That is NFG Microsoft. Apart from that it seems good but would it have been too much trouble to give a quick right click menu item in the system tray to shut it down for us gamers? I created 2 .bat files that I can stop and start it with but I shouldn't...
October 5th 09 01:33 AM
by Anton Kolakov Go to last post
0 189
Administrator privileges for chkdsk by zonkd
I want to run chkdsk but vista says I need adminstrator clout to do it. This is in the command prompt, of course, so how can that be done, please? Cheers paul -- zonkd
October 4th 09 07:57 PM
by zonkd Go to last post
0 193
Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 by t-4-2[_99_]
Just notice today when checking for new updates. It was changed to auto update without my knowledge. I had it set at manual . The following was installed without my knowledge ; Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 Installation date: ‎10/‎3/‎2009 6:46 PM Installation status: Successful Update type: Important The Windows Update Agent enables your computer to search for and install updates from...
October 4th 09 04:30 PM
by Michael D. Ober Go to last post
2 206
Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 by t-4-2[_99_]
Just notice today when checking for new updates. It was changed to auto update without my knowledge. I had it set at manual . The following was installed without my knowledge ; Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 Installation date: ‎10/‎3/‎2009 6:46 PM Installation status: Successful Update type: Important The Windows Update Agent enables your computer to search for and install updates from...
October 4th 09 04:08 PM
by t-4-2[_99_] Go to last post
0 144
Have I been hacked by kadesigns
I am running Vista Ultimate x64. I have noticed in the events the following: I logon and then a special logon appears. In that special logon is the following: sesecurityprivilege setakeownershipprivilege seloaddriverpriv
October 4th 09 01:56 PM
by lemur Go to last post
2 222
Have I been hacked by kadesigns
I am running Vista Ultimate x64. I have noticed in the events the following: I logon and then a special logon appears. In that special logon is the following: sesecurityprivilege setakeownershipprivilege seloaddriverpriv
October 4th 09 01:49 PM
by kadesigns Go to last post
0 180
Unexpected Windows Update by HMT
My Vista Ultimate 64-bit Automatic Updates are set to notify and not download. The last Windows Update I got was Windows Defender two days ago and several restarts since. All other updates were current before that. I just restarted my PC and after the HP splash screen got a registry update message in the black screen area before Windows appears. I then got the typical message about...
October 3rd 09 09:42 PM
by HMT Go to last post
0 160
Am I being hacked? by rppb
I enter the Tiger Direct sweepstakes and the Lost Treasure sweepstakes.There is a second step to each sweepstakes.You receive an email from each and reply to complete the entry.For the last week I haven't received an email from either to complete the contest.I checked the spam filtered mail from Comcast.
October 3rd 09 10:41 AM
by rppb Go to last post
0 164
The Security Service Cannot be Started by Damuffinator
I am running Vista x64 Several months ago I got a nasty trojan which removed the Security Center from my computer. I didn't think it as a big deal as I have several other anti-viruses installed, but I've come to a situation where I require windows firewall to be on. I've done an extensive search to find a thread on any forum that could help, but nothing yet.
October 3rd 09 12:42 AM
by Damuffinator Go to last post
0 169
UAC - what does it mean in simple terms? by tryingtolearn
O/S Vista Home Basic 32 bit. I had some IE problems which were also interferring with my printer causing it not to print. MS/MVP, PA Bear, helped me solve the IE problem in the IE group, which in turn solved the printer not working problem. Now I just have 1 little glitch. The printer will NOT print as long as UAC is enabled but WILL print when UAC is turned off. I did post this question in...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
October 2nd 09 12:02 AM
by tryingtolearn Go to last post
32 831
Cartuchos R4i Ezflash y M3i Zero 53579 by amelt
Donde comprar cartuchos dsi, comprueba esta pagina web www.cartuchosdsi.es donde estan los distribuidores de r4i,ezflash y m3i zero. saludos Pedro nOmdBzlDvc)Qy!%_#(%E)#tFm
October 1st 09 09:34 PM
by amelt Go to last post
0 211
Security from keyloggers by Dave T.[_4_]
Anybody know for sure how "Drag and Drop" works in windows? Is the clipboard involved? If so, I assume a keylogger would still be able to pick this up, correct? I received an affirmative answer from someone who is probably very knowledgable, but am looking for confirmation from experts. Dave T.
October 1st 09 12:44 AM
by No Name Go to last post
2 183
Security from keyloggers by Dave T.[_4_]
Anybody know for sure how "Drag and Drop" works in windows? Is the clipboard involved? If so, I assume a keylogger would still be able to pick this up, correct? I received an affirmative answer from someone who is probably very knowledgable, but am looking for confirmation from experts. Dave T.
October 1st 09 12:07 AM
by Dave T.[_4_] Go to last post
0 161
Vista Firewall by Graham Newey
Until recentlyI've been a Win98SE man and had Zone Alarm Free firewall installed. Never a problem in nearly 10 years. Although fairly comp literate I've never really "got to grips" with the workings of FWs. Recently bought a new computer and the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium---64 bit. If I choose to install Zone Alarm Free, (which I have currently), should I
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 30th 09 11:05 PM
by Graham Newey Go to last post
14 360
What to make of Microsoft Security Essentials? by Doug[_9_]
On my conventional desktop Vista PCs I have been using ESET Smart security (supplemented by daily backups and occasional scans with Ad-Aware, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-malware), but with the emergence from beta yesterday of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)downloadable and free from: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/ I am wondering whether to settle for that...
September 30th 09 07:42 AM
by Doug[_9_] Go to last post

From The