Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread Reverse Sort Order / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
"Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog" by Kdunn44011
I'm running Vista Home premium on a HP dv9743cl laptop. If I let the computer stand idle for 3-5 minutes the computer freezes up and I get the error message, "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog." At that point I have to use the power button to turn the computer off. I've run a virus check (Norton 2009) and chkdsk/f and no errors are listed. Does anyone know...
February 1st 09 09:10 PM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
1 260
"Lost Files" by dpm
If not the correct group for this question, maybe someone could direct me to another group please........... Using Vista. I have both file deletion and shredder programs and file recover programs. For files that were deleted just thru windows I can recover many of them thru a recovery program and they are called "lost files". I understand this to mean the body is there but the naming is gone....
July 15th 09 09:37 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
2 167
"No right" to run a pw recovery program by Aristide de la Tanne
On a new PC with preinstalled Vista Home Premium, I tried to install the password recovery tool Revelationv2 from www.snadboy.com. It failed with the error of not recognizing some helper dll. Then I tried to copy the main revelation.exe from a usb stick to the desktop. But it refuses since I "do not have the right to do so". However, that does not happen with other exe files. I even cannot look...
October 12th 07 06:01 PM
by Aristide de la Tanne Go to last post
0 194
"quicken background agent" / "quicken scheduled updates" blocked in Vista Options by markm75
WIth quicken 2007, the scheduled updates file gets blocked by Vista (defender).. with no real way to unblock it.. has anyone found any workarounds to this? Right now the only way around is to right click the blocked apps icon by the time and run it manually after bootup there. Cheers
June 16th 07 01:10 AM
by markm75 Go to last post
0 104
"Request New Certificate" is missed from Certificates snap-in by Viktor Jevdokimov
Hello, I use Windows Vista Business OEM (genuine). Windows Vista Help has a statement, that using Certificates snap-in in MMC one can right-click under "Current User\Personal" folder and select "All Tasks Request New Certificate" to request a new certificate and so on. But it is missed! Checked with Administrator user, with the user in Administrators group - no way. I can't find the...
May 21st 08 02:25 PM
by sgilmour[_3_] Go to last post
4 209
"run as admin" grayed out by daistheputrid
im trying to run pcsx2 on my vista u-64 gateway and for some reason the run as admin(the only way to run it) on my shorcut is grayed out whats up with that -- daistheputrid
June 1st 09 09:40 PM
by daistheputrid Go to last post
3 148
"run as administrator" box is greyed out??? by Squa190
I have a program that needs to be run as administrator. In the compatibility box the "Run as Administrator is greyed out and can't be clicked. Is this normal and how do I fix it??? I am the only user on the computer and an administrator. I am listed as the owner of the file already if that helps. -- Squa190
November 7th 08 05:12 PM
by Squa190 Go to last post
2 236
"Run As" application by Or Tsemah
Hi. Can someone please tell me: If i'm an admin on the system, but wants to run the dsa.msc (For example) as a different user (One which has privileges on the domain), how can i do this without changing UAC ? 2. How can i run login scripts for now on if i can't use RunAs command without specifing a password (In other words, automatically) ? Thanks. --
March 20th 07 10:58 PM
by Trev Go to last post
8 210
"Run this program as an administrator" always grayed out by developer_dan
The checkbox to "Run this program as an administrator" under the Compatibility tab of an .exe's properties is always grayed out. I did a search for executable files and randomly checked about 15 different applications, located in a variety of folders (C:\Program Files, Program Files (x86), C:\HP, etc). I am running Vista Ultimate 64 on an HP Pavillion notebook which I just purchased. I disabled...
December 10th 07 02:33 AM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
8 118
"rundll32 stopped working" when trying to access the Security Cent by fitment
I am getting the same message in Vista RC 1 when I try to open the security center; it crashes and I get a message "rundll32 stopped working" and there is not a solution given. What gives, has anyone found a fix for this yet?
January 25th 07 01:18 AM
by fitment Go to last post
0 133
"security settings do not allow activeX" by memelon
I have windows vista and windows One Care. I play games on the computer and just recently, games that I have played for more than 4 years suddenly prompt a message that says that my security settings to not allow ActiveX in some programs. I don't use the Windows Firewall, only the One Care since two firewalls could conflict with one another. This is really starting to get on my nerves...
