Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Turn off welcome screen. by Wojciech Nestorowicz
How turn off welcome screen and turn on old logon screen. -- Best regards Wojciech Nestorowicz www.chipset.c0.pl
December 26th 08 07:45 PM
by Tom Allen Go to last post
3 407
Need Advice to form outbound rule -Vista, WindowsMail and Symantec by homerat
I need help forming an outbound rule for the firewall in vista home premium 32 bit. I am using Windows Mail, and the Windows firewall, and Norton internet security 2008. I don't use the Norton Firewall. I have turned on the outbound firewall and have been creating rules for Firefox, Skype etc. this works ok. But Windows Mail is being blocked, because the virus scanner in Norton is not allowed...
December 27th 08 01:00 AM
by Kayman[_6_] Go to last post
3 392
McAfee Malware Not Recognized by Barbwire
Just got a new laptop and I keep getting an alert from Windows Security saying no malware protection.....I have McAfee and don't know how to get the alert to stop or to get it recognized. Help! Please! -- Barbwire
December 27th 08 01:25 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 389
Disk Encryption with TrueCrypt and Backups by Neil Jones[_2_]
Most companies these days are using disk encryption on their laptops. I am planning to use TrueCrypt for my laptop. The question I have now is about backups and the system restore procedures. I do my backups to an external disk and am assuming that the complete system backup is also going to be an encrypted image. My main concern is about the restore session. If I do have to restore my...
December 29th 08 09:10 AM
by darkassain Go to last post
4 401
What's a good security suite for Vista 64 home premium? by chas
Windows Live™ OneCare™ , Norton 360? or ??? Any thoughts or comparisons welcome. Thanks, Chas
December 30th 08 09:28 AM
by Donald L McDaniel[_5_] Go to last post
9 527
adware, threat level by t-4-2[_99_]
Hello everyone, I had recently downloaded some animated Smiles. My AV programs found adware in the Smiley program, namely MyWebSearch and Fun Web Products. The threat level ( scale 1- 10 ) is 1. I am not sure if I should or should not keep the Smiley program. Please advise. Thank you.
December 31st 08 05:23 PM
by David B.[_3_] Go to last post
7 428
How to configure shadow copy storage? by Neil Jones[_2_]
Hi, I was looking into the Event logs on my Vista system and found the following error message: "The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit." After I perform a disk clean and delete the shadow copies, my System
January 1st 09 12:11 AM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
3 368
Hhhheeelllppp by freshcool
i went away and so i locked one of my disk drives and also locked my user account so that a guest user wouldn't have access to any of my stuff. Now i came back and tried to log into my account and it wont let me so i went into guest user and tried to unlock from there but its saying system file cant be found. My password is working because some programs asked me for authorization and it worked...
January 1st 09 08:08 AM
by Jim Moriarty[_2_] Go to last post
9 462
ntuser.dat x2 with only 1 user, i think im infected!!! by husskii[_2_]
happy new year friends, i just formatted my comp & before i did i ran scans with spy-bot, win Onecare & McAfee just to make sure i had no infections. I also made sure i updated all antispyware & virus app & then did my scans whilst i was disconnected from the net. After i reinstalled, i installed Acronis Image Home11, which B4 i have installed with no prob's, but this time i decided to installed...
January 1st 09 10:21 AM
by husskii[_2_] Go to last post
0 419
Start up security error message. by Harry
Every time I start up my computer (wich now takes 3 minutes against 1 minute normally) I get the following security error message in the event log: Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains an error number. I have tried to solve this thru Google but without any luck. There have been no installations of new soft or hardware, and I...
January 2nd 09 08:05 AM
by Harry Go to last post
2 387
Not remembering log in details by arry
Hi guys :huh: I am using a HP laptop with Vista premium . My problem is that every time i visit a site i have to put in my log in details. The computer never remembers them. What do i need to do to get it to remember ?
January 2nd 09 04:40 PM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
2 435
Vista does not recognize Anti-Virus software by Frank Bright
Hi, (Note: I posted this on a general vista group before I discovered this security forum. Sorry for the double post)... I'm on Vista Home Premium and I've got Norton 2007.2 Anti-Virus software installed (it's Vista compatible). I've even done a successful, full virus scan. I installed the Norton 2007 just after the Vista upgrade. For some reason, Vista does not recognize the Norton program...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 2nd 09 08:33 PM
by f/fgeorge Go to last post
23 1,141
Newbie AUC Problem by PT[_2_]
Brand new Vista Ultimate 64 bit user. I try to open the C: Docs and Settings folder, so I can tweak and edit the Start Programs layout. I get an "access denied" message. I'm the sole user on the machine. I was given to understand that this is an AUC problem. I went to the Security Center, and I thought succeeded in turning off AUC. But after a restart, I'm still locked out of Docs and...
January 3rd 09 01:36 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
6 370
Security by doreilley[_4_]
Hi I was using Windows Live One for virus and security and it worked fine but trying to save the $60 I let it expire and had been using Windows Defender instead. It was working ok at least it came on when I turned it on but now it dosen't want to run at all. If I could get it running is this program good enough for virus and malware etc. or could you recomend something better to use. Dan I am...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 3rd 09 01:59 AM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
19 570
user profiles/ family safety by barnyb3
Hello all, I am new here so I'll explain as well as I can. I am administrator using admin account/. I have locked several drives from the guest account using security tab in properties. I installed family safety and windows live was set to auto complete the
January 3rd 09 02:30 AM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
2 265
Security Id's for "Program Files" folders? by Richard B
I had a strange thing happen to me yesterday that got me to investigating. One of my game programs, which I had just finished playing with a couple hours before, refused to start telling me that I did not have permission to start that program. I went to the program files folder to look at the security tab. It was true, my User Id (an Administrator) was not in the list of user names. I was...
January 3rd 09 02:35 AM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
1 270
Cannot run "Contig" (defrag tool) as Admin on Vista by Neil Jones[_2_]
I have a Vista Ultimate on my system. I want to defrag some specific directories/files, so I have downloaded "Contig" (sysinternals toolset) from the Microsoft site. When I try to run this tool as normal user I got "Access Denied" message. I have logged in as the System Administrator and got the same "Access Denied" message. How can I run the "Contig" tool on Vista? What are the proper...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 3rd 09 02:44 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
11 453
Book Recommendation ?? (on Vista Firewall) by bagassa
Good afternoon everyone, I'm looking for a good book recommendation : I am a beginning admin and have just learned (and am "playing" with) TCP, UDP, IP,ICMP,CIDR, the OSI model, ect. Is there a good book that will show a person like me how to set up, maintain, and test the Windows Vista firewall ? Thanks
January 3rd 09 02:48 AM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
4 655
RemoteDesktop: are admin privileges different? by Beemer Biker
NETCOP-DISCLAIMER: yea, sorry I posted in .general first Have run into a strange behavior and am trying to figure out what is happening. If I reboot a home vista 64 system from my office over RDP, the nVidia coprocessor (CUDA object) is no longer recognized and tasks that are supposed to run on it will not start. I have to go home and cycle the power. This does not happen if I am at home and...
January 3rd 09 03:07 AM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
2 265
Access is denied by Sam Hobbs[_2_]
I am getting a c0000005 (Access is denied) error from a console program after the console program executes. The error dialog appears to be blaming the CLI (the .Net CLI I presume). More specifically, I am trying to use the Netbeans IDE (programming environment) for PHP scripting. It is not a programming problem, however. I am trying to use the option to use PHP as a command-line script. The...
January 3rd 09 05:31 AM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post

From The