Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
file access help by 2frustrated
Hi guys, My laptop harddrive fails to load up vista and there are some very important items of coursework on my desktop that I stupidly forgot to back up. So I remove my laptop harddrive and plug it into my desktop as a secondary harddrive and lo and behold I can access my music and pictures etc. However, the important files that I need are still on the desktop. I can get into the users folder...
December 7th 09 07:58 PM
by 2frustrated Go to last post
0 282
file access help by 2frustrated
Hi guys, My laptop harddrive fails to load up vista and there are some very important items of coursework on my desktop that I stupidly forgot to back up. So I remove my laptop harddrive and plug it into my desktop as a secondary harddrive and lo and behold I can access my music and pictures etc. However, the important files that I need are still on the desktop. I can get into the users folder...
December 11th 09 07:58 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
4 363
File not found - Defender by 2nickelstripper
::I have windows defender set to autostart at boot. It is frustratingly refusing to do so.:: :::: ::Downloaded autoruns to look at the auto start list, and while windows defender is definitely set to start at boot, there is a note saying the .exe file is not found.:: :::: ::Interestingly, the security center says defender has loaded, even though I know it has not.:: ::::
September 1st 07 06:24 PM
by Mamarec Go to last post
1 143
Event ID: 26 by 67phil
I get the following message in the System event log on my domain controller. this is a Vista Enterprise client logging into the domain. While processing an AS request for target service krbtgt, the account lsysamc did not have a suitable key for generating a Kerberos ticket (the missing key has an ID of 2). The requested etypes were 18. The accounts available etypes were 23 -133 -128 3...
January 26th 07 12:36 PM
by 67phil Go to last post
0 145
Winows Firewall by 8-Ball
Every time I check my firewall options, the firewall is 'off' and in red. I continue to turn it back on, but when I check it again later; it is off again. Could this be a virus, something serious? or is it a setting that I need to change?
April 2nd 08 05:48 AM
by mikecabq Go to last post
9 793
IP Address by 8-Ball[_2_]
So, from what i have read, an ip address can be traced to an individual computer... Is there any software program or hardware equipment out there that will forever hide/scramble my ip address from all other users on the internet? im not at all that tech savvy (so, simple answers please) and question number two: can the ip address of a computer be confirmed (or matched or whatever) if the...
July 29th 08 03:54 AM
by Mel K Go to last post
2 269
DELETE files FOREVER? by 8-Ball[_2_]
Ok, so when I delete something it goes to the recycle bin. When I delete something from the recycle bin it is gone forever. -THINK AGAIN- I deleted somthing from the recycle bin and got it back a few days later...I also found a ton so stuff I was told was "deleted" forever by Windows. I brought it back (using some uber-simple free program) just to see it it was really there (not just a file...
March 29th 08 11:50 PM
by FromTheRafters Go to last post
8 521
Bloodhound.Exploit.13 by @@@lgyys
Hi I have Vista Home Premium with Norton Internet Security.I downloaded Samsung PC Studio software to transfer my pictures from the phone to the computer.I can open them,watch(on WPG) ,but if i want to edit-can't save the changes: The table come's up: auto block have blocked Bloodhound.Exploit.13. Any scans doesn't find anything. Pictures on the computer and new pictures what i do transfer from...
February 14th 09 10:35 PM
by @@@lgyys[_4_] Go to last post
5 299
What is 'Mia.lib'? by @@@lgyys[_6_]
Hi. I have changed recently my AV from Norton to Kaspersky. And full scan shows that there are 3 vulnerebility files, moderately dangerous: c:\Program Data\{83C91755-2546-441D-AC40-9A6B4B860800}\mia.lib c:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\mia95DA.tmp\mia.lib c:\Users\All Users\{83C91755-2546-441D-AC40-9A6B4B860800}\mia.lib I checked all downloaded programs at that day, thats AdAwareAE, (anniversary...