June 7th 08 10:22 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
1 194
"select Name,Path from Win32_Share" permissions required by ASP.NET to return paths, by developers2008
I'm tripping over ASP.NET local machine permissions with the following on an inside the firewall app: ListSharePathEntry allLocalShares = new ListSharePathEntry(); // a container for share=local path string pairs WqlObjectQuery objectQuery = new WqlObjectQuery ("select Name,Path from Win32_Share��) ; ManagementScope scope = new ManagementScope(@\\.\root\cimv2);...
September 2nd 08 02:33 AM
by developers2008 Go to last post
0 236
"this operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this computer" by Phil
Vista Ultimate x64, Outlook 2003 and IE7: Whenever I click on a link in my Outlook inbox, I receive an error message "this operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this computer". How can I change this? It's frustrating to have to copy and paste links into IE7. I running as the Admin. Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 28th 09 12:59 PM
by Wondering How Go to last post
12 797
"Training" UAC to eliminate repeated messages requiring replies by Steve Samson
I don't mind replying to the super-dramatic black screen message the first time, but it gets a little old the 50th time. Examples include: - Starting anything as "Run as Administrator" - Starting anything that isn't on the hidden "OK" list Firewall programs are very good at remembering what you told them the last time, but Vista does not seem to be able to do this. Is there any way to define...
February 25th 08 11:52 PM
by Mark[_5_] Go to last post
5 223
"Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance by Frez121212
The issue is, I'm using symantec antivirus on Vista Ultimate 64 bit (biggest mistake of my life to put 64 bit btw) and one day it just started finding dozens of viruses in my C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp Sometimes its autoprotect, sometimes its Defwatch scan, sometimes it quarantines, sometimes it "leaves alone", 2wice it said reboot required, sometimes it says "delete was partially...
October 30th 09 01:57 AM
by Frez121212[_2_] Go to last post
3 299
"Trojan" in Appdata/local/temp.. annoying and killing my performance by Frez121212
The issue is, I'm using symantec antivirus on Vista Ultimate 64 bit (biggest mistake of my life to put 64 bit btw) and one day it just started finding dozens of viruses in my C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp Sometimes its autoprotect, sometimes its Defwatch scan, sometimes it quarantines, sometimes it "leaves alone", 2wice it said reboot required, sometimes it says "delete was partially...
October 29th 09 11:38 PM
by Frez121212 Go to last post
0 196
"Unclassified software" warning in event viewer by Uncle Ko
Hi all, After installation of my product Vista creates a Warning in the Event Viewer saying that I should check the software and decide if I trust it or not. Looked through the article "Keep Windows Vista Secure with Windows Defender" at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/community/windowsdefender.mspx, and it seems my software is just not in the Defender's "base", so it considers my...
August 9th 07 03:02 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
6 234
"User account control - Windows needs your permission to continue" by Pekka Numminen
Is it possible - if so, how - to disable the boxes asking to verify running a program or do administrative tasks and let Vista do the tricks without confirmation? Example: http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/files/imported/help/faqs/connection/vpn/vista11.png
September 4th 08 06:06 PM
by Spirit Go to last post
3 212
"User Profile has failed to Load" error by Endulini
Hi, I'm getting the above error whenever I try and access my administrator account in Vista and can't get into the profile at all. Booting in Safe Mode gets me in and I'm able to see that the account has been changed to 'Backup' for some reason but I'm unable to change anything. As it's the administrator account I'm unable to set up any new profiles to try and get around it. Using System...
August 30th 10 07:40 PM
by Endulini Go to last post
0 526
"Vista Service Pack 1 testers requested" by EU XP user
According to several reputable sources ( http://apcmag.com/5098/microsoft_kick_starts_vista_sp1) MSFT is looking for Vista SP1 testers, even before Vista launches. Quote: --- " The company has put out a call for "customers and partners (to) actively test and provide feedback on Windows Vista SP1 to help us prepare for its release in the second half of CY07 (calendar year 2007)."
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 29th 07 02:30 AM
by thetruthhurts @homail.com Go to last post

From The