Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Defender & Tracking Cookies by Paul
Does defender block tracking cookies?
April 7th 07 05:20 AM
by nweissma Go to last post
4 191
Problems with VISTA and smart card login by Jesper
Has anyone had any experience with VISTA and Navy & Marine Corp Intranet (NMCI) smart card DOD CAC cards. VISTA sees the smart card when inserted but say it is unable to read it. Wondering if I could use my DOD CAC card with PKI certs to login to a VISTA laptop equiped with a smart card reader to improve security. First, that will only work if your domain controller has DOD PKI...
April 7th 07 01:24 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
0 155
Transferring Trusted Sites List by PA Bear
Forwarded to Vista General and Security newsgroups via crosspost. -- ~PA Bear Fallstar wrote: I am going to upgrade (clean install) to Vista soon. Is there a way to back-up my security settings, and especially my Trusted Sites list, to be moved/transferred to the new install of IE7? I know there is "Windows Easy Transfer", but it does not specify Security
April 7th 07 12:16 AM
by Fallstar Go to last post
2 227
Blocked outgoing mail by Terri
I just downloaded stationery from Microsoft for Windows Mail. When I tried to send an email using the new stationery, my McAfee security blocked it. How do I fix this? Terri
April 6th 07 07:36 PM
by Terri Go to last post
2 155
Off Topic, but . . . . OneCare by Imageman
Pardon my off topic post, but I have to vent somewhere after waiting on the phone for eon's to speak to a Microsoft representative. You can no longer cancel subscriptions to Microsoft products (in this case, OneCare) on line, and you have to call customer service. Of course there is a barrage of sales crap on the phone while you are waiting, and waiting, and waiting. This was my third...
April 6th 07 07:00 PM
by Bencky Go to last post
3 234
Remote installation fails on create subfolder below c:\windows\winsxs by Rolf
My software distribution tool fails because of it is not able to create subfolders below c:\windows\winsxs I saw, that only the group trustedinstaller can create objects here. What is the best pratice here to allow my remote installation tool to create the subfolders needed to run the application. Thanks
April 6th 07 06:34 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 167
DEP in Vista by PA Bear
Forwarded to Vista Security newsgroup via crosspost. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User) AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org Kathy wrote: DEP keeps shutting Internet Explorer down. Here's the "problem signature". Anything I can do to make it stop? I've tried turning it "off". IE is all it
April 6th 07 06:26 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 156
Suspect Service/Software by michael s
Hi there, I have a service running that points to an exe file in my windows temp dir, every time I end the service the exe file disappears and will reappear later, every time the file appears it has a different file name. e.g. FA31DC.exe normally after ending the service 3 or 4 times it doesnt start up again for quite some time unless I reboot the system. I have Trend Micro installed and...
April 6th 07 03:16 PM
by Malke Go to last post
4 230
Error with Windows Defender - cant update definition by Øyvind Andersen
I got Vista Ultimate and have an error: Windows Defender cant update ?I got an error saying that security center cant update definition for Windows defender ?
April 6th 07 01:54 AM
by fireplug1 Go to last post
1 171
Advanced user by Ana
Hi, How to create an advanced user just like it was done on XP? I've an aplication which ran fine on XP (as advanced user) but is not on my vista. TIA Ana
April 6th 07 12:28 AM
by Rock Go to last post
2 196
ZA beta f/w by CZ
FYI New beta released: http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/index.html
April 5th 07 10:33 PM
by CZ Go to last post
0 162
fingerprint and password by fingerprint and passwords
does anyone know how to put a password on as well as a fingerprint scanning thing? bcause i dont want my brother to get into my computer and his fingerprint works as well as mine so i want to put a passord on aswell......pls reply thanx
April 5th 07 09:33 PM
by Charlene Shepard [MSFT] Go to last post
1 189
Enable real Administrator & set password so I can install drivers/software? by Thomas H
Hello everyone, I've always used Windows as a "limited user". When I needed to update drivers, install software, or configure security, I would log in as the local Administrator, perform that work, and log back in as my limited user account. I planned to do the same at home with Vista- but after installing Vista Ultimate, I saw that it disabled the real Administrator account. I created...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 5th 07 05:26 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
13 384
Remote installation fails on create subfolder below c:\windows\winsxs by Rolf
My software distribution tool fails because of it is not able to create subfolders below c:\windows\winsxs I saw, that only the group trustedinstaller can create objects here. What is the best pratice here to allow my remote installation tool to create the subfolders needed to run the application. Thanks
April 5th 07 05:25 PM
by Rolf Go to last post
0 152
Trojan and Keylogger immediately after install by Young Mandy
Immediately after I install Vista Business (before I connect to the internet) one of my spyware checkers (XSOFT) finds two problems:- 1 PCTattletate File Keylogger C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe SEVERE RISK 2 Troj/Agent Host File Item Trojan local host Severe Risk XSOFT will not allow me to remove these as they are in use???? I have run three other spyware/virus checkers and not one of...
April 5th 07 03:18 PM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
7 164
BitLocker reports "an error occurred" during login by Matthew Sawyer
This past week, I've noticed that when I log in, Windows reports an error in the system tray via a tooltip. The tooltip's title is "an error occurred" and the descriptive text indicates that errors were detected on the disk and that chkdsk should be run. I ran chkdsk /f on my C drive, and the next time it rebooted, it indicated that no errors were detected. Still, each time I boot up, this...
April 5th 07 01:34 PM
by Matthew Sawyer Go to last post
0 162
Reclaiming partition 'S' by hitman
I ran the bitlocker tool but I don't want to use it after all. how would I go about reclaiming partition 'S'? thanks.
April 5th 07 04:14 AM
by hitman Go to last post
1 178
Delete Bitlocker Partition? by willbost
I tried to install Bitlocker on my laptop but it gave me an error message about not having TPM. I have seen the solution to use without TPM, but I do not want to be tied to a usb key. I also saw another post here that said to use Disk Managment to delete the partition that Bitlocker created. However, the option to format or delete this partition are grayed out and are not available....
April 5th 07 03:12 AM
by hitman Go to last post
5 190
Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification - April 2007 by Donna Buenaventura
On Tuesday 3 April 2007 Microsoft is planning to release: Security Updates * One Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft Windows. The highest Maximum Severity rating for these is Critical. These updates will require a restart. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 5th 07 12:59 AM
by PA Bear Go to last post
19 369
Live Onecare/ IE security bar issue of ActiveX control. by FunJester
OS Vista/ I use either MSN explorer or IE7.. I click on the bar and select run, then Live Onecare has to be installed, i install it, then it tells me to lauch Live onecare, so after i hit the launch button is when i get the bar that says "your web browser has blocked this site from using an ActiveX control in an unsafe manner, this page may not display correctly" Thats the part I don't get....
April 5th 07 12:36 AM
by FunJester Go to last post

From The