Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Reverse Sort Order Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views
When can we expect Vista RC1? by Pushkar
Hi, When can we expect Windows Vista RC1 for MSDN sunscribers? Thanks, Pushkar
September 3rd 06 06:05 AM
by Roy Coorne Go to last post
3 544
New computer virus? Steve Irwin by cpu
With all the interest surrounding the death of Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Hunter" someone is bound to write a computer virus as an email attachment with the subject: "Steve Irwin death leaked video" Or click a link to some dodgy web site. Be careful.
September 5th 06 09:31 AM
by cpu Go to last post
0 489
Simple way to reduce UAC prompts without reducing security by Roof Fiddler
For administrator-level accounts, for which the default behavior of build 5536 for running programs as administrator is to prompt for user confirmation but not require entry of a password, there are supposedly two separate goals: 1. To remind the user that he's about to run a program with which he could accidentally screw stuff up. 2. To prevent running processes from elevating their own...
September 5th 06 08:50 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 481
Finding a user's total writeable namespace by Roof Fiddler
How do I obtain a list of all the places that a non-administrator user can possibly stuff his data, including all of the files and directories on all disks to which he has write access and all of the registry locations to which he has write access? Also, by default, does as new non-administrator user have write access to any area of the system disk's filesystem besides his home directory...
September 5th 06 08:53 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 463
Preventing simple local DOS attacks by Roof Fiddler
After years of Microsoft reengineering Windows with an emphasis on security, I still see no way to give a user an account on my computer without also giving him the ability to (accidentally or intentionally) perform very effective DOS attacks by allocating gobs of memory, with the result that switching users or performing any tasks under any other user accounts is so dreadfully slow that I...
September 5th 06 08:55 PM
by Roof Fiddler Go to last post
0 456
File ownership for legacy installer programs by Roof Fiddler
If I run as an administrative user a legacy installer program for a program which stores user settings and data in its own directory, then the files and directories it creates are owned by and accessible to that user, and the program runs correctly as that user. But if I run the installer as a regular user, and then enter an admin user's password in the UAC dialog when the program needs to...
September 6th 06 01:07 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 565
How do I explicitly cause a UAC elevation prompt? by Kevin Southern
I am writing an application that needs to run from a CD without undergoing an installation of any software to the user's system. I need administrative rights to the machine, since I will need to install drivers as part of my operation. However, I have the following constraints: 1) I do not want to assemble and maintain an MSI installer. 2) I need to run on an "out of the box" WinXP-SP2 & ...
September 7th 06 08:42 PM
by Kevin Southern Go to last post
2 534
Windows Vista Security Guide Beta by Derick Campbell (MSFT)
The Windows Vista Security Guide has been released to Beta exclusively through Microsoft Connect. It is available to anyone who signs in with a Windows Live ID (formerly Passport) account at this URL: https://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=820&InvitationID=VSG-P74P-BFTH&SiteID=14. The Beta period will last for three weeks, during which we’ll be accepting and triaging...
September 6th 06 08:01 PM
by Derick Campbell (MSFT) Go to last post
0 494
Windows Vista Security Guide Beta Release by Derick Campbell (MSFT)
The Windows Vista Security Guide has been released to Beta exclusively through Microsoft Connect. It is available to anyone who signs in with a Windows Live ID (formerly Passport) account at this URL: https://connect.microsoft.com/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=820&InvitationID=VSG-P74P-BFTH&SiteID=14. The Beta period will last for three weeks, during which we’ll be accepting and triaging...
September 8th 06 03:49 AM
by Wayne McGlinn Go to last post
5 522
NAP by Or Tsemah
I have a simple question. How does the NAP Health server directs me to a quarnatined Network when my health certificate is inadiquate? Does it tells my DHCP Server to change my IP? Or maybe tells the switch hardware to move me to a VLAN? Thanks. Or.
September 4th 06 01:36 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 620
Security Centre wrongly reports dual antivirus programs by Spirefm
My security centre is reporting that dual antivirus programs are installed and switched OFF - PC-cillin (which WAS installed) & AVG (which IS installed and switched ON) How can I correct this error? (I've posted a bug report) Colin
September 3rd 06 04:57 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
0 495
5536: Run CMD prompt as admin issue by Paul Russell
anyone else seeing the command prompt shell item not being able to "run as admin" .. .b asically it willl not kick up UAC prompting ..
September 3rd 06 05:48 PM
by Tony Hoyle Go to last post
3 512
Trend Micro PC-Cillin by James
Does this work with build 5536 because when i try and install it, it gets to Installing Firewall andthen just stays like taht for ages.
September 6th 06 01:41 PM
by Conor Go to last post
4 512
UAC configuration ? by Bill U
I believe I saw a link to some documentation about configuring UAC but I can no longer find it. Could someone point me to some documentation that will allow me to configure UAC and remove some of the frustration before I turn it off for good? Thanks for any help.
September 3rd 06 09:35 PM
by Bill U Go to last post
2 547
UAC configuration ? by Bill U
I believe that someone posted a link to some UAC configuration information that looked useful, but I can no longer find it. Could someone please direct me to some documentation that will help me avoid some of my current frustration with UAC, before I turn it off for good. Thanks.
September 2nd 06 05:22 PM
by Bill U Go to last post
0 527
Trend Micro PC-cillin 14.56 problem... by HPM
Receiving same message - unable to get it to work. Reinstalled both Vista (RC-1) and PC-cillin. Emailed Trend Micro for help. TIA "ntgeek" wrote in message ... Has anybody else been getting the following error message when attempting to update PC-cillin 14.56?
September 5th 06 03:31 AM
by HPM Go to last post
5 574
Trend Micro PC-cillin 14.56 problem... by STAINLESS
"astro999" wrote: This morning I tried to update again PC-cillin and it worked, you're right it was on there servers.However I am glad I read this because there is a new build 14.56 for Windows Vista.So I downloaded it just like Michael said followed his instructions and it works just fine.No problems.Thank you for this information. -- Thank you astro999
September 2nd 06 07:21 PM
by STAINLESS Go to last post
0 513
Trend Micro PC-cillin 14.56 problem... by STAINLESS
Hi Folks! I'm a new Vista user as of 9/1/06. I downloaded and installed the 14.56 version and have not had a successful update yet. It downloads about 75% of the update and then gives me the error msg. #28 internet connection. Glad to know that the problem is on their end. I'll keep trying. "astro999" wrote: This morning I tried to update again PC-cillin and it worked, you're right it ...
September 2nd 06 07:24 PM
by STAINLESS Go to last post
0 467
Administrator on Vista by Spirefm
I cannot log in as Administrator in Safe Mode because it is disabled. Nor can I use the instructions listed above to enable it as I never get to see 'Local Security Settings' - that does not appear in Aministrative Tools. "Jane C" wrote: The password for the inbuilt Administrator account is blank ;) -- Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
September 3rd 06 03:09 PM
by Spirefm Go to last post
0 501
Setting up .NET v1.1 App on VISTA RC1 (b 5536) by Sekhar
I have spent almost 2 days figuring out a way to make my .NET 1.1 ASP.NET application run on IIS7 on Vista RC1 (b 5536) - in vein. I get this error message: ___________________________________________________________________ Security Exception Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required...
September 7th 06 05:18 PM
by Sekhar Go to last post

From The