Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can someone help me with windows defender. by karl
I just downloaded a bunch of application and did a lot of work on my computer. I do however, have samantic endpoint virus protection and did a couple of scans with no problems. When i try to open windows defender i am getting an error that says. Application failed to initialize: 0 x 800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start the service restart your computer or...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 30th 09 06:56 AM
by Brink Go to last post
21 682
linux usb drive by ted medin
I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to access it from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner is Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but the unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 29th 09 10:16 PM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
24 601
Password Length by GauerS
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why Microsoft limits password legth to 14 characters? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 29th 09 08:04 PM
by amlandreau[_2_] Go to last post
10 359
Drag-and-drop security by Dave T.[_4_]
Hi group! In terms of security, how does drag-and-drop function in windows? Is the clipboard involved? would a keylogger be able to record this? Pretty technical, too far above my head! To be more specific, I am setting up a password manager (Open source Keepass) that allows one to drag-and-drop encrypted passwords at the sites you have subscriptions to. This would seem to be secure. Any...
September 29th 09 02:40 AM
by Dave T.[_4_] Go to last post
0 160
Drag-and-drop security by Dave T.[_4_]
Hi group! In terms of security, how does drag-and-drop function in windows? Is the clipboard involved? would a keylogger be able to record this? Pretty technical, too far above my head! To be more specific, I am setting up a password manager (Open source Keepass) that allows one to drag-and-drop encrypted passwords at the sites you have subscriptions to. This would seem to be secure. Any...
September 29th 09 02:40 AM
by Dave T.[_4_] Go to last post
0 193
UAC - what does it mean in simple terms? by tryingtolearn
O/S Vista Home Basic 32 bit. I had some IE problems which were also interferring with my printer causing it not to print. MS/MVP, PA Bear, helped me solve the IE problem in the IE group, which in turn solved the printer not working problem. Now I just have 1 little glitch. The printer will NOT print as long as UAC is enabled but WILL print when UAC is turned off. I did post this question in...
September 29th 09 12:10 AM
by tryingtolearn Go to last post
0 169
Question: IE8 and 128-bit encryption by PA Bear [MS MVP]
IE 64-bit on your Vista 64-bit computer has nothing to do with browser encryption. What does IE Help | About list under Cipher Strength? Zeabed wrote: Pleading crass ignorance here, but have searched for info on this issue
September 29th 09 12:01 AM
by Zeabed Go to last post
2 190
Vista Firewall by Graham Newey
Until recentlyI've been a Win98SE man and had Zone Alarm Free firewall installed. Never a problem in nearly 10 years. Although fairly comp literate I've never really "got to grips" with the workings of FWs. Recently bought a new computer and the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium---64 bit. If I choose to install Zone Alarm Free, (which I have currently), should I
September 28th 09 10:48 PM
by Graham Newey Go to last post
0 144
Question: IE8 and 128-bit encryption by PA Bear [MS MVP]
IE 64-bit on your Vista 64-bit computer has nothing to do with browser encryption. What does IE Help | About list under Cipher Strength? Zeabed wrote: Pleading crass ignorance here, but have searched for info on this issue
September 28th 09 10:07 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 136
Firewall. by FromZeroToHero
Can someone tell me how can i make a firewall on vista so a proggram cant get in the internet..????answer as soon as possible plz... -- FromZeroToHero
September 28th 09 12:06 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post
4 215
Bitlocker with USB + PIN only, without TPM. Possible? by leesiulung
I want to only use USB key + PIN. Why? Although technically the PIN is stored on the USB KEY as 6 sets of 8 digits, if I accidentally leave the USB key in. Anyone can boot up computer. With a 4 digit pin, this might take a little longer. So, is USB Key + PIN possible? Since, all the official documents point to not possible, I'm wondering if I'm heading in the wrong direction. --
September 26th 09 11:44 PM
by leesiulung Go to last post
0 191
Bitlocker with USB + PIN only, without TPM. Possible? by leesiulung
I want to only use USB key + PIN. Why? Although technically the PIN is stored on the USB KEY as 6 sets of 8 digits, if I accidentally leave the USB key in. Anyone can boot up computer. With a 4 digit pin, this might take a little longer. So, is USB Key + PIN possible? Since, all the official documents point to not possible, I'm wondering if I'm heading in the wrong direction. --
September 26th 09 11:44 PM
by leesiulung Go to last post
0 127
Running a batch file by Timbo
Please, please can some one help me... I am trying to run a batch file in vista as an administrator. I know I can use the RUNAS command, but this prompts me for a password. (and what password is a mystery to me as it's a non domain machine and there isn't a user called administrator, but that's besides the point). What I am looking to do is to replicate the behaviour of Right Clicking on...
September 25th 09 09:10 PM
by Bob Go to last post
8 341
Running a batch file by Timbo
Please, please can some one help me... I am trying to run a batch file in vista as an administrator. I know I can use the RUNAS command, but this prompts me for a password. (and what password is a mystery to me as it's a non domain machine and there isn't a user called administrator, but that's besides the point). What I am looking to do is to replicate the behaviour of Right Clicking on...
September 25th 09 03:25 PM
by Timbo Go to last post
0 137
Firewall. by FromZeroToHero
Can someone tell me how can i make a firewall on vista so a proggram cant get in the internet..????answer as soon as possible plz... -- FromZeroToHero
September 25th 09 10:42 AM
by FromZeroToHero Go to last post
0 136
require user to Ctrl+Alt+Del to enter Vista Business by Jeff[_24_]
I've got a new laptop running Vista Business. Once I booted the machine, I went into Advanced User, and saw that the option to require users to Ctrl+Alt+Delete was greyed out. I proceeded to join the pc to the domain, and when the screen came up it was at sign-on, no Ctrl-Alt-Del. I launched gpedit.msc on the laptop and changed the Interactive login: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL to disabled....
September 24th 09 08:13 PM
by Jeff[_24_] Go to last post
0 175
require user to Ctrl+Alt+Del to enter Vista Business by Jeff[_24_]
I've got a new laptop running Vista Business. Once I booted the machine, I went into Advanced User, and saw that the option to require users to Ctrl+Alt+Delete was greyed out. I proceeded to join the pc to the domain, and when the screen came up it was at sign-on, no Ctrl-Alt-Del. I launched gpedit.msc on the laptop and changed the Interactive login: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL to disabled....
September 24th 09 08:13 PM
by Jeff[_24_] Go to last post
0 172
Data Execution Prevention Error in Internet Explorer by richardmacarthy
http://hubpages.com/hub/Data-Execution-Prevention-Internet-Explorer Try looking here, I have written an article on this subject and how to fix it. -- richardmacarthy ------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 24th 09 08:10 PM
by richardmacarthy Go to last post
0 150
Data Execution Prevention Error in Internet Explorer by Monzaman
dmex I am also having the same problem, however the (Memory Protection option in Internet Explorer options) is checked and greyed out. It won't let me uncheck it. Do you have any other solutions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you -- Monzaman
September 24th 09 05:25 PM
by Monzaman Go to last post
0 168
Request UAC elevation at runtime by John Daintree
Hello all, I have an application that may, depending on user actions, require elevation. Is it possible, at runtime, from within the program, to request elevation? So the sequence would be: 1) Start program (not elevated)
September 24th 09 12:24 PM
by John Daintree Go to last post

From The