Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Unable to join a domain with a Vista PC by Scott
When I attempt to add a domain to my Vista PC I get a pop up error box ComputerName/Domain Change The following error occurred attempting to join a domain. An attempt to resolve the dns name of the DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify the client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. This is working fine if I do it from a...
April 25th 07 09:09 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 167
Alternative to Windows Firewall by PTravel
As has been noted, the default for the Windows Vista Firewall is to NOT block out-going traffic. Though outbound blocking can be turned on, the Windows Firewall does NOT pop up a "Allow/Disallow" window for programs trying to send outbound traffic, as it does with programs accepting in-bound traffic. The only way to allow programs to send outbound traffic is to add a specific rule for each...
April 25th 07 08:47 PM
by PTravel Go to last post
7 205
Can't open udf on ie7 on vista Ultimate by Avr128p
Each time I try to open a pdf link on Vista Ultimate using IE or mozilla ,the pc stops and give err msg such as can't open file please update registry. pc is not working untill I kill the ie/mozilla. the only way for me to read those pdfs is to save target asto my pc and then to open. Any idea what to do in this case?? Thank you for your input Avi
April 25th 07 08:32 PM
by Doug Go to last post
2 160
external mail by [email protected]
when connected to my work email it will not allow me to reply to any messages
April 25th 07 08:31 PM
by Thomas H Go to last post
3 176
Permissions to manage printers and documents by Dave R.
How can I configure Vista Business so that a standard user account automatically gets permissions to manage printers and documents for all printers added to the system? After a printer is in stalled, an administrator can change the permissions for the printer to allow this, but I'm looking for a way for this to happen automatically. I've looked through the local security policies and group...
April 25th 07 07:19 PM
by Dave R. Go to last post
2 154
How to recover a Bitlocker key stored in AD? by BddWdsAdmin
Hi all, I am trying to recovery (as a test) the bitlocker key that was stored in AD I have extended the Ad schema and ran the ListAces.vbs from the Bitlocker guide and get the expected output. When I run this: cscript Get-BitLockerRecoveryInfo.vbs I do not get any output. Has anyone tried this with success?
April 25th 07 02:30 PM
by Josh Phillips Go to last post
1 191
security by kuldip
whenever i open a file i get a message, file download -security warning.How do i get rid of this warning.It ia annoying
April 25th 07 02:23 PM
by Josh Phillips Go to last post
1 155
Delete Pagefile on shutdown for security by intwtl
I have used PGP on XP and to ensure there are no footprints I set XP to delete the Pagefile on shutdown. Now that PGP is available for Vista I want to install it and again delete the pagefile on shutdown. Does anyone know how to accomplish this in Vista ? Thanks,
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 25th 07 12:14 AM
by AdrianSa Go to last post
22 419
cannot change local security policy by Steve Richter
I want to change the "password must meet complexity requirements" of my PC to "disabled". But the pushbutton is greyed. Why is it doing that?? My Vista PC is in the active directory domain of my 2nd PC, running windows server 2003. ( which I configured today. note to MSFT: configing your systems is very difficult and confusing!! ) on the Server PC I was able to change the password policy...
April 24th 07 10:12 PM
by Steve Richter Go to last post
8 193
Account locked by Alanj
Running Vista Business on a ThinkPad T43. The laptop is a member of a workgroup named workgroup. I am a consultant so I visit/authenticate to many different corp domains for use of printers, exchange, shares, etc. If I shutdown my laptop and move from one domain to another everything works fine. When I hibernate my laptop and move from one domain to another my account on the new domain...
April 24th 07 10:00 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 169
UAC - Desktop and Start Menu by Rich Bell
Why does Vista prompt for an Administrator password when I try to delete or move shortcuts on my desktop or within my start menu? A regular user should be able to control their own Desktop and Start menu. This is so intrusive it makes for an annoying experience. It appears that this only occurs with shortcuts that were placed there by the installer program (which required an Administrator to...
April 24th 07 09:02 PM
by QuenOHarts Go to last post
7 157
Parental Controls activity log only 7 days by Barrt Trotter
Is it possible to set up the parental controls "web sites visited" log for longer than 7 days? Barry Trotter
April 24th 07 02:28 PM
by Barrt Trotter Go to last post
0 121
IPsec question on vista by Leo_Wang
Hi! I have a question in vista. I am trying to set up IPsec policy on vista to create a VPN connection. I had seted up IPsec policy on WinXP successfully. But that same set up on vista, result is failure. I had tried to create a tunnel on windows firewall. I try to ping the node in the VPN but it reply Negotiating IP Security. What's the problem?
April 24th 07 01:49 PM
by Leo_Wang Go to last post
0 174
-- new partition -- by Edmundo J. Davila
Hi, I just bought a notebook with windows vista business installed. It has a 120GB hard disk with one primary partition of 120GB. I would like to create 3 partitions of 40GB each one. Is there a way to do this with the disk management of windows vista?, if it's possible, how do I do this? In advance thanks for your help. Edmundo J. Davila
April 24th 07 02:12 AM
by Rock Go to last post
2 146
Adding a pin after setting up bitlocker by Tony Linguini
The instructions are not quite clear. I set up bitlocker to be sure it would work on my system, the after reboot it automagically encrypted the disk. I wanted to use a pin. Are there specific instructions for doing this? Thank you.
April 24th 07 12:13 AM
by Tony Linguini Go to last post
3 164
Sidebar triggers DEP error message by Nat_W
Upon startup, Windows Sidebar fails to start with a message that it is closing due to an error. When I click to find more info the DEP explanation box pops up implying that Sidebar triggered a DEP event. What's going on with that? I am using Home Premium preloaded on a new Dell Dimension E520.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 23rd 07 05:10 PM
by Zarra Go to last post
10 245
With Windows Vista I can only ping my gateway but not another PC by Scott
I am Using Windows Vista and I can only Ping my gateway. When I try to Ping another PC in my network I am unable to ping. This is working fine with Windows XP. I have even turned the firewall off on my Vista Machine and I am still having no luck. Any suggestions to correct this issue would be appreciated.
April 23rd 07 03:45 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 147
common vista incident. is it a problem? by nweissma
32 bit vista home premium. control panelproblem reports and solutions. "Service Admin Works Agent X8 hung on starting" is a common incident., and has been so for 5 weeks. notwithstanding that I have no idea what awServ.exe is, to what extent might this cause a problem -- might it indicate an infection? be the cause for the unceremonious cessation of onecare's firewall, or windows defender...
April 23rd 07 01:33 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
1 149
Network by Martine
Is my network secure just through having it WEP enabled?
April 23rd 07 01:30 PM
by Hayman Ezzeldin Go to last post
2 187
common vista incident. is it a problem? by nweissma
32 bit vista home premium. control panelproblem reports and solutions. "Service Admin Works Agent X8 hung on starting" is a common incident., and has been so for 5 weeks. notwithstanding that I have no idea what awServ.exe is, to what extent might this cause a problem -- might it indicate an infection? be the cause for the unceremonious cessation of onecare's firewall, or windows defender...
April 23rd 07 01:01 PM
by mikeyhsd Go to last post

From The