March 2nd 09 10:20 PM
by @@@lgyys[_7_] Go to last post
2 272
Remote desktop blocked by DEP by @ndyB
Hi there, I've recently installed Vista Ultimate (final version), from the MSDN subscription site. On a whole I'm quite impressed with it, few driver issues and a few other niggles one of which is that it won't let me run Remote desktop. Keep getting the message that it's been blocked by DEP (Data execution prevention) yet it won't allow me to turn off DEP for this particular
December 5th 06 02:12 AM
by G@ryG Go to last post
2 599
windows defender screwed up by a
It's giving me a constant message to check for definition updates, and when I do says there are no new ones. The last installed August 5. What's going on? Thanks, John
August 27th 08 11:33 PM
by WildEagle Go to last post
3 198
How do I delete protected registry keys/hives? by A L
Hello- I'm having an issue with USB devices showing up as "unknown device." The old WinXP solution was to delete a particular bunch of keys. This problem is driving me a bit nutty- I'd like to delete those keys in Vista. Vista is preventing me from deleting the keys though. I try to add Administrator to the user writes and set the key to allow Full Control for the Administrator account,...
January 10th 07 05:16 PM
by A L Go to last post
5 136
Unable to delete Vista RC2 installation on another hard drive by A L
Hello- I just upgraded to RTM on my main drive. I'd like to delete the folders for a Vista RC2 installation that's on another drive. I've (temporarily) turned off UAC, given ownership of the folder to the Administrators group (which my account is a member of) and given the Admin group Full Control. I still get a "You need permission to perform this action" dialog when I attempt to...
January 8th 07 03:40 AM
by A L Go to last post
2 169
Login Screen by A Lake
Are we stuck with the new Vista login screen, where you have the last user automatically displayed, or you select to choose another user? This seems very longwinded, and as I work in a school the last user account will simply be locked out after multiple login attempts. We use Xp and don't show the last user login for that very reason. Is there any way to change the login screen (in a...
November 16th 06 02:45 PM
by Ben Miller Go to last post
1 159
2 Icon for every user by A-B-C
Hi, My Vista computer logon shows 2 icons for every user e.g. 2 icons for Admin, 2 icons or User-A and 2 Icons for user User-B (only one account was created for all of them). When I switch users, it also shows 2 icons for user-A are logged on. Is there a fix for this? Cheers
October 15th 07 12:20 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
2 155
Virus infection by A.
Hi If I where to put a CD with a virus on it in my computer, could my computer be infected if I only explore the top level of the files, and don't execute any exe files? I also have Kaspersky AV installed as well. If I'm not mistanken I have to actuelly run an exe file to execute a virus, or am I wrong? /A
February 12th 08 06:45 AM
by A. Go to last post
6 268
Windows Defender by A. Chung
I note that my Windows Vista Home Basic is equipped with a real-time malware protection provided by Windows Defender. Will there be any adverse effect on my home PC if an additional real-time anti-spyware is installed as double protection? I understand that such addition is not recommended for an anti-virus tool.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 29th 08 04:36 PM
by Robinb Go to last post
13 430
what does Windows Defender really protects and scans for? by A.H.
What does Windows Defender really protects and scans for? Does Windows Defender protects against all the known virus, spyware & adware? That means I no longer need Norton or MacAfee or Micro Trend Antivirus?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 18th 09 04:23 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
68 1,775
Certificate Enrollment Error by A.J. Breimer
When enrolling for a certificate from a Longhorn certificate server on Vista RC2 (build 5744) via the web interface, the following error pops-up: "An unexpected error (0x000001A8) occurred while getting the CSP list" The functionality was correctly working on Vista Beta 2. Bob Breimer
October 10th 06 03:18 PM
by A.J. Breimer Go to last post
0 607
Not Yet Classified on Windows Defender by Aaron
I keep getting the message about Bullguard Internet Security being blocked by Windows Defender on startup, I have tried taking it off startup and putting it back on but still comes up. Any ideas on how I can start it up and get it permitted like my other programmes, it has only started doing it in the past week.
January 7th 08 04:25 PM
by Jesper Go to last post

From The